1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many 1l summer jobs pay? Just V100? Also, if goal out of school is big law, would a summer internship with legal counsel of US house of representatives be useful?

It's rare to find a summer 1L job that pays, but your school may offer grants for working Government or public interest. My school pays close to $4000 for the summer.
It's also very rare for large firms (like those on vault) to hire 1L interns at all. Big Law firms look for federal legal work or even research with professor for experience. They don't expect you to know everything about your job coming in 2L summer, but only that you know how to research and got plenty of experience doing so.
Legal counsel with US House would be good I would think...don't know much about it though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

ACLU interview was a disaster. Never ask them the best way to get a job there after graduation. They'll tell you it's basically impossible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Had interviews with two different district USAO that are both near my school. I thought they both went relatively well. One was for a criminal division, mostly, and the other was for a civil division. During one of them I got asked all sorts of questions from a list they had, and the other they literally asked me nothing except if I had any questions. In that one they seemed to like to talk about what they do and what they have interns do, etc, and whenever I asked a question they both told stories for a while. Hoping I get at least one offer.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

rad law wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?

For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.

^
l
l--- short answer.... long answer is to get "Guerrilla Tactics" http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Legal-Dreams/dp/0159003172

likely more useful than your CSO...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ACLU interview was a disaster. Never ask them the best way to get a job there after graduation. They'll tell you it's basically impossible.

TBF, I'm not even interested in PI and I knew that.

But sorry to hear it went poorly.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

How big of a factor do you think grades play in getting a 1L SA gig? I went though a diversity program in my city and got an interview scheduled with a firm. Is it mostly character & fit? Or strictly credentials? I'm curious because the firms don't really have a say in picking candidates...it's through a random selection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Had my first 1L OCI screening interview today...I was asked like 3 questions and the interviewer opened it up for ?s for me. Idk what that mean...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my first 1L OCI screening interview today...I was asked like 3 questions and the interviewer opened it up for ?s for me. Idk what that mean...

It can mean anything. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it make any sense to do a judicial internship with a federal bankruptcy judge if my goal is to work in a firm during my 2nd summer and beyond (and not necessarily for anything having to do with bankruptcy)? Its odd I even got an interview offer seeing as my cover letter was all about my prospective interest in employment litigation. Or is this one of those situations where TCR is that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer as long as it is law related and gives you some talking points for OCI?

Just bumping this since I'm interested to hear from anyone who worked with a bankruptcy court judge and whether this would be a good opporunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ACLU interview was a disaster. Never ask them the best way to get a job there after graduation. They'll tell you it's basically impossible.

TBF, I'm not even interested in PI and I knew that.

But sorry to hear it went poorly.

Me too. I was quite gung-ho about working there. Even for the summer. They said it'll be a few weeks before I hear back, but, I'm not counting on it. It was a phone interview, and despite the fact that I always have great service they kept breaking up. There were long silences where I couldn't tell if I was supposed to talk or if they were. And there were like 4 of them on the other end. My voice was practically shaking during the first question they asked me, and they only asked me two before asking me if I had any questions. I'm actually kind of mad, given how much time I spent prepping for this interview.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am

Just learned that 2L OCI moved to August 8-16... seems so soon...

only way I've heard is Stanford-->Fed Clerckship--> Fed PD for several years

but even someone that gets to that point probably has uphill battle...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:23 pm

USAO in NYC or SA in small but prominent firm that works in areas not very related to my interests? Is USAO more prestigious for 1L? Money would be nice but not really desperately needed. Any impact whatsoever on eventual clerkships? 2L OCI?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USAO in NYC or SA in small but prominent firm that works in areas not very related to my interests? Is USAO more prestigious for 1L? Money would be nice but not really desperately needed. Any impact whatsoever on eventual clerkships? 2L OCI?

Possibility of 2L or post-grad offer from the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:USAO in NYC or SA in small but prominent firm that works in areas not very related to my interests? Is USAO more prestigious for 1L? Money would be nice but not really desperately needed. Any impact whatsoever on eventual clerkships? 2L OCI?

Possibility of 2L or post-grad offer from the firm?

no idea but not worried at all about postgrad firm offers, will be fine at 2L oci, should have no trouble getting offer at v20.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm

applied to another in-house position today.

it seems like everyone around me has multiple interviews and job offers already. started to squirm

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:33 pm

goosey wrote:applied to another in-house position today.

it seems like everyone around me has multiple interviews and job offers already. started to squirm

Any idea what in-house summer positions pay? I've never really looked at them seriously since I figure they probably won't hire me after graduation, but I'd be happy to take some of their money for the summer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

TTH wrote:

Any idea what in-house summer positions pay? I've never really looked at them seriously since I figure they probably won't hire me after graduation, but I'd be happy to take some of their money for the summer.

The one that I applied to pays 1,600 a week IIRC.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TTH wrote:

the one you applied to pays :shock: you mean proper employment right, not just for summer?

Because everywhere I applied [mostly] is for credit if you want, otherwise just experience. one place pays 25/hr...another is a diversity program that pays 8k for the summer

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TTH wrote:

Can you share market, industry, or both?

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm

2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.

lol

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm

2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:40 pm

2L2011 wrote:focused

This is the worst advice I've ever seen on TLS, it's so important to have a 1L summer job to be competitive for a 2L summer job

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I have a public interest job available which I would be interested in doing, it's certainly better than nothing, but there are a number of other jobs I would much rather have that I haven't heard back from and I think I am competitive at (relevant connections/experience). One just started taking applications this week.

If I take the PI job, would it be terrible of me to bail on it if I get offered something significantly better? What would be the repercussions?

Return to “Legal Employment”