1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:WUSTL PARTYYYYYYYY

WOOOOO!

Also, sorry for being short with you in the stairwell today. I was in a rotten mood because of lololoci.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:WUSTL PARTYYYYYYYY

lolol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 am

I currently have 6 market paying or near-market paying SA interviews coming up over the next 2 weeks. 4 of those being all-day callbacks not screening interviews. I won't let out a sigh of relief until I have an offer in hand but man do I feel good right now.

Getting a 1L SA position at a prestigious market paying firm would be too good to be true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am

I don't know how you guys are managing this shit. WTF am I doing wrong?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 am

You guys shouldn't fret too much. Most people in most markets won't be getting a paid 1L SA. The important thing to do for everyone else out there is set yourself up for Fall OCI. Get some legal experience, make a list of the things you liked/didn't like, a list of the things you felt you did well/didn't do well, and a list of what your strong areas/areas that need improvement/career goals/ideal work environment are. Digest that stuff, work it into your story because that is going to be the ammo you take with you into OCI and other interviews.

Also, if you do have an interview coming up, and in the future when you start applying to other places/get interviews, seek out people who know the market, the firm, etc... You can often find a 2L or 3L that SA'd at a firm or in a market that you're looking at if you look hard enough. The advise they have to give can really be invaluable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to out myself but don't lose hope guys! I'm at WUSTL, top 20% and got a biglaw SA. No I'm not URM and I don't have any crazy family connections to the firm. I just applied, got a CB, and then an offer 3 days later. Maybe its the market though.. I have faith in our school, but I think getting a 1L job in and of itself is just difficult.

1L or 2L?

1L

Care to elaborate on how you made this happen? Significant work experience? Anything that led you to getting this job? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

I'm torn between wanting to help you out and not wanting to out myself so I'll say this: I believe there are a couple of factors that helped me out. 1. I had met the recruiter from the firm at a school event, if you can guess which one you might know what firm I'm talking about but ANYWAY, I digress. The recruiter may or may not have remembered me/liked me and suggested me for a CB. This may be a stretch since I don't know how much input the recruiter has in all of this. 2. The firm is in my hometown/home "city" and so I was easily able to demonstrate why I wanted to be there for the summer and for after graduation. 3. After receiving the offer I got comments on how much they liked my experience. Again this may be a stretch since they might just be acting nice. But in particular during my interview they seemed to like asking about my experience with a highly regarded local institution (not law related). 4. The firm emphasized how much they liked recruiting from WUSTL (again that may have just been niceties).

If you would like more, I can PM you. I would just first rather not out myself since I don't want to seem like the pretentious 1L with a job lined up already.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:07 am

That is really great man, congrats on the SA and good luck with it this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am

romothesavior wrote:That is really great man, congrats on the SA and good luck with it this summer.

Thanks!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 am

Aqualibrium wrote:You guys shouldn't fret too much. Most people in most markets won't be getting a paid 1L SA. The important thing to do for everyone else out there is set yourself up for Fall OCI. Get some legal experience, make a list of the things you liked/didn't like, a list of the things you felt you did well/didn't do well, and a list of what your strong areas/areas that need improvement/career goals/ideal work environment are. Digest that stuff, work it into your story because that is going to be the ammo you take with you into OCI and other interviews.

Also, if you do have an interview coming up, and in the future when you start applying to other places/get interviews, seek out people who know the market, the firm, etc... You can often find a 2L or 3L that SA'd at a firm or in a market that you're looking at if you look hard enough. The advise they have to give can really be invaluable.

+1

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 am

Also, I have to say its a relief that I don't suck at interviewing. Not that I thought I would, but it's a relief that I can put together coherent answers without freezing up or sounding like a moron.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am

I wish they'd go ahead and announce OCI invitations so I can move on. I don't expect anything, but I'd like to know for sure at least.

So much about law school is shitty, miserable waiting.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 am

TTH wrote:I wish they'd go ahead and announce OCI invitations so I can move on. I don't expect anything, but I'd like to know for sure at least.

Just like life, bro. Life is just one long exercise in waiting for death.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 am

rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:I wish they'd go ahead and announce OCI invitations so I can move on. I don't expect anything, but I'd like to know for sure at least.

Just like life, bro. Life is just one long exercise in waiting for death.

Troof.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am

Don't wanna out myself, so gonna post anon...but I got two major-market V50 1L SA offers this week. :shock: No special background, just good grades at a T14.

Both of these firms didn't hire 1L's last year but are hiring several this year. Looks like this "economy" thing might be on the up and up after all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Don't want to out myself either.

1L- Top 10% at GULC and got one prescreened LOL1LOCI interview at Bradley Arant DC. Only other bid was on Ropes & Gray DC- not selected.

Any info re: Bradley DC hiring? Are they actually taking 1Ls or is this just for show?

There are 9 interview slots in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't wanna out myself, so gonna post anon...but I got two major-market V50 1L SA offers this week. :shock: No special background, just good grades at a T14.

Both of these firms didn't hire 1L's last year but are hiring several this year. Looks like this "economy" thing might be on the up and up after all.

That's good to hear, hopefully it trickles into the secondary markets. It looks like STL is still in tatters.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Oh I can't wait to stop seeing 'ITE' on these forums.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't wanna out myself, so gonna post anon...but I got two major-market V50 1L SA offers this week. :shock: No special background, just good grades at a T14.

I just hope it means good things for this summer's OCI (especially for those of us who are "marginal"... and I count all T2'ers/potential T14 transfers as marginal no matter what grades). I'm already nervous and it's like 6 months away :lol:.

Also, I'm officially kicking myself for not even attempting to apply to firms.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently have 6 market paying or near-market paying SA interviews coming up over the next 2 weeks. 4 of those being all-day callbacks not screening interviews. I won't let out a sigh of relief until I have an offer in hand but man do I feel good right now.

Getting a 1L SA position at a prestigious market paying firm would be too good to be true.

School? GPA?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm

beach_terror wrote:400 new legal jobs this month: http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/e ... t-3-months

As the article notes, there was also a rise in legal jobs in October. Then Nov. and Dec. saw losses. I do think the major hemorrhaging has stopped, but I don't think there is going to be any real growth between now and the time we graduate. But then again, I am an eternal pessimist (I prefer "realist") so maybe I am being too down.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beach_terror wrote:400 new legal jobs this month: http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/e ... t-3-months

As the article notes, there was also a rise in legal jobs in October. Then Nov. and Dec. saw losses. I do think the major hemorrhaging has stopped, but I don't think there is going to be any real growth between now and the time we graduate. But then again, I am an eternal pessimist (I prefer "realist") so maybe I am being too down.

The only thing I'll say is that it's definitely better than losing 400.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:21 pm

so if an application deadline is say, for example, feb 21st, does that mean if I applied in early feb I should sit tight until after the deadline passes. do people get interviews before the deadline actually passes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:38 pm

unpaid usao or paid midsized (200+) summer associate? 1L T2 school.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:unpaid usao or paid midsized (200+) summer associate? 1L T2 school.

If you want biglaw as a career, I'd take the paid firm gig.

Return to “Legal Employment”