Determining Summer Pay

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PirateCap'n

Determining Summer Pay

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:32 am

When sending unsolicited "mass-mail" inquiries for summer jobs, if an employer actually does offer an interview, when is the appropriate time to ask whether the position will be paid or unpaid? For small firms, I know that it is likely that the position will be unpaid, but, for mid-sized firms where it could go either way, what is the appropriate way to approach it?

2009 Prospective

Re: Determining Summer Pay

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 am

Don't mention pay until you have an offer in hand.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:12 am

State at the interview that you will work for nothing less than NYC market pay.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:20 am

Cavalier wrote:State at the interview that you will work for nothing less than NYC market pay.

Good idea. Think I'll go ahead and demand a rent-free penthouse with round-the-clock servants while I'm at it :wink:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:23 am

PirateCap'n wrote:When sending unsolicited "mass-mail" inquiries for summer jobs, if an employer actually does offer an interview, when is the appropriate time to ask whether the position will be paid or unpaid? For small firms, I know that it is likely that the position will be unpaid, but, for mid-sized firms where it could go either way, what is the appropriate way to approach it?

"Most small firms don't pay" is an untrue statement. That said, if you're looking for a 1L summer job in this economy, take the job and ask questions later...

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 am

I have never heard of an unpaid firm job...

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 am

SBL wrote:I have never heard of an unpaid firm job...

Same. Except for unverified anecdotal evidence on here of course.

Summer salary is usually just prorated first year associate salary. HTH

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Bosque wrote:

Maybe it's just a weird NC thing then. I know firsthand of at least 10 small (as in fewer than 5 attorneys) firms that treat summer internships as if the "pay" is getting the experience to learn from the attorneys in much the same way that the "pay" for a summer clerkship is the opportunity to learn from the judge.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:24 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Maybe it's just a weird NC thing then. I know firsthand of at least 10 small (as in fewer than 5 attorneys) firms that treat summer internships as if the "pay" is getting the experience to learn from the attorneys in much the same way that the "pay" for a summer clerkship is the opportunity to learn from the judge.

Bottom-feeder shitholes pay summer law students nothing. Good firms compensate employees for their work. You get what you pay for. No reputable firm would expect a law student to work for free.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Bottom-feeder shitholes pay summer law students nothing. Good firms compensate employees for their work. You get what you pay for. No reputable firm would expect a law student to work for free.

Agreed. I was just pointing out that some firms (although not exactly good firms) do not, in fact, pay summer associates since these guys didn't know that such firms existed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Get an unpaid job with one of them, then attempt to sue them under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Subsequent employers will look favorably upon your initiative.

phillaw

Postby phillaw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 pm

rad law wrote:Get an unpaid job with one of them, then attempt to sue them under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Subsequent employers will look favorably upon your initiative.

TITCR

Return to “Legal Employment”