1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Anyway to remedy failing to mention that you are from a particular state and failing to write your home address, for a state government internship? I'm such an idiot.

Update your stuff to include an in-state reference, maybe with some description of how well you know this person b/c you grew up/studied/started your career in ___. ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 pm

e-mail today for a SA position interviewed for last week... summed up: "Thanks again. We plan to make a decision by the end of next week. Please let us know if anything comes up in your candidacy in the meantime"

positive... neutral... doesn't mean shit?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:e-mail today for a SA position interviewed for last week... summed up: "Thanks again. We plan to make a decision by the end of next week. Please let us know if anything comes up in your candidacy in the meantime"

positive... neutral... doesn't mean shit?

Pretty neutral. It's good that they care enough to update you on the process, and want to know if you receive any other offers so they can speed up your process if necessary, but on the whole I'd encourage you to keep your hopes low (as I do, as a general rule w/r/t employment).

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:15 pm

TTH wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Anyway to remedy failing to mention that you are from a particular state and failing to write your home address, for a state government internship? I'm such an idiot.

Update your stuff to include an in-state reference, maybe with some description of how well you know this person b/c you grew up/studied/started your career in ___. ?

I just sent in a list of references, so I don't think this will work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Had a phone interview last Monday. Received e-mail from recruiter that I would hear from him that Tuesday or Wednesday. Have not heard from him yet. Assume no offer?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a phone interview last Monday. Received e-mail from recruiter that I would hear from him that Tuesday or Wednesday. Have not heard from him yet. Assume no offer?

Assume nothing. Just chill out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a phone interview last Monday. Received e-mail from recruiter that I would hear from him that Tuesday or Wednesday. Have not heard from him yet. Assume no offer?

Do firms always let you know when they are no-offering?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:

Do firms always let you know when they are no-offering?

Yep.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Had a callback today that I think went well; V100 firm in the area. Exhausting though - 7 interviews in the afternoon, after 3 hours of class in the morning.

I would just like someone to hire me. I'll probably take the first firm that says "yes" right now.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Kretzy wrote:Had a callback today that I think went well; V100 firm in the area. Exhausting though - 7 interviews in the afternoon, after 3 hours of class in the morning.

I would just like someone to hire me. I'll probably take the first firm that says "yes" right now.

Nice. Did they say when you will hear?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 pm

rad law wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Had a callback today that I think went well; V100 firm in the area. Exhausting though - 7 interviews in the afternoon, after 3 hours of class in the morning.

Friday, they said. I had a CB last week in a secondary market, and have another on Thursday in the PNW. 1L offers are like boyfriends, all I need is one.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 am

Kretzy wrote:
rad law wrote:

Friday, they said. I had a CB last week in a secondary market, and have another on Thursday in the PNW. 1L offers are like boyfriends, all I need is one.

So true dude, so true.

I had one CB over Xmas back home which I haven't haven't heard back from, but I'm unlikely to get. One more on Thurs with a lit boutique. Hoping I can go 50/50 haha

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 am

rad law wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
rad law wrote:

So true dude, so true.

I had one CB over Xmas back home which I haven't haven't heard back from, but I'm unlikely to get. One more on Thurs with a lit boutique. Hoping I can go 50/50 haha

Good luck, man. All 3 of mine have been/are with firms of 250-400 attorneys where the offices are taking 2-3 people tops. I'd like to feel confident, having gotten 3 V100 CBs, but those small class sizes are :shock:

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 am

I'm super excited for the 1L OCI crapshoot. Twenty one people all fighting for 1 spot.

edit: the best part is I have tons of interviews at hard to get things and zero word back from "safety" jobs. This is good mental training for OCI next year because, as the above poster said, I'll be ecstatic with one and really disappointed with zero.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 am

Probably a dumb question, but I should be expecting a phone call for a CB correct? Not an email, unless I'm dinged of course.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 am

beach_terror wrote:Probably a dumb question, but I should be expecting a phone call for a CB correct? Not an email, unless I'm dinged of course.

Most of my callbacks were offered via phone call. However, I did get one callback offer (from a resume collect) that came in the mail. I almost threw it away because letters are almost uniformly rejections. That same firm then made me an offer via letter (with an email copy that arrived first). So, the answer is, it's probably going to be a phone call, but keep your eyes on the spam folder and physical mailbox just in case.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 am

beach_terror wrote:Probably a dumb question, but I should be expecting a phone call for a CB correct? Not an email, unless I'm dinged of course.

I've gotten emails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Would it make any sense to do a judicial internship with a federal bankruptcy judge if my goal is to work in a firm during my 2nd summer and beyond (and not necessarily for anything having to do with bankruptcy)? Its odd I even got an interview offer seeing as my cover letter was all about my prospective interest in employment litigation. Or is this one of those situations where TCR is that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer as long as it is law related and gives you some talking points for OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

I have an interview with a state ACLU today. Can't overstate how much I want it, but, I think everyone who even applies is passionate about the organization, so I'm not sure how to set myself apart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Things seem to be moving quite a bit on the 1L SA front: Dinged at Cravath this week, but received an offer from a V20, and a callback invitation from small-ish firm. No news yet from two prior callbacks though. No matter what, I'm super thankful to have a summer opportunity secured ... it's rough out there for 1Ls!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm almost ready to close out my summer job search, finally. About top 20% (maybe top 15%) at a T25...have an upcoming interview with a District Court judge and if that doesn't work out I'll likely be taking a state trial court internship in one of the cities I'd like to practice in. It will be a relief to be able to fully concentrate on school for the next 10 weeks.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Networked my way into one of USAO or Fed PD, won't say which, and I won't say where due to anonymity. Still holding out for a paying jerb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Secured my summer internship working for a US District Court Judge. Hurray for Art. III Internship.
Got my preparation materials in the mail the other day.

Additionally, already contacted large firm and they have requested that I send my application in June to the contact directly to apply for a 2L summer. They praised me for my "ambition and drive" that was shown by contacting them regarding my 2L job during my Christmas break. They said those were qualities they love in candidates.
V25 Firm

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Secured my summer internship working for a US District Court Judge. Hurray for Art. III Internship.
Got my preparation materials in the mail the other day.

Additionally, already contacted large firm and they have requested that I send my application in June to the contact directly to apply for a 2L summer. They praised me for my "ambition and drive" that was shown by contacting them regarding my 2L job during my Christmas break. They said those were qualities they love in candidates.
V25 Firm

I want all this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm

How many 1l summer jobs pay? Just V100? Also, if goal out of school is big law, would a summer internship with legal counsel of US house of representatives be useful?

Return to “Legal Employment”