1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.

Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

This applies to 2L and 3L gigs during the school year as well.

So in other words, my information was exactly correct? There is no general rule against working during 1L.

Dman

Postby Dman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.

Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

So in other words, my information was exactly correct? There is no general rule against working during 1L.

Just a general rule limiting the scope of work. I felt your statement was ambiguous, so I was clarifying for those who may not be aware of a cap.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Dman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Dman wrote:

Just a general rule limiting the scope of work. I felt your statement was ambiguous, so I was clarifying for those who may not be aware of a cap.

Fair enough. You're right. I could should have been more specific.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm

seriously???? wrote:so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?

Would probably help if you have weak ties to your desired market.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 am

So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 am

BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

.....no.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

BarbellDreams wrote:So to be clear, a firm isn't going to be pissed that I worked at a DAs office during 1L?

Furious. They won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

No.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 am

keg411 wrote:

No.

They'll be SUPER pissed. They'll shred his resume at OCI and light it on fire right in front of his eyes, then tell him to GTFO of the interview room.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 am

So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 am

So, an organization gave me an interview, which was possibly supposed to be tomorrow. They asked me which times I would be available, and it has been 6 days (4 business days) and I've yet to hear back. What can I even say in the e-mail that isn't "I haven't heard back from you."?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

I wrote this, but, it seems awkward:
I was just checking to see if it is still possible to hold the phone or skype interview tomorrow, between 12-1 or after 3:15? If there is another time that works better for you, please let me know..

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

Did they acknowledge receipt of your availability? If not, maybe you could send an e-mail to the effect of, "I want to confirm you received my e-mail on XX regarding my available times for an interview. I look forward to speaking with you. ?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 am

TTH wrote:Did they acknowledge receipt of your availability? If not, maybe you could send an e-mail to the effect of, "I want to confirm you received my e-mail on XX regarding my available times for an interview. I look forward to speaking with you. ?

That sounds much better. Thanks!

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

While I'm here, I might as well tell a fun story about what happened to me last week.

I logged in to Symplicity Friday morning to see if any bid results got posted, and it said I did not get any invites. I was bummed out, but it wasn't unexpected. There were only four employers coming and I'm only t25%. I logged in later that afternoon to check for any new job postings, and it loaded the OCI page first (last page I looked at on the site before closing the browser), and the invitation column was gone.

Went to ask Career Services about it, and it turns out it was a glitch and that bid results aren't in yet and won't be till Tuesday. She said she'd heard back from one of the employers and told me I got a pre-select.

Happy ending, but it was a helluva ride.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 am

nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?

For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

seriously???? wrote:so does it really matter what and where you get your 1L internship? If applying the next year as a 2L, will prospective employers care if you worked in that region before or just that you already have some law experience?

from what I've gathered the general consensus seems to be no w/ some qualifications depending on where you want to work and what you want to do

-responsibilities and actual work done/stuff learned >> fancy title
-working in the region you want to end up working in is really good because you establish legit professional connections (not just BS networking w/ people who have no idea how competent you are)
- if you ultimately want PI/PS work, do it 1L because you probably won't get paid whatever you do anyway

Since I go to UC Hastings (and thus not a national/super regional T-10) I'm trying to squeeze myself into both the Nor Cal and So Cal markets. I figure I'll get a summer job in So Cal and have to create some ties there (already have family there too), and work in a clinic/externship in Nor Cal during my 2L year so that I can have better ties in the Bay Area. I'm going for Public Defense work, so I don't necessarily have to have all my ducks in a row by 2L Fall like those going for firm work through OCI.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 am

TTH wrote:While I'm here, I might as well tell a fun story about what happened to me last week.

I logged in to Symplicity Friday morning to see if any bid results got posted, and it said I did not get any invites. I was bummed out, but it wasn't unexpected. There were only four employers coming and I'm only t25%. I logged in later that afternoon to check for any new job postings, and it loaded the OCI page first (last page I looked at on the site before closing the browser), and the invitation column was gone.

Went to ask Career Services about it, and it turns out it was a glitch and that bid results aren't in yet and won't be till Tuesday. She said she'd heard back from one of the employers and told me I got a pre-select.

Happy ending, but it was a helluva ride.

It's amazing how incompetent these on campus interview programs can be (warning, the following story is long and not very interesting)

I applied to 14 places. I got 1 Pre-Select, and 1 Pending (aka waitlist). To get off the waitlist basically depends on the rest of your open schedule and the slots available for the employers. My Pre-Select employer didn't have enough money to make it from the East to SF, CA so they changed it to a phone interview. I mistakenly thought that the phone interview would clear up my schedule so that I could have a good shot at getting my Pending interview too... no such luck, they kept the interview block on my schedule until the deadline for assigning the open slots to the waitlists was over.

Showed up to campus 15 minutes before registration (8 AM) so that I could get in line to sign up for the remaining open slots. There were already 150 people ahead of me in line :evil: and I didn't even have time to fully dress myself while all these other people had obviously been awake since 4-5 AM and standing in line in front of a closed building for over an hour and a half. After this line there was an entirely separate line for signing up for open slots. After waiting in line for at least 2 hours I finally got a chance to sign up for one of the last open slots (and thankfully it was for a job I really wanted). I got scheduled in at 10:30 or so. Ten minutes before the interview they call me and tell me that it's been rescheduled for 3:20. At 3:20 my interviewer apparently never knew that I was rescheduled so he thought the 3:20 slot was still empty and thus he never showed up. I called him, and he showed up at 3:50, the next time slot. After figuring out the problem I went at 3:50 and everyone else (including person that had the 3:50 slot) got shifted down another 30 minutes too. The interview actually went ridiculously well (all things considered) and the guy wanted me to talk to him after all the interviews were over so that I could forward my materials to the person in charge of hiring. Course that meant I had to wait till everyone else that got shifted down, so around 6PM I finally finished talking to guy. All in all, I'm really happy how it turned out, but I could think of better ways to have spent my time than just waiting all day long.

An electronic registration system could have prevented all these headaches.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:48 am

Jesus, B, what a clusterfuck. If I wasn't going to be watching all this like a hawk before, I definitely am now. Hope it progresses well.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am

Still no CB, interview was Wednesday of last week.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 am

beach_terror wrote:Still no CB, interview was Wednesday of last week.

Not surprising. In all likelihood they are going to other schools and want to see who else they can snag before they CB.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

rad law wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:So...how do you prepare for firm specific interviews? Any advice other than reading the hell out of their website and about the interviewers?

For screeners, know your resume inside and out. Make sure you mesh with the culture and vibe of the firm/interviewers.

Ok, so I'm assuming for CB, I need to be an expert of their website and interviewers?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
rad law wrote:

Ok, so I'm assuming for CB, I need to be an expert of their website and interviewers?

Don't look aspie, but come prepared.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Anyway to remedy failing to mention that you are from a particular state and failing to write your home address, for a state government internship? I'm such an idiot.

Return to “Legal Employment”