1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am

goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:
goosey wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a phone interview next week for an internship with a District Court judge (won't say which district, but not any of the major ones). His clerks are conducting it. What sort of questions should I expect?

"why a judge?"

got grilled on this one for 10 minutes, which felt like an eternity. ie. you can get that experience at a firm/da's office/ etc...why a judge? whats so special about a judge? what if you get an internship at the attorney generals office, why is that not better than a judge? etc etc etc.

/killself

that's such a lame move, imo. of course you can a lot of the same experience at different jobs - YOU ARE A FIRST YEAR STUDENT. no matter where you go, the type of stuff you are going to be handling will not be that different. even if your answer wasn't the greatest, it is just stupid to grill someone on it. yeah, the answer wasn't perfect, just note it and move on.

exactly.

I started off by saying that I really want to work on my legal research and writing skills and I cant think of a better place to do that during my first summer than in a judge's chambers. so then she's like "well what if you get an internship w the atty general?" and I said "thats not something I had thought about and I am really not interested in that at the moment, to be honest." and then shes like "ok..but why a judge? whats so special about a judge?!" and I was like "I think being in the company of a judge in and of itself would teach me a lot. They have been doing this their whole lives..I expect to pick up knowledge just from simple interaction day to day" and then shes like "what? partners at law firms dont have experience? are you saying you wouldnt learn from them?!" and I was like [by now feeling very awkward] "well yes thats true. everyone is very talented in their own profession, and they do have a lot fo experience as well. But I really think that for my first summer I want to be in an environment where I can focus on learning rather than have my focus divided because of the political pressures one may face at a firm." so then shes like "well..you cant escape political pressure anywhere"

I had no idea why she was being so hostile towards me. She said all of that with a very condescending and rude tone [I posted about it anonymously after the interview]..needless to say, I did not get the internship. But wow. I have NO idea wth that was about.

oh yeah and at one point she said to me "you know I started at a judge's chambers, and I had a very specific reason why I wanted to work for the judge and I just dont hear any of that from you" I was like :shock: for real lady? This was after I had told her about working on writing skills and wanting to. I wanted to be like "okay, so because my REASON doesnt match YOUR reason you are being a jerk to me now?" the lady was like...wow.

Dude, it was probably just a stress tech interview.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Seems like she wanted you to tell her why you wanted to work for HER, not for a judge in general.

Anyway, yesterday I applied for this firm in a field I'm not all that interested in, thinking they would just throw away my application. But a couple hours later I got an e-mail asking for an interview. I actually think this position may be paid, and quite honestly, for money, I'd be willing to work in a field that isn't necessarily my cup of tea. For all I know, I might actually really like it, but, I'm going to have to think of a reason before the interview. Main problem though: I think they may be looking for someone to start part time now, and I'm a 1L, and i'm pretty sure that the ABA won't let us work in our first year. The first sentence of my cover letter says i'm a first-year, so, I dunno.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Seems like she wanted you to tell her why you wanted to work for HER, not for a judge in general.

Anyway, yesterday I applied for this firm in a field I'm not all that interested in, thinking they would just throw away my application. But a couple hours later I got an e-mail asking for an interview. I actually think this position may be paid, and quite honestly, for money, I'd be willing to work in a field that isn't necessarily my cup of tea. For all I know, I might actually really like it, but, I'm going to have to think of a reason before the interview. Main problem though: I think they may be looking for someone to start part time now, and I'm a 1L, and i'm pretty sure that the ABA won't let us work in our first year. The first sentence of my cover letter says i'm a first-year, so, I dunno.

There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Seems like she wanted you to tell her why you wanted to work for HER, not for a judge in general.

There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.

Ohh, I thought there was. Either way, I'm not sure if I could handle 15 hours a week. On the one hand perhaps it will force me to be more efficient and not waste time on the internet, but it might also just be overwhelming. I think if I could do it, then take a month off for finals, maybe I could manage. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I don't know for sure if they'd want me to work, don't know for sure that it's paid, and in all likelihood they are interviewing everyone from my school who sent in an application, so I probably won't get it.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Applied to 80 Fed. Judges, first Interview offer extended today.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 pm

I called every judge in 2 districts. Of about 80, 8 are still accepting applications, so I'm going to mail them out on Monday. I'm hoping they don't all hire someone in the next week. Also, I'm shooting for one of those uber competitive districts, with basically nothing law school related to set me apart. Top 20% at a t2 in a different area. At least I tried, I guess. Of the 40 job applications I sent out, one of them is going to pan out for me.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Applied to a few State Attorney's offices in Florida and a few DA's offices in Georgia. One interview in Georgia in January, interviewed for one in Florida this week. I asked when I should expect to hear about whether I got the position or not, and my interviewer said "Well, your background check came back clear....I'll tell you now. You're accepted." Unexpected, but it takes a huge load off. :D

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Working for a firm far away from your home state/target market isn't a bad idea right? I have a family connection down in West Palm Beach, FL with a firm that has roughly 10 lawyers. Assuming I don't get my top choices here, it wouldn't hurt me to go down there would it? I'm figuring as long as I can answer why I went so far south in an interview, it won't matter much.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:Working for a firm far away from your home state/target market isn't a bad idea right? I have a family connection down in West Palm Beach, FL with a firm that has roughly 10 lawyers. Assuming I don't get my top choices here, it wouldn't hurt me to go down there would it? I'm figuring as long as I can answer why I went so far south in an interview, it won't matter much.

My grandma lives in Boca and would love to spend some time with me over the summer, so I threw in a few applications down there. A job is a job. The only downside I can see is wearing a suit in Florida in the summer. Phew.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:13 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Working for a firm far away from your home state/target market isn't a bad idea right? I have a family connection down in West Palm Beach, FL with a firm that has roughly 10 lawyers. Assuming I don't get my top choices here, it wouldn't hurt me to go down there would it? I'm figuring as long as I can answer why I went so far south in an interview, it won't matter much.

My grandma lives in Boca and would love to spend some time with me over the summer, so I threw in a few applications down there. A job is a job. The only downside I can see is wearing a suit in Florida in the summer. Phew.

Khakis and a shirt is hell down there. I know exactly what you mean.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 pm

rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

I spent one summer in DC. I would wear skirt and tank top every day (and possibly throw on a sweater when I got to the office), but, I still couldn't handle being outside. Made me wonder how you gents do pants, long sleeves, an additional layer, and a tie around your neck. I think I'd pass out or be sweating through my suit.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

I spent one summer in DC. I would wear skirt and tank top every day (and possibly throw on a sweater when I got to the office), but, I still couldn't handle being outside. Made me wonder how you gents do pants, long sleeves, an additional layer, and a tie around your neck. I think I'd pass out or be sweating through my suit.

A suit is like high heels for men. It's a way for us to look good even though we're out of shape.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:39 pm

JazzOne wrote:A suit is like high heels for men. It's a way for us to look good even though we're out of shape.

quite possibly the best analogy ever

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:A suit is like high heels for men. It's a way for us to look good even though we're out of shape.

That's true. Every time a guy comes into class wearing a suit I think "shit, they look really good." Despite the fact that I'd describe my type as a little more disheveled. There's something magical about a suit, that even the shortest, chubbiest dudes look considerably better.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:

That's true. Every time a guy comes into class wearing a suit I think "shit, they look really good." Despite the fact that I'd describe my type as a little more disheveled. There's something magical about a suit, that even the shortest, chubbiest dudes look considerably better.

I had a professor last semester who is 80 years old, hunched over, and could hardly walk, but as long as he was standing still in a suit, he looked like a million bucks.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 pm

And they're probably just as uncomfortable as heels. On the negative side, girls look horrible in suits. Probably why they have to give us slight affirmative action.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:And they're probably just as uncomfortable as heels. On the negative side, girls look horrible in suits. Probably why they have to give us slight affirmative action.

I especially hate women's suits that have pants with a super high waistline. Totally unflattering on the hips.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:And they're probably just as uncomfortable as heels. On the negative side, girls look horrible in suits. Probably why they have to give us slight affirmative action.

I especially hate women's suits that have pants with a super high waistline. Totally unflattering on the hips.

There are very few times where a girl will look better in dress pants than a pencil skirt. Pencil skirts are almost always extremely flattering. It's the jackets that make you look dowdy.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

There are very few times where a girl will look better in dress pants than a pencil skirt. Pencil skirts are almost always extremely flattering. It's the jackets that make you look dowdy.

Meh. The point is to look professional, not to get a date. I think if you wear a suit the right way (which most women don't) it can look really nice and flattering, if not "hot". And the jackets are fine if they actually fit. I do agree that skirt suits >>>>>>>>>>>>>> pants suits. Pants suits suck and should only be worn in the office in the winter.

However, I'll admit that I can dress way too down whenever there's a business casual requirement; especially in the summer. Sundresses and skirts FTW.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 pm

keg411 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Meh. The point is to look professional, not to get a date. I think if you wear a suit the right way (which most women don't) it can look really nice and flattering, if not "hot". And the jackets are fine if they actually fit. I do agree that skirt suits >>>>>>>>>>>>>> pants suits. Pants suits suck and should only be worn in the office in the winter.

However, I'll admit that I can dress way too down whenever there's a business casual requirement; especially in the summer. Sundresses and skirts FTW.

I'm prone to the sundress in the summer as well. I also rock flats a lot or the open toed shoe. Not to say the goal is to get a date, but, I think my stance is "who decided a suit is professional? How does dressing 'professionally' make me a better worker?" Quite honestly, I think the whole concept is outdated. I'll go with the system, because I have to, but, I don't think I'll ever agree with it.

As for jackets, I think it pretty much always hinges on boob size. The bigger they are, the less likely a jacket is going to fit well and look good, without extensive tailoring. Girls that look good in suits usually have bodies like boys.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:27 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As for jackets, I think it pretty much always hinges on boob size. The bigger they are, the less likely a jacket is going to fit well and look good, without extensive tailoring. Girls that look good in suits usually have bodies like boys.

That is true... but if you're somewhere in between you can mitigate it with camisoles, a bra that fits well and by finding button downs that good cut even if it means trying on tons of types (different brands are cut differently; for instance, I love Ann Taylor suits, but their button downs don't fit me right at all).

Personally, I like the business look; but I also think it's less about making one a good worker and more about projecting a good image to clients/other business people. I mean, if you just have to go into the office to type on a computer all day, then it's not necessary to wear a suit; but if you're going to be meeting people directly, how you look can make a very specific and very important impression.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:As for jackets, I think it pretty much always hinges on boob size. The bigger they are, the less likely a jacket is going to fit well and look good, without extensive tailoring. Girls that look good in suits usually have bodies like boys.

That is true... but if you're somewhere in between you can mitigate it with camisoles, a bra that fits well and by finding button downs that good cut even if it means trying on tons of types (different brands are cut differently; for instance, I love Ann Taylor suits, but their button downs don't fit me right at all).

Personally, I like the business look; but I also think it's less about making one a good worker and more about projecting a good image to clients/other business people. I mean, if you just have to go into the office to type on a computer all day, then it's not necessary to wear a suit; but if you're going to be meeting people directly, how you look can make a very specific and very important impression.

I think my point is more: who decided that suits make you look good to clients? Why can't you look good in a dress/nice jeans/ect/ect. It's more about not looking sloppy in my eyes.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

People in my section are snatching internships left and right while I have a grand total of 1 interview scheduled. I think its time to send out another batch to less sought after internships. My CSO said its really easy to grab a judicial internship with a state judge since there are so many of them around the city, maybe I should just mass mail 50 of them on Monday (Thats a lot of expensive resume/cover letter paper :)).

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Think I just hit a home run in my interview w/ a PD office, guy told me to call him back at the end of the day

think I got myself a job :mrgreen:

Dman

Postby Dman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:There is no general rule against working during 1L. Some law schools have local rules. For instance, my law school only permits 1Ls to work a certain number of hours per week.

Just to clarify this so bad information does not continue to spread. There is a limit set by the ABA on the hours a full time school can work. The rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

This applies to 2L and 3L gigs during the school year as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”