1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
rad law wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
rad law wrote:Had 5 OCI interviews Mon and Tues. Firms were all in an area to which I did not have ties, except for I had visited once for 2 days. Ran the gamut from just great where everything seemed to click, and just awful, where the dude plainly didn't give a shit (probably bc I was not from the area).

Already got a CB though, which is cool.

So when you get a job will you finally stop guilting me?

You got bigtex, no? I will always guilt you haha

Haha.

I'm calling it. You've got this job.

Thanks for the faith in me man. I hope so.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

OCI almost got an absolute flawless victory on me. Out of the 6 places I applied to, I was not selected for all but one (which is the one I ranked first), and even that interview is lottery. I was hoping for that or the two JAG positions I applied to, but the army sent our entire school an angry letter basically saying that "look, we have to fill 25 spots and have the entire nation of law students to go through." And lottery is a big bummer because I know I'm essentially screwed from the get go. I know being above median at T20 being URM isn't exactly stellar, but Jesus Christ. There were people with way superior grades that were getting rejected right and left.

So what I'm saying is... exactly where in the world do I start for job searching outside OCI?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Melkaba wrote:OCI almost got an absolute flawless victory on me. Out of the 6 places I applied to, I was not selected for all but one (which is the one I ranked first), and even that interview is lottery. I was hoping for that or the two JAG positions I applied to, but the army sent our entire school an angry letter basically saying that "look, we have to fill 25 spots and have the entire nation of law students to go through." And lottery is a big bummer because I know I'm essentially screwed from the get go. I know being above median at T20 being URM isn't exactly stellar, but Jesus Christ. There were people with way superior grades that were getting rejected right and left.

So what I'm saying is... exactly where in the world do I start for job searching outside OCI?

Use the internet to look up

biglaw/midlaw/small firms/bigfed/state gov/local gov/PD/DA/USAO/fed judges/state judges/state agencies

Then mail your stuff to them.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

After talking to some 2Ls at my school I relaxed a bit. Seems like everyone had SOME job even with terrible grades. Just make a list of places you really want (firm, fed judges), a list of places you kinda want (Da office, state judges), and a list of places you would take cause you're desperate (everything else) and go from there.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 pm

how do you write a cover letter for a position you're really not crazy about?

for example: da's office when you really do not want to do that after graduation

I just want to cast a wide net---but I have a really hard time bs-ing. I am super bad at it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm

goosey wrote:how do you write a cover letter for a position you're really not crazy about?

for example: da's office when you really do not want to do that after graduation

I just want to cast a wide net---but I have a really hard time bs-ing. I am super bad at it.

Find something you can tie a career in PI to. Find some "injustice" that occurred in your life, spin it to helping society, and submit.

I did this and I have DAs office interviews with little desire to actually do DA work longterm.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

goosey wrote:how do you write a cover letter for a position you're really not crazy about?

I'd learn how to BS real quick. The longer you hold out, the shittier your job search will be next year.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:You sure you don't have any resume issues or anything like that?

Almost positive I don't. I had it reviewed by our CSO dean, a prof who used to work at a firm, and a current attorney. They all made minor suggestions, but none pointed out any real issues.

Oh well. I'm kinda over it. Just sucks when people with worse grades are getting non-lottery interviews, and a guy who really wants STL can't even get one. I knew I wasn't gonna get a job, but I'd love some OCI interview practice for the fall. And I hope this isn't indicative of what I should expect for the fall.

In any case, I've got quite a few interviews on my own (AG's office, prosecutors offices) so I'm sure something will pan out soon. I can't wait for this process to be over.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

"I have a great deal of interest in working with the criminal justice system, and I believe an internship in the District Attorney's office would provide me valuable insight into the work of a prosecutor."

Something like that. Just one sentence is fine, maybe two. You have to understand that they aren't as concerned about keeping you around long term. They just want some free summer help and they are looking to give you some experience. You don't have to wow them like you do with a firm.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Fake it til you make it

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I'd learn how to BS real quick. The longer you hold out, the shittier your job search will be next year.

Beat me to it; this.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Melkaba wrote:OCI almost got an absolute flawless victory on me. Out of the 6 places I applied to, I was not selected for all but one (which is the one I ranked first), and even that interview is lottery. I was hoping for that or the two JAG positions I applied to, but the army sent our entire school an angry letter basically saying that "look, we have to fill 25 spots and have the entire nation of law students to go through." And lottery is a big bummer because I know I'm essentially screwed from the get go. I know being above median at T20 being URM isn't exactly stellar, but Jesus Christ. There were people with way superior grades that were getting rejected right and left.

Your school should (hopefully) be subscribed to this: http://www.law.arizona.edu/career/honorshandbook.cfm

Compilation of state/national government positions. See if you can get the login info for that from your CSO.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:So when you get a job will you finally stop guilting me?

I won't stop guilting you until you stop not-so-subtly talking about it in every other post. You're like the vanwinkle of 1L job searches. :lol:

(And I'm only teasing... I love both you and VW)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 pm

PM'd

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 pm

I feel ya. Got 1 lottery interview. Not awesome grades, but above median, and not URM, but a minority in STL. I'm also doing IP, and have 2 years of what I thought was pretty good professional experience. At first I thought I might have resume/cover letter issues, but I guess it really is that bad.

Talk about demoralizing... killed my will for the day.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:1LOLOLOLOCI pwnd. Good grades at a T20 and not a single interview.

FML

I just need to somehow get this RA position and call it a wrap. So don't want to work for a judge, let alone a judge in some random part of the country.

Quad, pretty sure I go to your school, good grades, not a single interview. I'm beginning to realize that everything that autoadmit says about wustl is unfortunately true. I'm just hoping this lolci session is nothing like the fall's, but reality is telling me otherwise.
Last edited by deebs on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm

I find the 1L OCI thing weird. We don't really have that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 pm

kalvano wrote:I find the 1L OCI thing weird. We don't really have that.

Apparently neither do we. :lol:

deebs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:1LOLOLOLOCI pwnd. Good grades at a T20 and not a single interview.

FML

I just need to somehow get this RA position and call it a wrap. So don't want to work for a judge, let alone a judge in some random part of the country.

I didn't even know you were going for an RA position. And holy shit, deebs sighting on TLS... stop the presses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am

deebs wrote:

FML

Quad, pretty sure I go to your school, good grades, not a single interview. I'm beginning to realize that everything that autoadmit says about wustl is unfortunately true. I'm just hoping this lolci session is nothing like the fall's, but reality is telling me otherwise.

I don't want to out myself but don't lose hope guys! I'm at WUSTL, top 20% and got a biglaw SA. No I'm not URM and I don't have any crazy family connections to the firm. I just applied, got a CB, and then an offer 3 days later. Maybe its the market though.. I have faith in our school, but I think getting a 1L job in and of itself is just difficult.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to out myself but don't lose hope guys! I'm at WUSTL, top 20% and got a biglaw SA. No I'm not URM and I don't have any crazy family connections to the firm. I just applied, got a CB, and then an offer 3 days later. Maybe its the market though.. I have faith in our school, but I think getting a 1L job in and of itself is just difficult.

1L or 2L?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

kalvano wrote:I find the 1L OCI thing weird. We don't really have that.

+1. Our 1L OCI is prettty much local PI and diversity stuff. But seriously, I do think everyone gets something.

(Made a typo, but decided the ttt was appropriate)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

1L SA > RA with civ pro prof > DA offices for me right now. I actually heard through the grapevine the Philly DAs office is only a part-time gig... splitting that with an RA gig with Innocence Project PA may actually give me a somewhat adequate legal resume.

Still, 1L SA or die. At the end of my interview, I wanted to say I'd sign my soul away for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to out myself but don't lose hope guys! I'm at WUSTL, top 20% and got a biglaw SA. No I'm not URM and I don't have any crazy family connections to the firm. I just applied, got a CB, and then an offer 3 days later. Maybe its the market though.. I have faith in our school, but I think getting a 1L job in and of itself is just difficult.

1L or 2L?

1L

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

1L or 2L?

1L

Care to elaborate on how you made this happen? Significant work experience? Anything that led you to getting this job? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 am

WUSTL PARTYYYYYYYY

Return to “Legal Employment”