1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DoubleChecks

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:55 am

i had a (hopefully easily missed) grammatical error in a thank you email i wrote to the hiring partner after an interview...

...damn thank you emails arent even mandatory lol, totally just lowered my chances for no reason haha

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 am

rad law wrote:Got a hit off my 10 cover letters/resumes/writing sample to local biglaw/midlaw firms. It works people.

Congrats! I'm sending out my judicial internship apps out tomorrow and then doing the midlaw ones next week.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 am

I've applied to 24 biglaw/midlaw firms this week, including 5 in my parents' hometown. Went to a series of receptions that 3 of them were holding for interested 1Ls home for the holidays. I have HR experience so I figure employment law would be a good start for me, and at the last reception the employment law associate there was an alumni of my school and on the summer associate selection committee. We had a really good conversation...but I'm in limbo until I get my grades. And this firm also wants undergrad transcripts...and I'm a splitter. So I'm thinking I'll go down in flames anyway, but at least I made a decent first impression (I hope). I wonder if it's a good idea to delay sending my undergrad transcript until I get my law school grades (which I hope will soften the blow). It may take me a week or two to get a copy of my undergrad transcript anyway.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:46 am

Also, going to 1L firm receptions is an awesome way to get a feel for the character of the people you're going to be working with if you do end up getting the job. I got three distinctly different vibes from each firm I went to. The one where with the alumni from my school in my desired practice area also had the nicest vibe...everyone was very social and much more down to earth than the other firms. At one of the receptions, I was talking to some partners in my desired practice group that were pretty rude and obnoxious. If anyone has a chance to go to one of these, I highly recommended them.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Sent out my stuff on Dec 1. Got one interview that ended up in rejection.

So how do I go finding a non-firm job?

Are judges TCR? or working with a professor?

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Sent out my stuff on Dec 1. Got one interview that ended up in rejection.

how many firms did you apply too? I sent a lot out on the 21st of Dec and I have gotten 2 interviews. Many firms hold for your grades. You should update them when your grades come in.

Judges/PI/Professors now.... I guess?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Sent out my stuff on Dec 1. Got one interview that ended up in rejection.

Do you guys have 1L OCI? Not trolling. My school has it in the spring, but I've never heard of another school doing 1L OCI.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 pm

uvahooo wrote:

how many firms did you apply too? I sent a lot out on the 21st of Dec and I have gotten 2 interviews. Many firms hold for your grades. You should update them when your grades come in.

Judges/PI/Professors now.... I guess?

About 45? Only one has asked that I send grades.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Do you guys have 1L OCI? Not trolling. My school has it in the spring, but I've never heard of another school doing 1L OCI.

Yea but it's extremely weak and entirely PI centered.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Yea but it's extremely weak and entirely PI centered.

That sucks. I got my 1L SA through OCI.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:That sucks. I got my 1L SA through OCI.

Are 1L SA's more common in Texas.

At NU only 9% of people last year got one and damn near all were diversity.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

They're very uncommon, but I destroyed first semester courses.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

They're very uncommon, but I destroyed first semester grades.

They are slightly more common for people with a BSEE, but my grades were so poor a lot of firms didn't even want an interview after seem my UG transcript.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

They're very uncommon, but I destroyed first semester grades.

They are slightly more common for people with a BSEE, but my grades were so poor a lot of firms didn't even want an interview after seem my UG transcript.

Only one firm ever asked for my UG transcripts. I promptly withdrew my application.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:01 pm

JazzOne wrote:Only one firm ever asked for my UG transcripts. I promptly withdrew my application.

Did any firm wait several weeks to contact you? I'm assuming any firm that hasn't called in almost a month never will. Or will some just wait around closer to when grades come back.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Only one firm ever asked for my UG transcripts. I promptly withdrew my application.

Did any firm wait several weeks to contact you? I'm assuming any firm that hasn't called in almost a month never will. Or will some just wait around closer to when grades come back.

Actually, the firm that ended up hiring me last year waited forever. While I was waiting to hear from them, I received an invitation to join a very exclusive research board. I contacted the firm to update my resume, and they hired me a few days later.

This year, however, I was dinged at every firm that waited more than a few weeks. Well, actually, I did a resume drop with a firm, and they didn't get back to me for two months or so. They finally invited me to Dallas for an interview, and I ended up accepting a position with them.

Generally though, it's pretty bad news not to hear anything for a couple weeks, but who the hell knows what they're up to.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:03 pm

for most of your apps have your recruiters ever said: "I will be in touch soon?..." I got that for a few firms that I have sent apps too.

Not sure what that means? Any thoughts?

Oh... yea, I am sure UVA has 1L OGI... but I want to get everything out sooner...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:44 pm

uvahooo wrote:for most of your apps have your recruiters ever said: "I will be in touch soon?..." I got that for a few firms that I have sent apps too.

Not sure what that means? Any thoughts?

Oh... yea, I am sure UVA has 1L OGI... but I want to get everything out sooner...

They all say that. It's a big BS game. Just get it through your head now.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Should I spam firms in the general region my school is in? Or is it too late for that?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Should I spam firms in the general region my school is in? Or is it too late for that?

I sent out a few resumes after grades came in, and I received several biglaw interviews, but none of them led to an offer. Because my grades were not a problem, I always wondered if my late applications had something to do with my lack of success. But I submitted my resumes like in February or March. I really didn't know what I was doing regarding the job search. I'm lucky OCI panned out for me, but even then, I was working for a boutique firm, not a V100.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:31 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Should I spam firms in the general region my school is in? Or is it too late for that?

I sent out a few resumes after grades came in, and I received several biglaw interviews, but none of them led to an offer. Because my grades were not a problem, I always wondered if my late applications had something to do with my lack of success. But I submitted my resumes like in February or March. I really didn't know what I was doing regarding the job search. I'm lucky OCI panned out for me, but even then, I was working for a boutique firm, not a V100.

I might as well make a final effort tomorrow.

Does anyone know when applications to judges need to be done by?

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I have no clue and it's frustrating; they apparently don't want ANYTHING w/o grades - I actually received my resume/letter package back via snail mail from a judge with a yellow slip of paper stating "Please send only after you have a transcript, we will not review/hold your materials in the interim"

I have several (~8ish?) cover letters for judges, but anyone else feel that writing CLs for judges is far more arbitrary than for firms?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:57 pm

savagecheater wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I have no clue and it's frustrating; they apparently don't want ANYTHING w/o grades - I actually received my resume/letter package back via snail mail from a judge with a yellow slip of paper stating "Please send only after you have a transcript, we will not review/hold your materials in the interim"

I have several (~8ish?) cover letters for judges, but anyone else feel that writing CLs for judges is far more arbitrary than for firms?

I'll hold off on judges. See if I can score something paid, anything paid. Did the math and my savings + loans are going to be cutting it fucking slim by the time next Sept rolls around.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm

So I've applied to every firm in my markets...but there's easily 300+ judges out there in those same markets.

I can't find information on 50% that's at all meaningful...I'm seriously at a loss as to how I'm supposed to convey interest for someone I know nothing about.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:21 pm

savagecheater wrote:So I've applied to every firm in my markets...but there's easily 300+ judges out there in those same markets.

I can't find information on 50% that's at all meaningful...I'm seriously at a loss as to how I'm supposed to convey interest for someone I know nothing about.

Have you never hit on a woman before?

Return to “Legal Employment”