Detailed T14 Success Stories w/Salary Info. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mike12188

Silver

Re: Detailed T14 Success Stories w/Salary Info.

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 pm

160k in NYC with student loans is just getting by. You guys who think it's great are fucking retarded.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Mike12188 wrote:160k in NYC with student loans is just getting by. You guys who think it's great are fucking retarded.
Thank you.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
stonepeep wrote:Then don't go to law school if your reason for going is to make more money. Seriously. You wouldn't get to your "250k+ success story" until your 6th year in a lockstep Biglaw firm. Most people don't get Biglaw and many (most?) of the ones that do don't stay in Biglaw for that long.

Or do you think there is some secret career path where newly-minted law grads make more than Biglaw?
I'm getting my JD for another reason.
Fine, but the point still stands that you're not going to get what you're looking for out of this thread, even without the massive derail. Your best case scenario coming out of law school is making less money than you allegedly make now.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote: You aren't understanding, this isn't an opinion or argument that we can simple disagree about and go the other way. This guy is, without a doubt, wrong. There is no other side to the argument. There isn't a logical argument that he could use to win the argument. It is frankly, as absurd as any post i've ever seen. Only extreme language will properly explain extreme stupidity. Sorry, but 160k, in any city, is FAR more than just getting by or a pittance. As I already conceded, it is a lot less in NYC than Cincinnati, but that doesn't change the other two points.

Wow - just caught this nugget of naivete and almost feel guilty making fun of you at this point. Almost.

Patriot, have you actually lived (not with your parents) in a big city? Have you ever purchased a home or condo? Do you like "nice" things? Is "nice" to you an xbox? Do you know what cars are? How about relatively nice cars? Do you like to look sharp, or do you prefer shopping at old navy? Quick question: In a city, what is the average property tax amount on a 750k condo? Divide that by 12 and figure out what to do with it relative to the buffet-like 160k/yr salary that seems to impress you as much as the last twilight movie.

My teenie-bopper refences are getting a little weak, i'll admit, but THAT'S BECAUSE I'VE BEEN LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS YOU DOUCHEBAG. Ahem, and in this "real world" almost all of my friends make over 160k/yr.... yes, for most it's a combined amount with their spouse, but the fact remains, it's a pittance for a city. They all have to live according to a pretty strict budget and no one is "rolling in it" with this amount of salary.

Lets just be honest here, you're a 13 year old pimpled troll pretending to be applying to LS, right?
The answer to your first question is yes. Now, to move on, i'll suggest investing in a dictionary before you spend your money on other things. The word pittance should be in there, it will help you. Next, you list quite a few LUXURIES in that post. Not sure how those apply to anything being a pittance. Especially, considering you would easily be able to afford most of them anyways and some, like the car, you won't have in manhatten. Next, you state that you have a lot of very well-off friends. Well, since when does you have well-off friends change the realities of THE WORLD? Are you really this stupid?

Actually, this is almost too unbelievable now, i'm guess you are actually just an alt/troll.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:20 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:No, you are just a moron. Anyone who legitimately feels that 160k is a pittance, in any country in the world, is so disconnected with reality that they aren't even worth acknowledging. You, literally, are so stupid, that you can't comprehened simple realities. I'm sorry, you deserve to be mocked.
You're such a child... i'll keep this quick. I've made well over 160k for several years. In a big city with a relatively large mortgage and prop taxes, and.... oh what's the use. Yes Patriot, you're right. 160k is rich. Good luck with your perspectives.
Just to make this clear; i'm a child because I have a perspective that includes those around me? But you are an adult because you don't understand the realities of the world you live in and instead only focus on yourself while considering not being able to buy a rolex, poor?
Are you too stupid to understand the hilarious irony of your last statement? You're a child precisely because you aren't able to comprehend that 160k might not be a lot of money for a demographic outside of your own. Lol. You're perceiving everything relative only to a narrow group, and not in a broader sense that includes others with different perspectives. Oh man, you have a long way to go....

LOLWUT?

You mean, my perspective that includes everyone? Contrasted with your perspective that only includes you and your friends? WTF? Am I argueing with someone with downs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Mike12188 wrote:160k in NYC with student loans is just getting by. You guys who think it's great are fucking retarded.
just getting by and great have a very large gap in between them.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Do you live in North Dakota or something?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:23 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Do you live in North Dakota or something?
Quick question: where are you planning on attending Law school?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Nope, i've never lived in NYC or the bay area. But i've lived in the next tier of COL cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
LOLWUT?

You mean, my perspective that includes everyone? Contrasted with your perspective that only includes you and your friends? WTF? Am I argueing with someone with downs?

Yes, I'm downs with spelling arguing, arguing, and not "argueing," for whatever that's worth. Give up, your retarded is starting to show.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Not NYC.... DC, Chicago, MI.... maybe a few more south. We'll see.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 pm

tkgrrett wrote:This has to be the only forum in the world where people view things like savings and retirement accounts as "costs" and think of living in lower Manhattan as a necessity of NYC. There are like 9 million people living in NYC. How many of them do you all think are making 70-75k after taxes and a 2k/month student loan payment?? I have no clue what TLS people do with their money but that seems like plenty for a 20something with no kids even in NYC.
FTW?

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:This has to be the only forum in the world where people view things like savings and retirement accounts as "costs" and think of living in lower Manhattan as a necessity of NYC. There are like 9 million people living in NYC. How many of them do you all think are making 70-75k after taxes and a 2k/month student loan payment?? I have no clue what TLS people do with their money but that seems like plenty for a 20something with no kids even in NYC.
FTW?
No, I already discredited this by stating what should be obvious.... that we're not all 20 somethings with no kids.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Sweet.. was worried for a second that I might have you calling me poor all the time b/c I only lived in a nice 2k/month apt. instead of a luxurious 4k/month one, bought a $600 suit instead of a $1500 suit, and rode the subway instead of buying a fully loaded 7 series.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 pm

I do, however, agree that this thread should probably self-destruct at 100 posts.

Now, lets expand the success stories to T50 to make this easier... and minimum 100k. Is that fair?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 pm

You guys are being a bit ridiculous if you can't see the guys point. In NYC 160K after taxes, student loans, and bills is not that much money. You're not struggling by any means; but it sure as hell isn't worth 60+ hour work weeks in a hell hole NYC firm for 3 years.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:39 pm

ITT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-f01H6 ... re=related

it's all the same game
it's all the same pain
it's all the same game
it's all the same pain

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:40 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
FTW?
No, I already discredited this by stating what should be obvious.... that we're not all 20 somethings with no kids.
I dont think I will ever be in a situation in life that has you discrediting me... if you allow me time I could create a sliding scale for every single specific situation in the world rather than making statements that apply to the vast majority of the people on this board. Just tell me exactly what amenities you would like in your apt., exactly what car you want, exactly how old you are, how much you would like to have at retirement, what size diamond you want to buy your SO or future SO, etc.... Or if it saves you time, you could try to be smart enough to adjust for particulars that dont fit in the generalized statement that represents the vast majority of us.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Sweet.. was worried for a second that I might have you calling me poor all the time b/c I only lived in a nice 2k/month apt. instead of a luxurious 4k/month one, bought a $600 suit instead of a $1500 suit, and rode the subway instead of buying a fully loaded 7 series.
7 series in a city would be a bad idea... too long, would get beaten up. I'd go with a used G-wagon, but those are still around 50k. 50k over 60 months at 6% = $966/month. I'm sorry, but if I had to endure living in NYC chaos, I'd want a nice SUV that would still look good with a few scuffs/dings, but I'm a car guy, that's just me.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:43 pm

BruceWayne wrote:You guys are being a bit ridiculous if you can't see the guys point. In NYC 160K after taxes, student loans, and bills is not that much money. You're not struggling by any means; but it sure as hell isn't worth 60+ hour work weeks in a hell hole NYC firm for 3 years.
Umm its not that we arent seeing his point.. its that he isnt seeing our point. Its pretty obvious that this guy is trolling anyway so Im pretty much to doing this out of boredom.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:44 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
FTW?
I dont think I will ever be in a situation in life that has you discrediting me... if you allow me time I could create a sliding scale for every single specific situation in the world rather than making statements that apply to the vast majority of the people on this board. Just tell me exactly what amenities you would like in your apt., exactly what car you want, exactly how old you are, how much you would like to have at retirement, what size diamond you want to buy your SO or future SO, etc.... Or if it saves you time, you could try to be smart enough to adjust for particulars that dont fit in the generalized statement that represents the vast majority of us.
You do realize that what you just described is a psychological device people use to cope with being wrong, right? You simply mold any given situation around what is pleasing or non-threatening to you instead of admitting you're wrong, or out of control, etc, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:47 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You guys are being a bit ridiculous if you can't see the guys point. In NYC 160K after taxes, student loans, and bills is not that much money. You're not struggling by any means; but it sure as hell isn't worth 60+ hour work weeks in a hell hole NYC firm for 3 years.
Umm its not that we arent seeing his point.. its that he isnt seeing our point. Its pretty obvious that this guy is trolling anyway so Im pretty much to doing this out of boredom.
I'm just passing some time b/c i'm on vacay for the rest of the week.... and I do see other points. 160k is a hell of a lot for a city like... Indianapolis. It's just not a lot in NYC. Period.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
You do realize that what you just described is a psychological device people use to cope with being wrong, right? You simply mold any given situation around what is pleasing or non-threatening to you instead of admitting you're wrong, or out of control, etc, etc.
Lol.. dude.. if something says something that applies to 20 somethings with no kids.. and you arent a 20 something with no kids then obviously that doesnt apply to you. I dont know anything about psychological devices but I dont see how thats hard to understand. You didnt discredit anything, you just proved that you didnt fit into the category described. If someone says black kids with high-top haircuts shouldnt go into ames, iowa at night because 99% of black kids with high-top haircuts that enter ames, iowa at night are shot Im not gonna go "Aha, but we arent all black kids with high-top haircuts. You are wrong."
Last edited by rundoxierun on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smears

New

Post by smears » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 pm

This thread has been the biggest disappointment of my day.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 pm

smears wrote:This thread has been the biggest disappointment of my day.
Apparently you didn't watch Maury...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”