1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Borhas wrote:so is it about time to start follow up calls?

yes/no?

I'd follow up via email or letter.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:41 pm

rad law wrote:

yes/no?

If you're able to be non-awkward on the phone, I would call and just talk to the secretary.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 pm

dakatz wrote:So out of the 145 judges I applied to, I have still yet to hear a word from 123 of them. The 22 I have heard from are typically something along the lines of "I'm not taking on interns" or "I've already hired someone", which I can deal with. But I'm not sure what to make of the 123 that haven't responded. You would figure they could at least send out a quick confirmation. For SDNY, they have a standardized card that confirms receipt of applications. I got the same one from about 6 or 7 different judges. So what about the other 30 people in the exact same building? Not sure why its been quite so silent.

I'm having very similar luck. According to my judge application spreadsheet, I've heard back from 22/61 judges I applied to (I guess that's not similar luck at all, still not good though). Two district court judges said they would be doing interviews in late Feb/March, one Circuit judge asked for my grades and then never contacted me again after seeing them, and I have one interview lined up for a part time internship with a state appeals judge (I'm pretty psyched about it, just wish it was full time). The other 18 have all said they don't hire interns.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
rad law wrote:

yes/no?

If you're able to be non-awkward on the phone, I would call and just talk to the secretary.

+1, especially if you sent a letter or email to apply. No point in sending another email or letter when the first was met with silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I've heard that 1L SA positions are heavily grade-based. Would a 3.8 at CLS be enough for a good shot of getting interviews/offers?

I've only applied to PI jobs so far and have a few offers, and I kinda just want to focus on second semester classes at this point. If there isn't a good chance of getting a SA position, I'll just forget it and move on.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that 1L SA positions are heavily grade-based. Would a 3.8 at CLS be enough for a good shot of getting interviews/offers?

I've only applied to PI jobs so far and have a few offers, and I kinda just want to focus on second semester classes at this point. If there isn't a good chance of getting a SA position, I'll just forget it and move on.

I don't know anything about the CLS curve, but I imagine you have a fighting chance. Might be a little in the game though? If you're interested I'd say get on it asap!

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:37 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
rad law wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:If the job posting doesn't ask for transcripts, should I still put my first semester grades in the resume?

You should probably already have them in your resume.

Thanks.

In what form should the grades appear? I was thinking something like

X Law School, Class of 2013, GPA: 3.XX (Top 1/3)

or is it kinda tasteless to put the class rank in there? it is only one semester of grades after all, it feels kind of empty to call myself top 1/3

edit: actually im being dumb, right? the gpa is meaningless without the class rank.

just make sure your school allows you to put rank in your resume

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:49 pm

I have 2 offers, 3 pending, and 3 interviews scheduled. I'm already having a really hard time deciding which to take, but my dream job is like the last interview. IDK what I'm gonna do!

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 pm

ok i have a firm interview and i just looked up the 4 attorneys im interviewing with and they are all in the tax department!? i have a ton of corporate securities experience as a paralegal and was assuming thats why i got the interview (firm has a big corporate securities department and i got to a T2, so it had to be experience lol). why would i be interviewing with all tax attorneys? i know nothing about tax. am i supposed to speak intelligently about this subject?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 am

So I just got an email from one of the clerks of a District Court judge I applied to asking me to explain my ties to the area and my plans to get summer housing. I sent an email back detailing my reasons for being interested in the location (further than I had in cover letter). Do you think that original email means that I may get an offer or at least an interview in the near future?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 am

phonepro wrote:ok i have a firm interview and i just looked up the 4 attorneys im interviewing with and they are all in the tax department!? i have a ton of corporate securities experience as a paralegal and was assuming thats why i got the interview (firm has a big corporate securities department and i got to a T2, so it had to be experience lol). why would i be interviewing with all tax attorneys? i know nothing about tax. am i supposed to speak intelligently about this subject?!

No.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I just got an email from one of the clerks of a District Court judge I applied to asking me to explain my ties to the area and my plans to get summer housing. I sent an email back detailing my reasons for being interested in the location (further than I had in cover letter). Do you think that original email means that I may get an offer or at least an interview in the near future?

They at least don't think your app is worthless. Other than that, who knows.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 am

rad law wrote:
phonepro wrote:ok i have a firm interview and i just looked up the 4 attorneys im interviewing with and they are all in the tax department!? i have a ton of corporate securities experience as a paralegal and was assuming thats why i got the interview (firm has a big corporate securities department and i got to a T2, so it had to be experience lol). why would i be interviewing with all tax attorneys? i know nothing about tax. am i supposed to speak intelligently about this subject?!

No.

LOL, i sure hope not. I'm so nervous. I want this so bad, and don't really know what to do to prepare or how to land it! -___-.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:44 am

phonepro wrote:
rad law wrote:

No.

LOL, i sure hope not. I'm so nervous. I want this so bad, and don't really know what to do to prepare or how to land it! -___-.

Educate yourself on the firm and be prepared to ask good questions about the attys. and firm. Know some stuff about the firm so you can explain how it would be a good fit for you. Know every item on your resume cold. G'luck bro.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:59 am

Is it wrong that I feel so good right now?

I've got call back interviews with 4 v100 firms lined up over the next couple of weeks for 1L SA positions.

While the rest of my classmates are struggling over getting unpaid internships. I know it isn't nice but I feel extra cocky around school now.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it wrong that I feel so good right now?

I've got call back interviews with 4 v100 firms lined up over the next couple of weeks for 1L SA positions.

While the rest of my classmates are struggling over getting unpaid internships. I know it isn't nice but I feel extra cocky around school now.

As someone who has a 1L SA gig lined up already, don't be a douche. No one likes douches.

Now I'm going to rain on your parade. Callbacks =/= offers.

Is it wrong for you to feel good? No. Should you think you're better than your classmates because they're looking for jobs and you have interviews (emphasis on interviews)? Hell no.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 am

Something tells me you are the same douche who made an entire thread about how you feel good since you beat your classmates?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 am

Something tells me you won't get an offer.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 am

rad law wrote:

Something tells me you won't get an offer.

lol the irony would be pretty funny if this tool ended up with all the other "unworthy" ones who are searching for unpaid internships. Oh the horror.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:35 am

Well, at least you have enough foresight to post anonymously...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:48 am

While I don't share this person's degree of jerkishness and I would never look down on my classmates (I mean, how could I? I'm just an above-average student with no job), I do at least see where he is coming from. Law school almost forces you into the haves and have-nots, and it does so using quite arbitrary benchmarks (mostly grades).

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:

While I don't share this person's degree of jerkishness and I would never look down on my classmates (I mean, how could I? I'm just an above-average student with no job), I do at least see where he is coming from. Law school almost forces you into the haves and have-nots, and it does so using quite arbitrary benchmarks (mostly grades).

that's why its best to not know your classmate's grades, once you do you subliminally impose hierarchies on others

of course being happy for your own accomplishments is perfectly fine

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 pm

traehekat wrote:

Well, at least you have enough foresight to post anonymously...

Clear abuse of the anon, and he was outed. Sucker.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:Is it wrong that I feel so good right now?

While the rest of my classmates are struggling over getting unpaid internships. I know it isn't nice but I feel extra cock around school now.

FYP

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Last edited by dakatz on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”