Engineering Grad School after JD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Engineering Grad School after JD

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Wondering if anybody had any experience/thoughts about getting engineering grad degrees after JD to increase marketability for patent law. This isn't very common. I think I've only seen it in about 1 out of 50 or so, but nowadays graduate degrees are more and more common in patent law, just like how LLMs are prevalent in tax law.

Patriot1208

Re: Engineering Grad School after JD

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I imagine if you did that you would miss the boat on the top IP firm hiring. Most people will get the masters before law school and take the patent bar before OCI to increase marketability.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Get it before your JD.

If you got your MS after your JD you would probably miss out on OCI and thus dramatically lower your chances of finding a job. This is unless you already have connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

OP here. I already have a 2L SA in IP lined up. My BS is not in the most marketable area (it appears that the one and only marketable subject for BS degrees is EE these days). I am thinking about the scenario that I graduate unemployed.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:33 pm

If the ONLY impetus for getting the MS is to increase your biglaw marketability because you missed out in 2L SA hiring, then I'd definitely do LOTS of research to see if it was a good idea. My initial impression is that such an endeavor would probably not be the best course of action. You'd probably have a better shot at working connections/making connections. If the MS could act as a backup plan for a job/career in engineering, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Don't know your situation, though, but the MS doesn't really seem like a great idea.

As a side note if you're an 0L/1L and are patent bar eligible, then I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the patent bar. I had a non-EE engineering degree and took the patent bar prior to law school. Having that bullet point, in my opinion, paid DIVIDENDS during 2L OCI (read: more than a couple offers). OP, if you've got particular questions, PM me. Good luck!

benedict.assnold

Postby benedict.assnold » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:If the ONLY impetus for getting the MS is to increase your biglaw marketability because you missed out in 2L SA hiring, then I'd definitely do LOTS of research to see if it was a good idea. My initial impression is that such an endeavor would probably not be the best course of action. You'd probably have a better shot at working connections/making connections. If the MS could act as a backup plan for a job/career in engineering, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Don't know your situation, though, but the MS doesn't really seem like a great idea.

As a side note if you're an 0L/1L and are patent bar eligible, then I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the patent bar. I had a non-EE engineering degree and took the patent bar prior to law school. Having that bullet point, in my opinion, paid DIVIDENDS during 2L OCI (read: more than a couple offers). OP, if you've got particular questions, PM me. Good luck!

Ignorant UG non EE engineering major here also, so essentially any engineering degree qualifies one to sit for the patent bar?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm

benedict.assnold wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:If the ONLY impetus for getting the MS is to increase your biglaw marketability because you missed out in 2L SA hiring, then I'd definitely do LOTS of research to see if it was a good idea. My initial impression is that such an endeavor would probably not be the best course of action. You'd probably have a better shot at working connections/making connections. If the MS could act as a backup plan for a job/career in engineering, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Don't know your situation, though, but the MS doesn't really seem like a great idea.

Ignorant UG non EE engineering major here also, so essentially any engineering degree qualifies one to sit for the patent bar?

As long as it is in the following list (the names of the major must match according to a PLI rep I met last semester), then you can sit under category A

If your major is oddly named so it is not on this list, normally you can qualify under category B. It just takes some additional forms and effort

Biology
    Biochemistry
    Botany
    Computer Science *
    Electronics Technology
    Food Technology
    General Chemistry
    Marine Technology
    Microbiology
    Molecular Biology
    Organic Chemistry
    Pharmacology
    Physics
    Textile Technology
    Aeronautical Engineering
    Agricultural Engineering
    Biomedical Engineering
    Ceramic Engineering
    Chemical Engineering
    Civil Engineering
    Computer Engineering
    Electrical Engineering
    Electrochemical Engineering
    Engineering Physics
    General Engineering
    Geological Engineering
    Industrial Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering
    Metallurgical Engineering
    Mining Engineering
    Nuclear Engineering
    Petroleum Engineering

benedict.assnold

Postby benedict.assnold » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:02 pm

CyLaw wrote:
benedict.assnold wrote:

Does one require a JD in order to utilize the passing of the patent bar?
As long as it is in the following list (the names of the major must match according to a PLI rep I met last semester), then you can sit under category A

If your major is oddly named so it is not on this list, normally you can qualify under category B. It just takes some additional forms and effort

Biology
    Biochemistry
    Botany
    Computer Science *
    Electronics Technology
    Food Technology
    General Chemistry
    Marine Technology
    Microbiology
    Molecular Biology
    Organic Chemistry
    Pharmacology
    Physics
    Textile Technology
    Aeronautical Engineering
    Agricultural Engineering
    Biomedical Engineering
    Ceramic Engineering
    Chemical Engineering
    Civil Engineering
    Computer Engineering
    Electrical Engineering
    Electrochemical Engineering
    Engineering Physics
    General Engineering
    Geological Engineering
    Industrial Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering
    Metallurgical Engineering
    Mining Engineering
    Nuclear Engineering
    Petroleum Engineering

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm

benedict.assnold wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
benedict.assnold wrote:

**snip**

Does one require a JD in order to utilize the passing of the patent bar?

You don't need a JD to be a patent agent.

Return to “Legal Employment”