1L Summer Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

1L Summer Internships

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 am

So, I know I'm a 0L and about a year or so early for this question. However, I'm going to be telling my current job about my law school plans soon, and I'm curious if there might be opportunities for me here in the future.

I'm at a Fortune 500 retailer (home office, not in the field). Does this type of company typically offer summer internships to law students? If so, I'd like to express interest in obtaining such a position before I leave.


Thanks for your input!

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 1L Summer Internships

Postby Unitas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 am

Lwoods wrote:So, I know I'm a 0L and about a year or so early for this question. However, I'm going to be telling my current job about my law school plans soon, and I'm curious if there might be opportunities for me here in the future.

I'm at a Fortune 500 retailer (home office, not in the field). Does this type of company typically offer summer internships to law students? If so, I'd like to express interest in obtaining such a position before I leave.


Thanks for your input!


Really, asking us and not them? Not a great plan. Go ask them. Also with talking to them see about what firm they use and they may be able to transition you into that firm through a meetup or something. Network, but don't be obnoxious. Some questions though:

Do they have a large in-house legal department (or current interns)? If they do, do you do anything with them currently or work for anyone over them? If yes, talk to that person about it otherwise talk to supervisor about it.

If they don't have a large in-house legal department it probably is a no-go, meaning you probably won't get a job after graduation, so working with them will give experience that won't transfer and you already have a reference from the company so isn't worth that much.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: 1L Summer Internships

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks, Unitas

Unitas wrote:Really, asking us and not them? Not a great plan. Go ask them.


I certainly intend to, but I wanted to get a feel for what I can expect first.

Unitas wrote:Also with talking to them see about what firm they use and they may be able to transition you into that firm through a meetup or something. Network, but don't be obnoxious.


Good idea. I think I know who their outside counsel is (there's one firm that pretty much dominates this region), but it never hurts to ask as a segue into introductions!

Unitas wrote:Some questions though:

Do they have a large in-house legal department (or current interns)? If they do, do you do anything with them currently or work for anyone over them? If yes, talk to that person about it otherwise talk to supervisor about it.

If they don't have a large in-house legal department it probably is a no-go, meaning you probably won't get a job after graduation, so working with them will give experience that won't transfer and you already have a reference from the company so isn't worth that much.


They definitely have an in-house legal department, but I don't know how large it is. I'm an analyst at one of the brands, and the legal department is at "the center". They're located in different buildings, on different campuses, so I don't have a lot of insight on how the legal department operates, unfortunately.
I did work at a V50 before in a research role, and I know this company is a desirable potential client. I think experience and contacts here would be viewed as a positive when applying for firm summer positions for 2L, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how normal it is for a company this size to have interns and/or how normal it is for 1Ls to spend their summers as interns at companies instead of as clerks.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 1L Summer Internships

Postby Unitas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Lwoods wrote:Thanks, Unitas

Unitas wrote:Really, asking us and not them? Not a great plan. Go ask them.


I certainly intend to, but I wanted to get a feel for what I can expect first.

Unitas wrote:Also with talking to them see about what firm they use and they may be able to transition you into that firm through a meetup or something. Network, but don't be obnoxious.


Good idea. I think I know who their outside counsel is (there's one firm that pretty much dominates this region), but it never hurts to ask as a segue into introductions!

Unitas wrote:Some questions though:

Do they have a large in-house legal department (or current interns)? If they do, do you do anything with them currently or work for anyone over them? If yes, talk to that person about it otherwise talk to supervisor about it.

If they don't have a large in-house legal department it probably is a no-go, meaning you probably won't get a job after graduation, so working with them will give experience that won't transfer and you already have a reference from the company so isn't worth that much.


They definitely have an in-house legal department, but I don't know how large it is. I'm an analyst at one of the brands, and the legal department is at "the center". They're located in different buildings, on different campuses, so I don't have a lot of insight on how the legal department operates, unfortunately.
I did work at a V50 before in a research role, and I know this company is a desirable potential client. I think experience and contacts here would be viewed as a positive when applying for firm summer positions for 2L, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how normal it is for a company this size to have interns and/or how normal it is for 1Ls to spend their summers as interns at companies instead of as clerks.


?? I wouldn't say it is normal to clerk for a judge either. From what I have heard legal work is what matters no matter what it is. RA's want to work as professors or be in research, Firm workers want high pay, Think tank interns want to go into politics, Judicial interns want to see the judicial department for possible future clerkships and increase firm pay, DA's and PD's want to experience high volume litigation and possibly help people whether victims or suspects, and so forth. Your career goals are important to take into consideration to decide what to do. Do you want to work as in-house counsel later on? Easier work, but less pay and less excitement I would assume. The Fortune 500 company I worked for has a 20 member or so legal department, but all they really did was compliance and anything that would be a lawsuit they brought in an external firm. This is likely the case at a lot of companies. This would mean a summer of not much fun in my opinion, but your company may be different and it depends on the company. You wouldn't likely file anything with a court or go to court (a lot of jobs you won't go to court though as a 1L- most I would say).

I do know of people that did in-house internships and are happy with them, I also know a few dozen (probably 30 or so) in-house attorneys that all seemed very happy - don't know many of them well.

GS would probably be great though: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: 1L Summer Internships

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Unitas wrote:
Lwoods wrote:...

They definitely have an in-house legal department, but I don't know how large it is. I'm an analyst at one of the brands, and the legal department is at "the center". They're located in different buildings, on different campuses, so I don't have a lot of insight on how the legal department operates, unfortunately.
I did work at a V50 before in a research role, and I know this company is a desirable potential client. I think experience and contacts here would be viewed as a positive when applying for firm summer positions for 2L, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how normal it is for a company this size to have interns and/or how normal it is for 1Ls to spend their summers as interns at companies instead of as clerks.


?? I wouldn't say it is normal to clerk for a judge either. From what I have heard legal work is what matters no matter what it is. RA's want to work as professors or be in research, Firm workers want high pay, Judicial interns want to see the judicial department for possible future clerkships and increase firm pay, DA's and PD's want to experience high volume litigation and possibly help people whether victims or suspects, and so forth. Your career goals are important to take into consideration to decide what to do. Do you want to work as in-house counsel later on? Easier work, but less pay and less excitement I would assume. The Fortune 500 company I worked for has a 20 member or so legal department, but all they really did was compliance and anything that would be a lawsuit they brought in an external firm. This is likely the case at a lot of companies. This would mean a summer of not much fun in my opinion, but your company may be different and it likely depends on the company.

GS would probably be great though: --LinkRemoved--


:oops: The only real frame of reference is the resumes I saw in my first job at the V50 when I assisted an attorney on the recruiting committee (back in 2006...before everything changed, haha). It seemed all the applicants had clerkships on their resume from their 1L summer.
But you make lots of great points. I'm keeping an open mind re career (I know BigLaw is a long-shot), but I like M&A (my company hasn't done much in this regard since the economy downturn), employment law, anything transactional, real estate, etc.

Anyway, thanks for that GS link! That definitely gives me a good frame of reference for what's out there, so I don't sound like a complete idiot when I try to network.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.