1L Resume Bomb: Snail Mail or Email?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legalnoeagle

1L Resume Bomb: Snail Mail or Email?

Postby legalnoeagle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:28 am

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards email.

Most firms just point you to someone in HR, with physical and email address included.

MrAnon

Re: 1L Resume Bomb: Snail Mail or Email?

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 am

email. permits the recipient to broadcast your resume to a wider audience by forwarding it if he thinks it is okay but he can't use you.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

For law firms, go with email if that's easier for you. If snailmail is easier, then do that (it won't really make a difference)

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:38 am

So, if you do email, do you guys just let the email count as the "cover letter," or do you also attach a cover letter with the resume in addition to having a body to the email? I was planning on doing snail mail since email seems too informal to me, but, with stamps at 44 cents apiece and 150-200 apps and resume paper/envelopes, the costs add up if doing snail mail.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I use the body of the email as my "cover letter." This was recommended by my MBA administration (I am a JD/MBA student), but I would guess that it is fine advice for firm emails.

A mid-sized firm visited our school last fall and stated that e-mail was actually preferred by them. I think that, for the vast majority of firms, it doesn't matter either way. I also chose e-mail, which is more convenient, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Firms that you cold apply at and people you know - e-mail, judges and places you believe you are likely to get a job based on previous conversations, but don't know well - snail mail on nice paper in a resume envelope. Cost is 1.05 for postage for each hard copy sent this way.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:So, if you do email, do you guys just let the email count as the "cover letter," or do you also attach a cover letter with the resume in addition to having a body to the email? I was planning on doing snail mail since email seems too informal to me, but, with stamps at 44 cents apiece and 150-200 apps and resume paper/envelopes, the costs add up if doing snail mail.

I used to do that but I don't anymore. I think its better to just have a really short email saying who you are/ what you are applying to/ what's attached and attach your cover letter along with your resume and other documents. I think it looks more professional and I've gotten better responses that way

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 pm

ntugwater wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:So, if you do email, do you guys just let the email count as the "cover letter," or do you also attach a cover letter with the resume in addition to having a body to the email? I was planning on doing snail mail since email seems too informal to me, but, with stamps at 44 cents apiece and 150-200 apps and resume paper/envelopes, the costs add up if doing snail mail.

I used to do that but I don't anymore. I think its better to just have a really short email saying who you are/ what you are applying to/ what's attached and attach your cover letter along with your resume and other documents. I think it looks more professional and I've gotten better responses that way

+1 No one wants to open their email and see a wall of text. A short message conveys everything you need, and makes it easier to create a folder and file away all your attachments quickly.

Return to “Legal Employment”