2L losing complete hope

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2L losing complete hope

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:08 pm

ASM11 wrote:OP, try not to let the doom and gloom get the best of you. I know it sucks a lot, but still. Yeah, easier said than done, but you're probably smart and will find a way to make it work at some point.

Have you thought about going for a spring internship? Here's why I suggest it:

1. It can be easier to land an internship than a summer job, and it might lift your spirits and get you motivated in your job search
2. It'll broaden your horizons and make you aware of other options
3. It may help you in finding a job for a number of reasons (new skills, meet new people - and even if that's only a slim chance, when you're sitting in a classroom the chances of that helping you in your job search are close to zero)
4. It will get you out of the same routine you've been in which is probably something you'd benefit from right now

It's true that people think of law firms as the only private sector positions that will hire people out of law school, but that's not true, it's just that they're the only ones who have a constant demand for new hires. There are other options out there, you just need to find them as opposed to them finding you and the timing might not be so clean-cut. Try not to get down....just hustle...and make sure to take mental breaks from it when you can.

Have been attempting that route too. Unfortunately, externships and clinics are difficult to get into and spring internships have become difficult to find. Also have issue of time, since will be very busy this semester due to journal and moot court, along w/ others. I realize that firms are not the only private jobs, and have been applying to in house jobs. One problem is that a lot of those do not give offers, so still forced to redo OCI, and many of those jobs have very few hires.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Miracle wrote:
Most people go to law school with 0 WE

Most is an overstatement. Whatever the case, some of those without WE are well connected otherwise (I have a few such classmates), some have gone to prestigious UGs (which does appeal to some interviewers, many of whom themselves have gone to prestigious UGs), some shoot for less competitive secondary markets they're from and some, amazingly enough, have useful science majors that allow them to shoot for notably safer IP jobs.

Whatever the case, my point is that interviewing skills are much less relevant than you imagine.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Miracle wrote:Most people go to law school with 0 WE

No. At most (if not all) T14s students straight from undergrad are now the minority.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:53 pm

dresden doll wrote:my point is that interviewing skills are much less relevant than you imagine.

I have to agree and disagree with the quoted portion of your post. IMO, interviewing skills are INCREDIBLY important. However, I think they tend to take a back seat because so few people can legitimately claim to be a 7.5 or more out of 10 interviewer. Add to that the tremendous emphasis that is placed on grades and school, and you have a recipe whereby one's lack of interviewing skills can be bypassed.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 pm

OP: I feel your pain, and I have no bullshit 0L "You-can-gets-a-jerb" suggestions for you.

However I do have a cool black guy suggestion. Have you considered selling dope? I hear there's a vacuum over at Columbia, and with such a huge university, you could make money hand over fist. Plus, it's all tax-free and under the radar of debt collectors.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... 9f5mcZ5M/0

My recommendation is to start with some yayo, seeing as most of your classmates will be too uppity to start on crack, and the profit on weed is a pittance unless you're willing to cop pounds at a time.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for this article post. Good luck to OP in finding something- I think you still have plenty of time to get something for this coming summer, even if you don't get what you were ideally hoping for.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Lokomani wrote:OP: I feel your pain, and I have no bullshit 0L "You-can-gets-a-jerb" suggestions for you.

However I do have a cool black guy suggestion. Have you considered selling dope? I hear there's a vacuum over at Columbia, and with such a huge university, you could make money hand over fist. Plus, it's all tax-free and under the radar of debt collectors.

My recommendation is to start with some yayo, seeing as most of your classmates will be too uppity to start on crack, and the profit on weed is a pittance unless you're willing to cop pounds at a time.

Very helpful I'm sure, especially since you avoided the BS suggestions. :lol: How's that working for you anyway loco? I hear as long as you carry a piece and know how to use it you're good..... for a while. 8)
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Lokomani wrote:OP: I feel your pain, and I have no bullshit 0L "You-can-gets-a-jerb" suggestions for you.

This isn't funny. Also, in New York, there is never a shortage of drug dealers.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm an actual cool black guy, and I am offended. Whatever though...

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This isn't funny. Also, in New York, there is never a shortage of drug dealers.

I'm not joking. Also, White people are pretty afraid of the "big bad drug dealer" and would much rather deal with another student. It's a fairly insular market. But then again, being a JD you wouldn't have much business sense.

P.S. I'm black, and I have no problem making jokes like this.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Lokomani wrote:P.S. I'm black, and I have no problem making jokes like this.

Perhaps THAT IS the problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Lokomani wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This isn't funny. Also, in New York, there is never a shortage of drug dealers.

I'm not joking. Also, White people are pretty afraid of the "big bad drug dealer" and would much rather deal with another student. It's a fairly insular market. But then again, being a JD you wouldn't have much business sense.

And if you actually think arresting five frat guys whose biggest product movement was to the undercover cops somehow left rich white kids without a source of drugs, you don't know shit about Columbia or New York.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Nope. The problem is when people take offense at jokes because they're too close to the truth. Hang up the victim mentality.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Lokomani wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Nope. The problem is when people take offense at jokes because they're too close to the truth. Hang up the victim mentality.

The problem is probably more so the fact that African-Americans like yourself were stripped of their culture, and adopted a bastardized culture in it's place that sees no problem with self hatred, the perpetuation of stereotypes, and the generational trap of ignorance and poverty...

Again, whatever though. I don't have anything to do with that, and it's not why we are here.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lokomani wrote:

And if you actually think arresting five frat guys whose biggest product movement was to the undercover cops somehow left rich white kids without a source of drugs, you don't know shit about Columbia or New York.

Cops had no idea what time the kids started their ring. They moved over $200,000 just to cops over the course of several months, and had a grow operation in addition to cartel connects. That is a booming business, and 2 of the students were PAYING tuition + living expenses while working "part-time" (about 60-70k minimum). Think about how much you're gonna make in your summer jerb that doesn't exist.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:08 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Lokomani wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

The problem is probably more so the fact that African-Americans like yourself were stripped of their culture, and adopted a bastardized culture in it's place that sees no problem with self hatred, the perpetuation of stereotypes, and the generational trap of ignorance and poverty...

Again, whatever though. I don't have anything to do with that, and it's not why we are here.

It must be lonely up on that pedestal. I love my culture, and I hate noone. If you think anything I have said about drug dealing is real alternative to a career, you need to pull the stick out of your ass. Or at least put a bigger one in there to open up the gap so you can learn what it feels like to relax.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Lokomani wrote:
It must be lonely up on that pedestal. I love my culture, and I hate noone.

Not lonely at all...there are loads of other Africans around to shake their heads in despair at your plight. It's not your fault, we know.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Adjudicator wrote:ITT: Bitter anonymous 2L replies to himself. Or maybe not, but it is definitely more amusing if you imagine it that way.

It won't be so funny when you're going through OCI. Karma is a bitch.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm not sure what's less surprising: That there are NYU/Columbia grads having a tough time, or that this thread involved into a race debate.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Miracle wrote:Either a).your not attending NYU or Columbia, and are coming from a lower ranked school, where you did mediocre or b). you lack interview skills, knowledge to land yourself an employment.

To say that your attending NYU, or Columbia, and having hard time securing yourself employment-not to mention everyone else is having hard time securing themselves employment as well, I'm having hard time believing.

Another delusional 0L. Just what we needed.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:16 pm

RPK34 wrote:I'm not sure what's less surprising: That there are NYU/Columbia grads having a tough time, or that this thread involved into a race debate.

Probably the fact that you thought "involved" was the correct word to put into that sentence.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:
Miracle wrote:Either a).your not attending NYU or Columbia, and are coming from a lower ranked school, where you did mediocre or b). you lack interview skills, knowledge to land yourself an employment.

To say that your attending NYU, or Columbia, and having hard time securing yourself employment-not to mention everyone else is having hard time securing themselves employment as well, I'm having hard time believing.

Dude this isn't that hard to believe ITE.

Of course it is...

You go and look up stats of NYU, and Columbia from last year and come back and talk to me then. If 50 % of NYU's and Columbia's class couldn't secure employment do you realize what kind of headlines we would be reading right now. That would demolish both of the schools. To say its harder right now to secure employment, yes It's true, but to claim that almost everyone which would be more than 50% of the class is having hard time with employment is purely insane. There's just more to this that OP is not sharing.

Where the fuck have you been? There are a dozen or more mainstream media outlets that have reported on the glut of unemployed attorneys. If you don't want to listen to the truth, that's fine, but don't make fun of people who actually know what's going on.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:Where the fuck have you been ? There are a dozen or more mainstream media outlets that have reported on the glut of attorneys and the shit ROI of a law degree. If you don't want to listen to the truth, that's fine, but don't make fun of people who actually know what's going on.

/thread

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Lokomani wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Where the fuck have you been ? There are a dozen or more mainstream media outlets that have reported on the glut of attorneys and the shit ROI of a law degree. If you don't want to listen to the truth, that's fine, but don't make fun of people who actually know what's going on.

/thread

Return to “Legal Employment”