2L losing complete hope

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dresden doll

Re: 2L losing complete hope

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP, I've heard that a lot of litigation boutiques, small firms and some in house positions open up in the early winter/late spring. As a 1L, I worked for a smaller firm that didn't recruit for its SA position until late March/early April. I know you'd rather have a job by that point in the game, but I figure it might comfort you to know that not all hope is yet lost.

Good luck.

I've heard this before, but it has become very hard to believe. I have been unable to secure an interview w/ any such places that have posted online, and seeing the large number of 3Ls at my school who had to take public interest jobs for second summer isn't inspiring either. In addition, these jobs seem to rely more on geographic considerations and connections that I don't have.

I was under the impression that a lot of PI is centered in NYC. Since you're already in the city, I would think you'd have the requisite connection, no?

Of course, PI will look for a history of interest in PI, and I'm not sure whether you have it or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP, I've heard that a lot of litigation boutiques, small firms and some in house positions open up in the early winter/late spring. As a 1L, I worked for a smaller firm that didn't recruit for its SA position until late March/early April. I know you'd rather have a job by that point in the game, but I figure it might comfort you to know that not all hope is yet lost.

Good luck.

I've heard this before, but it has become very hard to believe. I have been unable to secure an interview w/ any such places that have posted online, and seeing the large number of 3Ls at my school who had to take public interest jobs for second summer isn't inspiring either. In addition, these jobs seem to rely more on geographic considerations and connections that I don't have.

I was under the impression that a lot of PI is centered in NYC. Since you're already in the city, I would think you'd have the requisite connection, no?

Of course, PI will look for a history of interest in PI, and I'm not sure whether you have it or not.

Was talking in terms of the private jobs that you mentioned.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Either a).your not attending NYU or Columbia, and are coming from a lower ranked school, where you did mediocre or b). you lack interview skills, knowledge to land yourself an employment.

To say that your attending NYU, or Columbia, and having hard time securing yourself employment-not to mention everyone else is having hard time securing themselves employment as well, I'm having hard time believing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Miracle wrote:Either a).your not attending NYU or Columbia, and are coming from a lower ranked school, where you did mediocre or b). you lack interview skills, knowledge to land yourself an employment.

To say that your attending NYU, or Columbia, and having hard time securing yourself employment-not to mention everyone else is having hard time securing themselves employment as well, I'm having hard time believing.

Dude this isn't that hard to believe ITE.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:35 pm

This thread scares me. Thinking it's nyu.

OP, try and network or something!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 pm

rad law wrote:
Miracle wrote:Either a).your not attending NYU or Columbia, and are coming from a lower ranked school, where you did mediocre or b). you lack interview skills, knowledge to land yourself an employment.

Of course it is...

You go and look up stats of NYU, and Columbia from last year and come back and talk to me then. If 50 % of NYU's and Columbia's class couldn't secure employment do you realize what kind of headlines we would be reading right now. That would demolish both of the schools. To say its harder right now to secure employment, yes It's true, but to claim that almost everyone which would be more than 50% of the class is having hard time with employment is purely insane. There's just more to this that OP is not sharing.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:41 pm

This is not correct.

OP,

Are you a transfer or an international student? How would you rate your interviewing skills? Also, how is the career services office being unhelpful? If it is a real problem, then you should tell us what school you go to too. Is there anything else to which you can contribute your employment woes?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:42 pm

OP didn't say he couldn't find any employment. He said he can't find the work he wants. He is at median or below and can't get a firm job and doesn't want to do certain types of government work. Why is that hard to believe?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Of course it is...

You go and look up stats of NYU, and Columbia from last year and come back and talk to me then. If 50 % of NYU's and Columbia's class couldn't secure employment do you realize what kind of headlines we would be reading right now. That would demolish both of the schools. To say its harder right now to secure employment, yes It's true, but to claim that almost everyone which would be more than 50% of the class is having hard time with employment is purely insane. There's just more to this that OP is not sharing.

Being below median - even at a T6 - makes it very hard to get firm work (that you really want) right now

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:

This is not correct.

OP,

Are you a transfer or an international student? How would you rate your interviewing skills? Also, how is the career services office being unhelpful? If it is a real problem, then you should tell us what school you go to too. Is there anything else to which you can contribute your employment woes?

What's not correct?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Of course it is...

Roughly 1/3 of students at NYU/CLS are just like the OP.

Being median at CCN with poor interview skills and no other draws = few to zero offers.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Of course it is...

Why are you even bringing up the 50 percent figure? Of course more than half the class at CCN can find a 2L summer job. That doesn't mean that there isn't a small fraction that's finding it legitimately hard to secure employment for themselves.

OP isn't the one that's speaking insanely ITT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:45 pm

thecilent wrote:
Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Of course it is...

Being below median - even at a T6 - makes it very hard to get firm work (that you really want) right now

You can't blame that on the school. That's his personal problem. Not to mention if he combines that with not so good interviewing skills, what result do you expect to get?

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:47 pm

OP probably isn't a transfer. Transfers usually do great with their high grades and whatnot.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Miracle wrote:Of course it is...

You can't blame that on the school. That's his personal problem. Not to mention if he combines that with not so good interviewing skills, what result do you expect to get?

Well obviously it is his problem. And yeah, I agree

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Miracle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Of course it is...

Why are you even bringing up the 50 percent figure? Of course more than half the class at CCN can find a 2L summer job. That doesn't mean that there isn't a small fraction that's finding it legitimately hard to secure employment for themselves.

OP isn't the one that's speaking insanely ITT.

Small fraction-that should say it all. My point is that if more than half of the class at CCN can find 2L summer job, and he can't that he ought to sit down and think about whats causing it. Listen, I'm not trying to be impolite to OP in any matter, all I'm trying to say is stop and examine what's wrong. Its an obstacle that he needs to work on. Nothing more than that. Even better-here's piece of advice, why don't you go and talk to your classmates and examine what questions they were asked, how did they respond etc, and compare it to your interview.

I'm not trying to be impolite as stated earlier just realistic.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Miracle obviously has only started law school and is way too hopeful about her prospects.

OP: I do go to Columbia/NYU. As stated, I am pretty average in terms of my stats. My interviewing skills are not great, which I admit has contributed to my poor performance at interviews in general along w/ possibly questionable bidding. I am not transfer or international (my writing was prolly too much stream of conscience in original post, so excuse me there). I have tried networking, which has been unsuccessful. Especially get shot down when the lawyers you are meeting have children at other law schools having difficult time getting employment.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't call being below median 'a personal problem.' 50 percent of class must place in that position. That's not a personal problem; it's the reality of the law school curve.

Also, good interviewing skills aren't necessarily sufficient to bail those that find themselves below median. I don't even understand why people are assuming that OP can't interview when it's far more likely that it's his lack of valuable WE/likely lackluster resume that helped do him in.

The majority of OCI interviewers don't personally make CB decisions. Hiring committees do. I hear personal charm doesn't travel long distance; resume, on the other hand, is a palpable factor to rely on in deciding who to bring in for a second assessment.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm

For clarification purposes, it seems that Miracle is a Georgetown hopeful awaiting his or her LSAT score...

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:55 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't call being below median 'a personal problem.' 50 percent of class must place in that position. That's not a personal problem; it's the reality of the law school curve.

Also, good interviewing skills aren't necessarily sufficient to bail those that find themselves below median. I don't even understand why people are assuming that OP can't interview when it's far more likely that it's his lack of valuable WE/likely lackluster resume that helped do him in.

The majority of OCI interviewers don't personally make CB decisions. Hiring committees do. I hear personal charm doesn't travel long distance; resume, on the other hand, is a palpable factor to rely on in deciding who to bring in for a second assessment.

Most people go to law school with 0 WE

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:For clarification purposes, it seems that Miracle is a Georgetown hopeful awaiting his or her LSAT score...

Actually, I already have my LSAT score but thank you on the interest of my personal life. :wink:

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Miracle wrote:Most people go to law school with 0 WE

Yeah and those that do will struggle being below median with poor interviewing skillz..

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:58 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:For clarification purposes, it seems that Miracle is a Georgetown hopeful awaiting his or her LSAT score...

Haha, search user posts feature is the best.

Countdown to Miracle's Unemployed Georgetown 2L Seeks Advice thread...

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

Haha, search user posts feature is the best.

Countdown to Miracle's Unemployed Georgetown 2L Seeks Advice thread...

With top 1/3rd grades.

ASM11

Postby ASM11 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 pm

OP, try not to let the doom and gloom get the best of you. I know it sucks a lot, but still. Yeah, easier said than done, but you're probably smart and will find a way to make it work at some point.

Have you thought about going for a spring internship? Here's why I suggest it:

1. It can be easier to land an internship than a summer job, and it might lift your spirits and get you motivated in your job search
2. It'll broaden your horizons and make you aware of other options
3. It may help you in finding a job for a number of reasons (new skills, meet new people - and even if that's only a slim chance, when you're sitting in a classroom the chances of that helping you in your job search are close to zero)
4. It will get you out of the same routine you've been in which is probably something you'd benefit from right now

It's true that people think of law firms as the only private sector positions that will hire people out of law school, but that's not true, it's just that they're the only ones who have a constant demand for new hires. There are other options out there, you just need to find them as opposed to them finding you and the timing might not be so clean-cut. Try not to get down....just hustle...and make sure to take mental breaks from it when you can.

Return to “Legal Employment”