update firms after only one grade?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

update firms after only one grade?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 pm

I am a 1L at Berkeley and I just received my torts grade - HH (which is top 10% at Boalt)

I am wondering if I should update the firms that have yet to reject me for a 1L SA position. Is it petty to update after only one grade?

It is likely that this will be my only HH, so I would love to be able to notify them while it stands alone (and maybe? get an interview based on that). But if it is inappropriate to send the grade by itself, I obviously would like to avoid doing so.

Thanks for any and all input.

CG614

Re: update firms after only one grade?

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 pm

This sounds like a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 pm

OP here. That is my hunch as well. Any insight as to why, though?

I feel like if I was a recruiter, I wouldn't mind.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Think about how many law student send resumes to a firm, now would you want each one to update you with every grade?

Interested Observer

Postby Interested Observer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 pm

I would guess that it really depends on the recruiter, but absent knowing anything about the recruiter, I guess we can try to make some general observations.

First, do you know when the rest of your grades will be coming in? More specifically, do you have a firm date as to when all the grades will be posted? If so, and it's in the "near" future, you might just want to hold off and send them all together.

Second, I think you might want to show this one grade b/c it might "freeze" a rejection, but should you send this one grade, I would say wait until you receive all the others before you send them another update. That way, you're not put into an awkward situation where you're sending updates every time you get one grade.

The balance here is wanting to show a really good grade versus pissing off the recruiter. I want to say that recruiters would be used to this type of behavior and probably wouldn't even notice you sending in each grade individually. To be on the safe side, I might just wait a few days to see if you get any more grades, send whatever you have at that point, and then wait until all your grades are posted to send one final update. (I think it looks better when you have at least two grades to send as an "update," but that's just personal opinion based on absolutely nothing.)

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 pm

2L Boaltie here. Congrats on the HH! Definitely wait to send your transcript until all of your grades are in. As someone who used to work on the admin side of biglaw, you do *not* want to piss off recruiters by bombarding them with stuff they can't use. They can't bring you in for an interview with an incomplete transcript. Your file won't be ready for review until all of your grades for the semester are in. Be patient and wait until the rest come in. Even if they're Ps, the recruiter will still notice the HH. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm

OP here - thanks everyone for the helpful insight (and insider info in the case of Izziesgal).

I will wait for the rest of my grades.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Interested Observer wrote:I would guess that it really depends on the recruiter, but absent knowing anything about the recruiter, I guess we can try to make some general observations.

First, do you know when the rest of your grades will be coming in? More specifically, do you have a firm date as to when all the grades will be posted? If so, and it's in the "near" future, you might just want to hold off and send them all together.

Second, I think you might want to show this one grade b/c it might "freeze" a rejection, but should you send this one grade, I would say wait until you receive all the others before you send them another update. That way, you're not put into an awkward situation where you're sending updates every time you get one grade.

The balance here is wanting to show a really good grade versus pissing off the recruiter. I want to say that recruiters would be used to this type of behavior and probably wouldn't even notice you sending in each grade individually. To be on the safe side, I might just wait a few days to see if you get any more grades, send whatever you have at that point, and then wait until all your grades are posted to send one final update. (I think it looks better when you have at least two grades to send as an "update," but that's just personal opinion based on absolutely nothing.)

do you talk a lot in class

Interested Observer

Postby Interested Observer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 pm

ntugwater wrote:
Interested Observer wrote:I would guess that it really depends on the recruiter, but absent knowing anything about the recruiter, I guess we can try to make some general observations.

I never voluntarily speak in class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm

IIT we mock people for taking the time to provide elaborate feedback :roll:

Interested Observer, as the OP, I appreciated your response.

HRH

Postby HRH » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L at Berkeley and I just received my torts grade - HH (which is top 10% at Boalt)

:mrgreen:

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

If you have interviewed with a firm definitely send the grades as they come in. I asked this question at all of my interviews and everyone told me to send each grade to my recruiter as soon as I got it and then to mail a copy of my transcript when they were all in. As for firms you haven't heard from at all, I think I would just wait until you have them all.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If you were a recruiter, you would think that the person updating you grade by grade was either a huge tool or a kid that doesn't understand that you don't send someone 4 emails as your grades come in.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Probably why you're not a recruiter.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Don't do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”