1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2L2011

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Summer intern jobs as easy as hell to get. You could drool on yourself and get one.
I spent my firm term doing the equivelent of one without any training at all when I walked in the door.
Life dosn't have to be hard unless you make it that way guys.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
2L2011 wrote:focused
2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.

This is the worst advice I've ever seen on TLS, it's so important to have a 1L summer job to be competitive for a 2L summer job

+1

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm

2L2011 wrote:Summer intern jobs as easy as hell to get. You could drool on yourself and get one.
I spent my firm term doing the equivelent of one without any training at all when I walked in the door.

Flame

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 pm

refer to above post

Coolgrnmen wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:
2L2011 wrote:focused
2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.

This is the worst advice I've ever seen on TLS, it's so important to have a 1L summer job to be competitive for a 2L summer job

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a public interest job available which I would be interested in doing, it's certainly better than nothing, but there are a number of other jobs I would much rather have that I haven't heard back from and I think I am competitive at (relevant connections/experience). One just started taking applications this week.

If I take the PI job, would it be terrible of me to bail on it if I get offered something significantly better? What would be the repercussions?

Ok, I did some of my own research and it sounds like accepting then bailing would be very bad. So I guess the best solution would be to alert the other places I applied to of my situation, and if necessary ask for a short extension.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm

2L2011 wrote:Summer intern jobs as easy as hell to get. You could drool on yourself and get one.

Assuming this isn't flame, your advice is atrocious.

Go ask any NLJ 250 hiring partner. Go ask any prestigious PI hiring attorney. Go ask any respectable government agency. They will all tell you the same thing: having a summer job is infinitely better for 2L OCI than taking some stupid ass summer class in "Law and Basketweaving." They don't really care all that much what the job is exactly, they just want to see something in the legal profession. And it has nothing to do with how easy/difficult they are to get; it's about having a talking point for OCI.

The only reason I took the time to respond to this idiotic advice is because I don't want someone to take it. Based on some conversations I've had with my 1L friends at other schools, it seems there is an attitude among many 1Ls at lower-tiered schools that not having a job is perfectly acceptable, and they wind up taking classes or traveling the world. For the love of god, no one do this. And don't ask me, I'm just a 1L myself. Go ask some attorneys (and not your local solo practitioner around the corner).

Work in a legal setting, use your research/writing skills a little bit in the real world, make some legal connections, and most importantly, put it on your resume so you can talk about it at OCI. If you blow off your 1L summer and don't get a job, you do so at your own peril.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a public interest job available which I would be interested in doing, it's certainly better than nothing, but there are a number of other jobs I would much rather have that I haven't heard back from and I think I am competitive at (relevant connections/experience). One just started taking applications this week.

If I take the PI job, would it be terrible of me to bail on it if I get offered something significantly better? What would be the repercussions?

Ok, I did some of my own research and it sounds like accepting then bailing would be very bad. So I guess the best solution would be to alert the other places I applied to of my situation, and if necessary ask for a short extension.

How bad is very bad? Is it very bad even if you are offered a paying 1L gig? Would they not understand?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 pm

As such, I am deeply committed to preventing what many of these children believe is the inevitable chance that they will face jail time.

Where do the commas go here? I'm terrible with that sort of thing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 pm

TTH wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As such, I am deeply committed to preventing what many of these children believe is the inevitable chance that they will face jail time.

Where do the commas go here? I'm terrible with that sort of thing.

The sentence is kind of awkward, but I think you have the comma right. I'm not grammar expert, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Got another federal magistrate judge interview, this time from my home state where I intend to practice. So that's 2 interview offers in the past 2 days. Sure, its not district court judge interviews, but at the very least it confirms that there are a number of judges who are still making calls.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Got a screener at a firm through a targeted mailing to a partner. It's in the city where my school is, but the possible job is in a different city. It's a little bit of a lol wut situation, but whatever, I'll take it.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it make any sense to do a judicial internship with a federal bankruptcy judge if my goal is to work in a firm during my 2nd summer and beyond (and not necessarily for anything having to do with bankruptcy)? Its odd I even got an interview offer seeing as my cover letter was all about my prospective interest in employment litigation. Or is this one of those situations where TCR is that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer as long as it is law related and gives you some talking points for OCI?

I think it's a good option. You may end up liking bankruptcy law, especially if you like litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

One magistrate judge (flyover district) told me that he wasn't even looking at applications until March 1.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One magistrate judge (flyover district) told me that he wasn't even looking at applications until March 1.

iiiiinttteerrreessttinnnggggg................

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 am

Or just end up needing to know how to file for it! :lol:

holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it make any sense to do a judicial internship with a federal bankruptcy judge if my goal is to work in a firm during my 2nd summer and beyond (and not necessarily for anything having to do with bankruptcy)? Its odd I even got an interview offer seeing as my cover letter was all about my prospective interest in employment litigation. Or is this one of those situations where TCR is that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer as long as it is law related and gives you some talking points for OCI?

I think it's a good option. You may end up liking bankruptcy law, especially if you like litigation.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 am

We had a 1L job panel and even the 2L who actually studied abroad said it hurt him in his 2L job search and he wished that he worked. I'm sure that post was a FLAME and a half, but seriously - NO ONE TAKE THAT ADVICE.

Also congrats to everyone getting interviews!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:13 am

All resumes in.

2 firms and 4 professors for RA positions.

Nothing left to do now but wait. Is anyone else just looking for research assistant positions? I know with my grades a firm job without contacts is unlikely, and an RA in the practice area I want to work sounds a heckofa lot more interesting, while still being an adequate form of summer employment w/r/t interviewing in the fall.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:All resumes in.

Nothing left to do now but wait. Is anyone else just looking for research assistant positions? I know with my grades a firm job without contacts is unlikely, and an RA in the practice area I want to work sounds a heckofa lot more interesting, while still being an adequate form of summer employment w/r/t interviewing in the fall.

did u ask for these or simply respond to positions that were already posted?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:36 am

goosey wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:All resumes in.

did u ask for these or simply respond to positions that were already posted?

I asked for them, all 4 of them are planning on taking an RA, but none of them had really thought posting anything about it yet. I think the idea that I approached them with interest in the job before they made it public impressed them to some degree (I think), and so it would be possible that one of them hires me instead of posting it on symplicity.

I guess the key here is to aim low, early, and aggressively.

But I don't have any hard acceptance yet, so maybe this was all for naught, and i'll just end up being the manager of a chick fila again this summer.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:and i'll just end up being the manager of a chick fila again this summer.

Free shakes!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

First real CB done. Not sure how it went. The 3 interview slots all went about as good as my screener (which got me the CB) so that can't be too bad.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:27 pm

applied to a judge...is it bad to call the clerk [his contact info is given on the posting] and ask when they expect to start reviewing applications? or is the rule generally to just sit down, shut up, and wait to be called on

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

goosey wrote:applied to a judge...is it bad to call the clerk [his contact info is given on the posting] and ask when they expect to start reviewing applications? or is the rule generally to just sit down, shut up, and wait to be called on

With the sheer number of judges I applied to, it would have been impractical to call and inquire. However I did this in a few special cases. Some judges had called me after I applied to tell me that they liked my app and wanted me to send grades when they come out. Since those particular judges appeared interested, I called up the chambers to make sure they received grades and find out when they are interviewing. One had already hired someone but the other 2 said that they would be looking at apps in March

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Apparently these prosecutor's office internships are not too hard to get. Got accepted to one today without an interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”