1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:05 pm

keg411 wrote:
moandersen wrote:1L SA positions DO exist! For the first time since I started studying for finals last november, I am not ridiculously stressed out by something law school related. Feels nice.....

Congrats!

Meanwhile, I came down with the flu, so I had to cancel my mock interview. I was looking forward to it too because I could have gotten a taste of what a screener is like before OCI and I really like the firm :(.

Yall haven't OCI'd yet?

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Question:

Should I e-mail the firm I got a CB with and ask if I could send them another writing sample? The writing sample I submitted wasn't so hot and I want to maximize my chances at having a shot at this 1L SA gig.

I'm a little concerned because if I were to ask this, they might be like "then why didn't you hand in your best work in the first place?" but then again I'm surprised because this CB is through a diversity program and I made it through the first two rounds with the shitty writing sample.

I'd appreciate the input

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Question:

Should I e-mail the firm I got a CB with and ask if I could send them another writing sample? The writing sample I submitted wasn't so hot and I want to maximize my chances at having a shot at this 1L SA gig.

I'm a little concerned because if I were to ask this, they might be like "then why didn't you hand in your best work in the first place?" but then again I'm surprised because this CB is through a diversity program and I made it through the first two rounds with the shitty writing sample.

I'd appreciate the input

I'd just stick with the original writing sample.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm

OGR3 wrote:

I'd appreciate the input

I'd just stick with the original writing sample.

God this CB interview is HUGE.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I'd appreciate the input

$5 says they didn't read your sample.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:35 pm

rad law wrote:

I'd appreciate the input

$5 says they didn't read your sample.

Honestly, I'd love to pay you $5 and not have em read it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

rad law wrote:
keg411 wrote:
moandersen wrote:1L SA positions DO exist! For the first time since I started studying for finals last november, I am not ridiculously stressed out by something law school related. Feels nice.....

Congrats!

Meanwhile, I came down with the flu, so I had to cancel my mock interview. I was looking forward to it too because I could have gotten a taste of what a screener is like before OCI and I really like the firm :(.

Yall haven't OCI'd yet?

Meant 2L OCI.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:15 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
the pay is nowhere near 'market' for biglaw, but its at one of the largest firms in the state, so it should look solid on my resume - especially when considering the fact that I had no ties whatsoever before moving to NC, getting a 1L SA position as a 'northerner' in the good ol' boys network makes me feel like I did something right.

Congrats! Same here. Got my offer Friday. Was yours through OCI or mailings (if you don't mind my asking)?

Neither. Ill PM you.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 am

So I've been shooting out bunch of emails to top firms in NYC. Not about 1L because I already have that lined up...but about 2L. Sent out 25 emails yesterday, two got back to me today asking for me to send my application in now for the Summer 2012. Mind you, it is presidents day and they replied. I'm expecting more emails tomorrow.

One of the emails mentioned that they liked my "initiative." Just thought I would let you guys know...

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:So I've been shooting out bunch of emails to top firms in NYC. Not about 1L because I already have that lined up...but about 2L. Sent out 25 emails yesterday, two got back to me today asking for me to send my application in now for the Summer 2012. Mind you, it is presidents day and they replied. I'm expecting more emails tomorrow.

One of the emails mentioned that they liked my "initiative." Just thought I would let you guys know...

Whoa.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:So I've been shooting out bunch of emails to top firms in NYC. Not about 1L because I already have that lined up...but about 2L. Sent out 25 emails yesterday, two got back to me today asking for me to send my application in now for the Summer 2012. Mind you, it is presidents day and they replied. I'm expecting more emails tomorrow.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Was it just an email showing interest in the firm for next year?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 am

traehekat wrote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Was it just an email showing interest in the firm for next year?

I'm curious about this as well....

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I'm curious about this as well....

Yes, an email stating interest in the firm and asking when to apply, etc. Three sentences max I think. Short and sweet. But I'm making a new cover letter for each one that replies...that's taking forever

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm

i hear crickets chirping.

not a peep from any where.

has anyone just not found ANYTHING for 1L summer in the history of law school?

wth do I do. ugh.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

goosey wrote:i hear crickets chirping.

wth do I do. ugh.

If you haven't already, talk to professors or your alumni office to see if they have job leads or possible contacts for you. Professors might also be good for a research assistant position, but don't wait until May 1 to ask about one.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:42 pm

My summer employer sent me valentines. Small things like that (which were completely unexpected) mean a lot to a simple guy like me. I hope they aren't give me the bait-and-switch, though.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:My summer employer sent me valentines. Small things like that (which were completely unexpected) mean a lot to a simple guy like me. I hope they aren't give me the bait-and-switch, though.

I'm pretty sure the whole rationale for summer associateships is the ol' bait-and-switch.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:My summer employer sent me valentines. Small things like that (which were completely unexpected) mean a lot to a simple guy like me. I hope they aren't give me the bait-and-switch, though.

I'm pretty sure the whole rationale for summer associateships is the ol' bait-and-switch.

Yeah, I'm just lying to myself to make me feel better.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

wth do I do. ugh.

i know people have mentioned it before (including me) but have you tried AG/PD offices (both state and county)?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:54 pm

traehekat wrote:

wth do I do. ugh.

i know people have mentioned it before (including me) but have you tried AG/PD offices (both state and county)?

2 interviews coming up but I have nothing as of right now so I am with you. I have a second batch of apps in mind but I feel fairly confident about one of the interviews and dont want to waste time I could be using outlining to send it out.

Funny thing is if you told me at the start of first semester what my grades would have been I would have bet you $20 you were wrong. Then after I got them if you told me I wouldn't have a job late February with those grades I would have bet you my tuition that you'd be wrong... oh life.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Just got an interview for an in-house SA position this Friday.

What types of questions should I expect that might be specific to the position?

I've already had the interviews with the "Why law school?" and similar questions, but should I expect any unique questions for an in-house position?

also... i may have already accepted a non-paying position...that i would run away from quickly if I got this...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

My SA CB interview is tomorrow morning, and of course our brief is also due tomorrow. Going to have to get up real early to do more research on my interviewers. On the bright side, the bar will be waiting for me tomorrow night for a much needed stress release.

At least the brief is keeping me busy enough not to get nervous, I suppose that's a plus.

edit: just saw your post geek, I'll be happy to let you know what kind of questions I got asked if you want.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 pm

beach_terror wrote:My SA CB interview is tomorrow morning, and of course our brief is also due tomorrow. Going to have to get up real early to do more research on my interviewers. On the bright side, the bar will be waiting for me tomorrow night for a much needed stress release.

At least the brief is keeping me busy enough not to get nervous, I suppose that's a plus.

edit: just saw your post geek, I'll be happy to let you know what kind of questions I got asked if you want.

Wait so is this for a firm or in-house?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:also... i may have already accepted a non-paying position...that i would run away from quickly if I got this...

Wait, what?

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:18 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:My SA CB interview is tomorrow morning, and of course our brief is also due tomorrow. Going to have to get up real early to do more research on my interviewers. On the bright side, the bar will be waiting for me tomorrow night for a much needed stress release.

Wait so is this for a firm or in-house?

In-House

Naturally looking up the company, and reading over the job description.

Just not sure what questions may be unique to an in-house interview.

Stanford4Me wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:also... i may have already accepted a non-paying position...that i would run away from quickly if I got this...

Wait, what?

Was taken aback by an offer from a PI office, said yes, immediately regretted it.

I know, i know...

bring on the rage, plz

Return to “Legal Employment”