1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 am

erico wrote:Not tasteless. In fact, I would highlight your rank. Put it in a separate bullet from your gpa to do so.

+1. The rank is probably even MORE important to have than the GPA, since schools have different curves.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 am

traehekat wrote:
erico wrote:Not tasteless. In fact, I would highlight your rank. Put it in a separate bullet from your gpa to do so.

+1. The rank is probably even MORE important to have than the GPA, since schools have different curves.

The only caveat is if your school tells you that you can't put rank on your resume or hasn't released the cut-offs for last semester yet.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 am

rad law wrote:
phonepro wrote:Does anyone think big firms or even mid-size firms take into account prior experience before law school? I go to a T2 and have good grades, but I'm still guessing i'm out for any decently sized firm as a 1L. However, I'm holding on to the slight hope that my past experience (paralegal at two of the biggest and most prestigious firms in NYC), might convince some mid size firms to give me an interview :).

They will.

you were right<3 !

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:37 am

This is how my school tells us to do rank/GPA:

GPA: 91.54 (Top 15%= 91.67%)

Basically, they tell us to put the next highest cutoff. I actually included the cutoff below and the cutoff above my GPA, just so as to be more precise and avoid confusion.

(And just to note, this is not my actual GPA or cutoff... I just made that up.)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:29 am

I think the most annoying thing about this process is the dark void that I seem to be sending my resumes out into. I just don't hear a peep from most places, and I imagine I never will.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:45 am

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

The only caveat is if your school tells you that you can't put rank on your resume or hasn't released the cut-offs for last semester yet.

Yeah, NYU told us not to put any of that information on our resume. Something about "you're smart enough to get into NYU, no need to put your GPA on your resume"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Yeah, NYU told us not to put any of that information on our resume. Something about "you're smart enough to get into NYU, no need to put your GPA on your resume"

You already have a paid 1L big firm gig, no need to come into the 1L job freakout thread and kick us in the gut by telling us how nice things are at NYU. :(

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Yeah, NYU told us not to put any of that information on our resume. Something about "you're smart enough to get into NYU, no need to put your GPA on your resume"

You already have a paid 1L big firm gig, no need to come into the 1L job freakout thread and kick us in the gut by telling us how nice things are at NYU. :(

Stop pissing on us lowly VanderbilTTT and WoosTTTle people from your Ivory Tower

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 am

dinged by the SF DA office

damnit

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:29 am

romothesavior wrote:

One Word: Dallas.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Stop pissing on us lowly VanderbilTTT and WoosTTTle people from your Ivory Tower

+1. I am already teetering on the brink of a job-induced mental breakdown as it is.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Had first OCI interview today. Thought it went well, but didn't get to talk about a few of the things I would have liked to. Nice to just have the first one done and get the weight lifted off your shoulders.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:51 pm

traehekat wrote:Had first OCI interview today. Thought it went well, but didn't get to talk about a few of the things I would have liked to. Nice to just have the first one done and get the weight lifted off your shoulders.

First of how many?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:Stop pissing on us lowly VanderbilTTT and WoosTTTle people from your Ivory Tower

+1. I am already teetering on the brink of a job-induced mental breakdown as it is.

You know I've got y'alls back. Does WUSTL do a Spring OCI for 1Ls, or is your job search all on your own effort?

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think the most annoying thing about this process is the dark void that I seem to be sending my resumes out into. I just don't hear a peep from most places, and I imagine I never will.

This. And I dread checking my mail every day, because rejections seem only to come in hard copy. It is almost as though they want me to start a wall of shame with all of the rejection letters.

I'm unbelievably frustrated with the job situation.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:Stop pissing on us lowly VanderbilTTT and WoosTTTle people from your Ivory Tower

You know I've got y'alls back. Does WUSTL do a Spring OCI for 1Ls, or is your job search all on your own effort?
Yep, w/ about 18 employers. Given the fact that we're only competing with about 300 SLU students, and also that there are probably only 100 WUSTLers who want to stay in St. Louis, at least 6 of us should wind up getting a non-PD position out of it!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:Had first OCI interview today. Thought it went well, but didn't get to talk about a few of the things I would have liked to. Nice to just have the first one done and get the weight lifted off your shoulders.

First of how many?

Two.

Question for you all - is it appropriate to broach the topic of splitting a summer with a state AGO? I don't have information on exactly how long the internship spans, or what their expectations are in that regard, but I'd love the opportunity to intern at an AGO for half a summer and a firm for the other half.

This seems kind of like a stupid question, maybe, but I feel there are all these "hidden" rules out there that I may not know about. Or I'm just an idiot.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:

First of how many?

Two.

Question for you all - is it appropriate to broach the topic of splitting a summer with a state AGO? I don't have information on exactly how long the internship spans, or what their expectations are in that regard, but I'd love the opportunity to intern at an AGO for half a summer and a firm for the other half.

This seems kind of like a stupid question, maybe, but I feel there are all these "hidden" rules out there that I may not know about. Or I'm just an idiot.

I'm pretty sure the rule on splitting is "don't ask until you have the offer". The second thing is, make sure the state allows you to split. Found out that mine doesn't (not that I was planning on it).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:50 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:

First of how many?

Two.

I'm pretty sure the rule on splitting is "don't ask until you have the offer". The second thing is, make sure the state allows you to split. Found out that mine doesn't (not that I was planning on it).

This.

Postby 174 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think the most annoying thing about this process is the dark void that I seem to be sending my resumes out into. I just don't hear a peep from most places, and I imagine I never will.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

so is it about time to start follow up calls?

yes/no?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Borhas wrote:so is it about time to start follow up calls?

yes/no?

Depends on how long it has been since you applied. I'm thinking I might do some next Friday.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm

all my apps sent out around Jan 10... I think I'll wait another week or so

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:11 pm

So out of the 145 judges I applied to, I have still yet to hear a word from 123 of them. The 22 I have heard from are typically something along the lines of "I'm not taking on interns" or "I've already hired someone", which I can deal with. But I'm not sure what to make of the 123 that haven't responded. You would figure they could at least send out a quick confirmation. For SDNY, they have a standardized card that confirms receipt of applications. I got the same one from about 6 or 7 different judges. So what about the other 30 people in the exact same building? Not sure why its been quite so silent.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:

First of how many?

Two.

Happy to say I do have an offer, so good to go there. Where would I find out if the state allows it? I know firms that are IN the state allow it, based on responses on NALP forms. Do you mean state government? I couldn't find any information on it, so I basically would just be asking.

Return to “Legal Employment”