1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Stop wearing skinny jeans and hipster glasses.

BOOM

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I want so badly to break into the GOBN

Stop wearing skinny jeans and hipster glasses.

yousonofa

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:33 pm

So I had a screener interview at 1L OCI with one of the top-flight firms. I didn't get a callback, but I got a nice rejection e-mail saying how sorry they are they couldn't invite me in for further interviews, but if I want, I can come in and have lunch with a few more attorneys and learn more about the firm. My question is, am I stupid for declining that offer? My grades put me in the top 1-2% of my class at my T18. Based on past grade cutoffs, I just need to get median grades this semester to stay in the top 10% (but I'm working just as hard as last semester anyway). This is a firm I'd like to consider for OCI, and I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful - but I just don't have the time. So, am I stupid?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I had a screener interview at 1L OCI with one of the top-flight firms. I didn't get a callback, but I got a nice rejection e-mail saying how sorry they are they couldn't invite me in for further interviews, but if I want, I can come in and have lunch with a few more attorneys and learn more about the firm. My question is, am I stupid for declining that offer? My grades put me in the top 1-2% of my class at my T18. Based on past grade cutoffs, I just need to get median grades this semester to stay in the top 10% (but I'm working just as hard as last semester anyway). This is a firm I'd like to consider for OCI, and I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful - but I just don't have the time. So, am I stupid?

You don't have time to eat? Lol wut. Make time.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I had a screener interview at 1L OCI with one of the top-flight firms. I didn't get a callback, but I got a nice rejection e-mail saying how sorry they are they couldn't invite me in for further interviews, but if I want, I can come in and have lunch with a few more attorneys and learn more about the firm. My question is, am I stupid for declining that offer? My grades put me in the top 1-2% of my class at my T18. Based on past grade cutoffs, I just need to get median grades this semester to stay in the top 10% (but I'm working just as hard as last semester anyway). This is a firm I'd like to consider for OCI, and I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful - but I just don't have the time. So, am I stupid?

Agreed. Even if you're not going to work at that firm, law is a very close-knit profession and those attorneys may very likely put in a good word for you with a friend of theirs at another firm. Also, it could help you for 2L OCI. Lastly, a free lunch ain't bad, I'd have lunch with the shittiest shit lawyer if they were buying.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:07 pm

rad law wrote:

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Hell yes that would be stupid? You don't have time. Lol, give me a break.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Any tips for interviewing with the head honcho on your CB? I'm a bit nervous, but I figure if I can impress the first named partner during my interview I'll have a good shot at getting the job. The interview is actually head honcho + associate.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:Any tips for interviewing with the head honcho on your CB? I'm a bit nervous, but I figure if I can impress the first named partner during my interview I'll have a good shot at getting the job. The interview is actually head honcho + associate.

Be yourself. Show your excitement for working with the firm. Don't kiss ass and don't be an asshole.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:Any tips for interviewing with the head honcho on your CB? I'm a bit nervous, but I figure if I can impress the first named partner during my interview I'll have a good shot at getting the job. The interview is actually head honcho + associate.

Same as impressing anyone else bro.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Ask normal-person questions about the things that make him awesome. Don't seem like a stalker, having done tons of research, but if s/he brings up one of the things they've done that are pretty cool, be prepared with a question.

Example: I interviewed with a top partner at a litigation firm who was a Rhodes Scholar and SCOTUS clerk, two things that the partner brought up in the interview. Toward the end, I asked him/her which college at Oxford they studied in, and what they thought of the community there, since a friend of mine was applying for the Rhodes in the fall. S/he ended up talking about it for 15 minutes, and ended up being the person who actually extended my offer a few days later (and even offered to give my friend advice on the application).

I knew his/her credentials beforehand, and having done my research was ready to insert questions like that if the opportunity arose. Don't bring it up yourself, but be ready for the 3-4 things they might tell stories about. You may get lucky and have a chance to get them talking about something they love to talk about, which only bodes well for their memory of you.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:00 pm

1L SA positions DO exist! For the first time since I started studying for finals last november, I am not ridiculously stressed out by something law school related. Feels nice.....

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:13 pm

moandersen wrote:1L SA positions DO exist! For the first time since I started studying for finals last november, I am not ridiculously stressed out by something law school related. Feels nice.....

I take it you got an offer? Congrats!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:14 pm

I just wish the firms I applied to would get back to me with any sort of response. Out of the 80 I applied to, I've heard from about 25 or 30, all rejections. Not sure exactly what happened to the other 50 MIA apps.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
moandersen wrote:1L SA positions DO exist! For the first time since I started studying for finals last november, I am not ridiculously stressed out by something law school related. Feels nice.....

Yup. I got lucky because I only applied to a couple places total, plus a few bids at spring OCI. Definitely dumb on my part. Im not expecting similar luck when I shoot for a 2L SA position in the fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Is it common to be without work at this juncture? I am feeling stressed out. T6 at about median with significant work experience. I just want to lock down a summer position and not worry anymore.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

moandersen wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Yup. I got lucky because I only applied to a couple places total, plus a few bids at spring OCI. Definitely dumb on my part. Im not expecting similar luck when I shoot for a 2L SA position in the fall.

congrats man that is awesome!

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to be without work at this juncture? I am feeling stressed out. T6 at about median with significant work experience. I just want to lock down a summer position and not worry anymore.

Paid or unpaid? There are still places that are accepting applications, but they're likely going to be unpaid at government or PI. If you want something that's paid, you might also want to look into working as a research assistant for a professor, it won't be much, but it's work and it'll be better than no income.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to be without work at this juncture? I am feeling stressed out. T6 at about median with significant work experience. I just want to lock down a summer position and not worry anymore.

Paid or unpaid? There are still places that are accepting applications, but they're likely going to be unpaid at government or PI. If you want something that's paid, you might also want to look into working as a research assistant for a professor, it won't be much, but it's work and it'll be better than no income.

Lol, wut?

What top school doesn't have SWeet funding for summer PI?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Veyron wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Lol, wut?

Oh I'm sorry, we peons in the T2 have to beg for change outside of a 7-11 if we're working PI for the summer.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:45 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Lol, wut?

Oh I'm sorry, we peons in the T2 have to beg for change outside of a 7-11 if we're working PI for the summer.

You are forgiven, now go and sin no more.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm

moandersen wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Grats bro. Would stab a hobo to be in your position.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 pm

rad law wrote:
moandersen wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Grats bro. Would stab a hobo to be in your position.

thanks. the pay is nowhere near 'market' for biglaw, but its at one of the largest firms in the state, so it should look solid on my resume - especially when considering the fact that I had no ties whatsoever before moving to NC, getting a 1L SA position as a 'northerner' in the good ol' boys network makes me feel like I did something right.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Congrats!

Meanwhile, I came down with the flu, so I had to cancel my mock interview. I was looking forward to it too because I could have gotten a taste of what a screener is like before OCI and I really like the firm :(.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 pm

the pay is nowhere near 'market' for biglaw, but its at one of the largest firms in the state, so it should look solid on my resume - especially when considering the fact that I had no ties whatsoever before moving to NC, getting a 1L SA position as a 'northerner' in the good ol' boys network makes me feel like I did something right.

Congrats! Same here. Got my offer Friday. Was yours through OCI or mailings (if you don't mind my asking)?

Return to “Legal Employment”