1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:unpaid usao or paid midsized (200+) summer associate? 1L T2 school.

USAO is awesome, but take the $$.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm

This is probably a rant/open letter, but it's employment related -

Some people take things too seriously. When I joke that you got a firm job because of your scholarship program don't get all pissy, its a joke. I mean, I'm an AA-male so what room do I have to talk? Jeez. Grow some balls and understand when people are joking.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Rant: Wish I had diversity. I know someone at my school with a way lower GPA getting interviews at midlaw and biglaw firms left and right. I have 0.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Rant: Wish I had diversity. I know someone at my school with a way lower GPA getting interviews at midlaw and biglaw firms left and right. I have 0.

beach_terror concurs. One of my friends has had 2 biglaw SA interviews and my GPA is better than his. Cool shit.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Rant: Wish I had diversity. I know someone at my school with a way lower GPA getting interviews at midlaw and biglaw firms left and right. I have 0.

+1. I'm all in favor of diversity programs and such, and I try to block it from my head... but I still wish I had something diverse about my background.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 pm

The diverse kids probably wish they weren't the only ones in the class. I'm one of two black males in my class of nearly 200, and I definitely get tired of being the "black male correspondent" on every issue.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:This is probably a rant/open letter, but it's employment related -

Some people take things too seriously. When I joke that you got a firm job because of your scholarship program don't get all pissy, its a joke. I mean, I'm an AA-male so what room do I have to talk? Jeez. Grow some balls and understand when people are joking.

soooomeone pissed off an annbrycer

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:The diverse kids probably wish they weren't the only ones in the class. I'm one of two black males in my class of nearly 200, and I definitely get tired of being the "black male correspondent" on every issue.

You only have two black males in your entire class?!?!? We have like 6-8 black males in my section alone.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:The diverse kids probably wish they weren't the only ones in the class. I'm one of two black males in my class of nearly 200, and I definitely get tired of being the "black male correspondent" on every issue.

You only have two black males in your entire class?!?!? We have like 6-8 black males in my section alone.

Only two...same number the school had in 1972 when the first African Americans graduated.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

mths wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:This is probably a rant/open letter, but it's employment related -

soooomeone pissed off an annbrycer

Yeah, and they're a sizable contingency . . . I gotta watch my back now, make sure I don't get jumped in the hallways.
:lol:

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm

In my class they put all 4 asians in the same section. I had a good laugh. I guess the AZNs cant survive on our own. :mrgreen:

How do URMs let firms know that they are URMs other than through applying to a diversity program? In their resume? cover letter? I can see listing something like Black Law Student Association in the resume, but is there another way to do it? Just curious.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 pm

moandersen wrote:

In my class they put all 4 asians in the same section. I had a good laugh. I guess the AZNs cant survive on our own. :mrgreen:

How do URMs let firms know that they are URMs other than through applying to a diversity program? In their resume? cover letter? I can see listing something like Black Law Student Association in the resume, but is there another way to do it? Just curious.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Ugh, never been more intimidated in an interview. I think I had decent answers for most questions, but I was noticeably nervous and not very articulate.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

traehekat wrote:Ugh, never been more intimidated in an interview. I think I had decent answers for most questions, but I was noticeably nervous and not very articulate.

Shake it off man. My interview today wasn't my most stellar performance, interviewers understand it's somewhat intimidating. Just approach it like a conversation about your compatibility with the interviewers, not a massive scrutinizing.

Also, if you feel yourself getting nervous, ask them a good question. It'll divert from you, give you time to relax some, and keep the interviewer engaged.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't mind the diversity thing too much... but maybe I would if I wasn't an idiot and decided not to apply to firms :(. Do women still count as "diversity"?

Also, AZN's count for firm diversity purposes, even though they don't count for law school admissions. I know a guy who has an interview for BigLaw through our diversity program, but I think he has really good grades also.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm

traehekat wrote:Ugh, never been more intimidated in an interview. I think I had decent answers for most questions, but I was noticeably nervous and not very articulate.

It's okay. Just don't think too much about it. The more you interview the more practice yet get, the better you'll be.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm

keg411 wrote:I don't mind the diversity thing too much... but maybe I would if I wasn't an idiot and decided not to apply to firms :(. Do women still count as "diversity"?

Also, AZN's count for firm diversity purposes, even though they don't count for law school admissions. I know a guy who has an interview for BigLaw through our diversity program, but I think he has really good grades also.

Women definitely count. If I were you, I'd make extra sure to sign up for the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, and to also ask your CSO about any others.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

keg411 wrote:I don't mind the diversity thing too much... but maybe I would if I wasn't an idiot and decided not to apply to firms :(. Do women still count as "diversity"?

Being Asian stinks, and I can say that b/c I am asian. We don't get URM boost yet we get counted in the school's minority percentage numbers that they get to show off as having diversity. I guess having a boost for firm work is kinda cool.. I also don't really see how we're overrepresented in law school. I know most of the Asians at WUSTL are actually the LLM students.

Anyway, not trying to be controversial here but thought I would add my 2 cents!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Women definitely count. If I were you, I'd make extra sure to sign up for the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, and to also ask your CSO about any others.

hahahaha

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:

Being Asian stinks, and I can say that b/c I am asian. We don't get URM boost yet we get counted in the school's minority percentage numbers that they get to show off as having diversity. I guess having a boost for firm work is kinda cool.. I also don't really see how we're overrepresented in law school. I know most of the Asians at WUSTL are actually the LLM students.

If I had to pick, I'd take the employment boost over the admissions boost any day.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Women definitely count. If I were you, I'd make extra sure to sign up for the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, and to also ask your CSO about any others.

hahahaha

Seriously. If you are an Asian, Latino, African American, Female, White guy with a funny last name, etc... I'd advise you to sign up for the SEMJF.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

If I had to pick, I'd take the employment boost over the admissions boost any day.

Hmm interesting.. if I could only have one and not the other.. which would I pick? Although, maybe if I had gotten the admission boost I wouldn't need the employment boost? You're probably right, even if say I had gotten into a better school, I may have been in the bottom half and then still need an employment boost.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

hahahaha

Seriously. If you are an Asian, Latino, African American, Female, White guy with a funny last name, etc... I'd advise you to sign up for the SEMJF.

What if your school is not listed as participating?

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:

hahaha, so true! :lol:

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

hahahaha

What if your school is not listed as participating?

Then talk to your CSO and get them to sign up for it. There was a job fair I wanted to go to last summer that my school wasn't signed up for. I called the job fair coordinator, asked for info, then put her in contact with my CSO. They were willing to pay the fee to participate in the fair if I could get other interested students involved. Ended up getting 6 other students to go. I don't know how they did, but I got 4 offers for 2L summer out of it. The only door that's closed is the one you don't try to open...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”