2L losing complete hope Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiseowl

Silver

Re: 2L losing complete hope

Post by wiseowl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Most secondary markets are worse than NYC. At CLS, one of the easiest ways to strike out was to bid on a secondary market with median grades. NYC is a hiring bonanza compared to places like Boston/Philly/LA/SF/Chicago/DC.

That's why you don't rely solely on OCI, and you don't waist your bids on firms in those markets. It's too late for you now, but for the future students that might read this, start mailing targeted apps to firms (especially ones in secondary markets) in July. Be smart and be conservative with your OCI bids.
What exactly are these bids?

I have a friend at Dartmouth Tuck (b-school) who said that Tuck gives 1000 points to bid on OCIs if the employers dont select your resume from the CDO resume pile. It seems counterintuitive that these student bid on interviews @ firms that didnt want to look at their resume in the first place.
CCN are straight up lottery schools, meaning the firms have to interview everyone who bids on them and receives an interview through the online lottery. There is no prescreening and the firms don't post grade cutoffs. The OCS does not provide much in the way of guidance as to what the grade cutoffs are, so people have to make judgment calls based on their preconceptions and the information they pick up from alternative sources like online forums, practicing attorneys, students who have been through the process, rankings, etc. I (the poster in the original quote above) bid on a secondary market and got shut out. I simply did not know how selective that market would be, made a judgment call to bid there instead of NYC, and got burned. It is bound to happen to a certain number of people when you are working with limited information.
That's why I'm hoping the class of 2013 is reading this thread for their sakes. Unless you are a dynamite LR superstar, you cannot definitively bank on ANYTHING outside of NY.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 am

wiseowl wrote:That's why I'm hoping the class of 2013 is reading this thread for their sakes. Unless you are a dynamite LR superstar, you cannot definitively bank on ANYTHING outside of NY.
I think it could be a mistake to "count on" NY as well. You've still got to 1) do well enough to outshine the competition and 2) impress during interviews, which is something prestige and grades won't help you with. And the NY firms that take loads of people are largely sweatshops who rely on attrition to keep their leveraging balanced; they're actually counting on the fact that you probably won't last, at most, even 4-5 years there.

In this market nobody should be counting on anything. NY is far more realistic to get than other major markets, but treating even that as a sure thing (or even something close to it) would be a mistake.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am

OP: Don't drop out. That would be a huge mistake because then you have to pay off $120k in loans with no help.

However, if you stay then CCN will pay your loans off for you as long as you take a public interest job. And, tough as things seem right now, you WILL be able to find something with a CCN JD. It may not be a dream job. Hell, it may not even be anything you like, but you will find something. There are a million PI orgs in NY/NJ/CT/Philly (if you happen to be in NY at CN) and many in Midwest, too. At least then, even if your salary is low, you don't have to be burden by your loans because the school will pick up the tab for you.

But, quit now and those loans will be an albatross around your neck for 10 years or more.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

thrillhouse wrote:However, if you stay then CCN will pay your loans off for you as long as you take a public interest job. And, tough as things seem right now, you WILL be able to find something with a CCN JD. It may not be a dream job. Hell, it may not even be anything you like, but you will find something. There are a million PI orgs in NY/NJ/CT/Philly (if you happen to be in NY at CN) and many in Midwest, too. At least then, even if your salary is low, you don't have to be burden by your loans because the school will pick up the tab for you.
PI jobs are at least as hard to get as private practice jobs right now, especially in NJ/Philly. Almost no PI organizations hire fresh grads, so you'll have to compete for fellowship funding if you want to work somewhere, which is a crapshoot. You've got a somewhat better chance at PD and DA offices, but most of them don't even accept applications from people until they pass the bar. Good luck, but don't put all your eggs in the PI basket. Continue looking for private sector jobs as well.

nyulawguy

New

Post by nyulawguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 am

I know people that have been so stressed over jobs, without even considering what it is they are shooting for. Just relax a bit, and hang in there. Early interview week is just speed dating in essence, and just because you struck out there doesn't mean that are other opportunities all over the place. Just keep your eyes open and your head up, and remember that it happens at every single school, no matter how good or bad your grades are. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hoopster

New

Post by Hoopster » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Hoopster wrote:
dresden doll wrote:You can take comfort from the fact that I actually rag on my looks pretty frequently.
I knew I liked you for a reason: you're also very modest. :)

Now back to studying for finals. Sucks to have finals after Christmas break. YLS likes to mess with us in that way. :(
That is the most awful thing I've heard of but isn't it pass fail?
Nah, you get used to it after a couple years. :lol: Still, it's a bother having to think about the upcoming finals while opening your presents. I also spent pretty much my whole break working on a finals paper. That sucked but what you gonna do, right?

Yes, it's pass/fail. You'll still get Ps if you don't study hard but I shoot to get as many Hs as I can so I bust my ass to make it so. It gives me great personal satisfaction.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:49 am

es, it's pass/fail. You'll still get Ps if you don't study hard but I shoot to get as many Hs as I can so I bust my ass to make it so. It gives me great personal satisfaction.
Uhhh... I think his question was whether the grading system for the first semester is just pass or fail. not honors, pass, etc.

See:
Instead, it grades first-semester first-year students on a simple Credit/No Credit system. For their remaining two and a half years, students are graded on an Honors/Pass/Low Pass/Fail system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_Law_School

I think you might be douche-ing for no real reason here, chump.

Hoopster

New

Post by Hoopster » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 am

A&O wrote:
es, it's pass/fail. You'll still get Ps if you don't study hard but I shoot to get as many Hs as I can so I bust my ass to make it so. It gives me great personal satisfaction.
Uhhh... I think his question was whether the grading system for the first semester is just pass or fail. not honors, pass, etc.

See:
Instead, it grades first-semester first-year students on a simple Credit/No Credit system. For their remaining two and a half years, students are graded on an Honors/Pass/Low Pass/Fail system.

I think you might be douche-ing a little too hard here, chump.
Ah, it wasn't clear from your post what you meant, sorry. Yes, the first semester is actually basically a pass/pass.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:54 am

Hoopster wrote:
A&O wrote:

See:

Ah, it wasn't clear from your post what you meant, sorry. Yes, the first semester is actually basically a pass/pass.
This begs the question:

Why aren't you getting drunk?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
badfish wrote:ITT: The anonymous feature function is abused so much, it makes me wonder just how psychotic TLS posters really are.
there is no way this thread can be real.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm

A&O wrote:
Hoopster wrote:
A&O wrote:

See:

This begs the question:

That's because I'm a 2L now, in case you didn't know. :wink:

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 pm

This still begs the question:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

A&O wrote:This still begs the question:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Incorrect use of "begs the question"

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, the logical fallacy... woohoo you're so smart.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

A&O wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, the logical fallacy... woohoo you're so smart.
I'd don't care about the logical fallacy but it still isn't the correct words for what you meant.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Jesus christ. Two posts from you about this and you're already insufferable.

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:59 pm

A&O wrote:Jesus christ. Two posts from you about this and you're already insufferable.

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?
U mad?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:00 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
A&O wrote:Jesus christ. Two posts from you about this and you're already insufferable.

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?
U mad?
Whoa man, here comes the 4chan/xo lingo. I'm officially (a) wow'd by your brilliance and (b) stunned by your coolness and (c) amazed by your originality.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 pm

A&O wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?
U mad?
Whoa man, here comes the 4chan/xo lingo. I'm officially (a) wow'd by your brilliance and (b) stunned by your coolness.
I've actually never been on either one but apparently you must spend a lot of time there.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 pm

A&O wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?
U mad?
Whoa man, here comes the 4chan/xo lingo. I'm officially (a) wow'd by your brilliance and (b) stunned by your coolness.
Hey guys, lets go perform a couple afterbirth stairbortions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knottsingham

New

Post by Knottsingham » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm

thecilent wrote:
Miracle wrote:Most people go to law school with 0 WE
Yeah and those that do will struggle being below median with poor interviewing skillz..
What? This isn't true at all. At most of the top-14, 70% of the class or so goes with work experience. Only roughly 1/3 are straight out of undergrad. This is why the median age for 1Ls is 24/25. At Northwestern, almost everyone has work experience.

About 1/3 of Harvard, Columbia, and NYU students did not get an offer out of OCI last year. This thread doesn't represent an aberration.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
A&O wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
U mad?
I've actually never been on either one but apparently you must spend a lot of time there.
AreJay has already been a tool in The Lounge

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:19 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

This BEGS THE QUESTION:

WHO CARES?
U mad?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I've really had enough of this. Get on topic or go chill elsewhere.
I don't see how you guys agree to become mods. It's the same crap, day after day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”