Writing samples

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing samples

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm currently a first year law student thinking of applying for an organization concerning immigrant and refugee rights. The organization requires a writing sample and I was wondering if (in addition to my 1L memo) my personal statement used for law school admissions could be considered a writing sample. The reason I ask this is because my PS talks about my main motivation for applying to law school (regarding some immigration issues I've personally experienced).

Thanks!

Aqualibrium

Re: Writing samples

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a first year law student thinking of applying for an organization concerning immigrant and refugee rights. The organization requires a writing sample and I was wondering if (in addition to my 1L memo) my personal statement used for law school admissions could be considered a writing sample. The reason I ask this is because my PS talks about my main motivation for applying to law school (regarding some immigration issues I've personally experienced).

Thanks!

No one wants to read your personal statement...

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a first year law student thinking of applying for an organization concerning immigrant and refugee rights. The organization requires a writing sample and I was wondering if (in addition to my 1L memo) my personal statement used for law school admissions could be considered a writing sample. The reason I ask this is because my PS talks about my main motivation for applying to law school (regarding some immigration issues I've personally experienced).

Thanks!

At this point your writing sample should consist of your 1L memo, edited so that it is perfect. The contents of your personal statement may be useful in the cover letter that you send along with your resume/writing sample.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks!

As others have said, that's a big negative on sending your personal statement.

Employers want to see a legal writing sample that demonstrates not only your writing ability, but also legal reasoning.

Return to “Legal Employment”