1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.


Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

This applies to 2L and 3L gigs during the school year as well.

So in other words, my information was exactly correct? There is no general rule against working during 1L.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Dman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.


Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

This applies to 2L and 3L gigs during the school year as well.

So in other words, my information was exactly correct? There is no general rule against working during 1L.


Just a general rule limiting the scope of work. I felt your statement was ambiguous, so I was clarifying for those who may not be aware of a cap.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.


Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

This applies to 2L and 3L gigs during the school year as well.

So in other words, my information was exactly correct? There is no general rule against working during 1L.


Just a general rule limiting the scope of work. I felt your statement was ambiguous, so I was clarifying for those who may not be aware of a cap.

Fair enough. You're right. I could should have been more specific.

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm

seriously???? wrote:so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?

Would probably help if you have weak ties to your desired market.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 am

So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 am

BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

.....no.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

Furious. They won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?


No.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 am

keg411 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?


No.

They'll be SUPER pissed. They'll shred his resume at OCI and light it on fire right in front of his eyes, then tell him to GTFO of the interview room.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 am

So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 am

So, an organization gave me an interview, which was possibly supposed to be tomorrow. They asked me which times I would be available, and it has been 6 days (4 business days) and I've yet to hear back. What can I even say in the e-mail that isn't "I haven't heard back from you."?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

I wrote this, but, it seems awkward:
I was just checking to see if it is still possible to hold the phone or skype interview tomorrow, between 12-1 or after 3:15? If there is another time that works better for you, please let me know..

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

Did they acknowledge receipt of your availability? If not, maybe you could send an e-mail to the effect of, "I want to confirm you received my e-mail on XX regarding my available times for an interview. I look forward to speaking with you. ?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 am

TTH wrote:Did they acknowledge receipt of your availability? If not, maybe you could send an e-mail to the effect of, "I want to confirm you received my e-mail on XX regarding my available times for an interview. I look forward to speaking with you. ?

That sounds much better. Thanks!

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

While I'm here, I might as well tell a fun story about what happened to me last week.

I logged in to Symplicity Friday morning to see if any bid results got posted, and it said I did not get any invites. I was bummed out, but it wasn't unexpected. There were only four employers coming and I'm only t25%. I logged in later that afternoon to check for any new job postings, and it loaded the OCI page first (last page I looked at on the site before closing the browser), and the invitation column was gone.

Went to ask Career Services about it, and it turns out it was a glitch and that bid results aren't in yet and won't be till Tuesday. She said she'd heard back from one of the employers and told me I got a pre-select.

Happy ending, but it was a helluva ride.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 am

nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?


For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

seriously???? wrote:so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?


from what I've gathered the general consensus seems to be no w/ some qualifications depending on where you want to work and what you want to do

-responsibilities and actual work done/stuff learned >> fancy title
-working in the region you want to end up working in is really good because you establish legit professional connections (not just BS networking w/ people who have no idea how competent you are)
- if you ultimately want PI/PS work, do it 1L because you probably won't get paid whatever you do anyway

Since I go to UC Hastings (and thus not a national/super regional T-10) I'm trying to squeeze myself into both the Nor Cal and So Cal markets. I figure I'll get a summer job in So Cal and have to create some ties there (already have family there too), and work in a clinic/externship in Nor Cal during my 2L year so that I can have better ties in the Bay Area. I'm going for Public Defense work, so I don't necessarily have to have all my ducks in a row by 2L Fall like those going for firm work through OCI.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 am

TTH wrote:While I'm here, I might as well tell a fun story about what happened to me last week.

I logged in to Symplicity Friday morning to see if any bid results got posted, and it said I did not get any invites. I was bummed out, but it wasn't unexpected. There were only four employers coming and I'm only t25%. I logged in later that afternoon to check for any new job postings, and it loaded the OCI page first (last page I looked at on the site before closing the browser), and the invitation column was gone.

Went to ask Career Services about it, and it turns out it was a glitch and that bid results aren't in yet and won't be till Tuesday. She said she'd heard back from one of the employers and told me I got a pre-select.

Happy ending, but it was a helluva ride.


It's amazing how incompetent these on campus interview programs can be (warning, the following story is long and not very interesting)

I applied to 14 places. I got 1 Pre-Select, and 1 Pending (aka waitlist). To get off the waitlist basically depends on the rest of your open schedule and the slots available for the employers. My Pre-Select employer didn't have enough money to make it from the East to SF, CA so they changed it to a phone interview. I mistakenly thought that the phone interview would clear up my schedule so that I could have a good shot at getting my Pending interview too... no such luck, they kept the interview block on my schedule until the deadline for assigning the open slots to the waitlists was over.

Showed up to campus 15 minutes before registration (8 AM) so that I could get in line to sign up for the remaining open slots. There were already 150 people ahead of me in line :evil: and I didn't even have time to fully dress myself while all these other people had obviously been awake since 4-5 AM and standing in line in front of a closed building for over an hour and a half. After this line there was an entirely separate line for signing up for open slots. After waiting in line for at least 2 hours I finally got a chance to sign up for one of the last open slots (and thankfully it was for a job I really wanted). I got scheduled in at 10:30 or so. Ten minutes before the interview they call me and tell me that it's been rescheduled for 3:20. At 3:20 my interviewer apparently never knew that I was rescheduled so he thought the 3:20 slot was still empty and thus he never showed up. I called him, and he showed up at 3:50, the next time slot. After figuring out the problem I went at 3:50 and everyone else (including person that had the 3:50 slot) got shifted down another 30 minutes too. The interview actually went ridiculously well (all things considered) and the guy wanted me to talk to him after all the interviews were over so that I could forward my materials to the person in charge of hiring. Course that meant I had to wait till everyone else that got shifted down, so around 6PM I finally finished talking to guy. All in all, I'm really happy how it turned out, but I could think of better ways to have spent my time than just waiting all day long.

An electronic registration system could have prevented all these headaches.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:48 am

Jesus, B, what a clusterfuck. If I wasn't going to be watching all this like a hawk before, I definitely am now. Hope it progresses well.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am

Still no CB, interview was Wednesday of last week.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 am

beach_terror wrote:Still no CB, interview was Wednesday of last week.


Not surprising. In all likelihood they are going to other schools and want to see who else they can snag before they CB.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

rad law wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?


For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.


Ok, so I'm assuming for CB, I need to be an expert of their website and interviewers?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
rad law wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?


For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.


Ok, so I'm assuming for CB, I need to be an expert of their website and interviewers?


Don't look aspie, but come prepared.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Anyway to remedy failing to mention that you are from a particular state and failing to write your home address, for a state government internship? I'm such an idiot.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.