1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:37 am

snowpeach06 wrote:So if I'm applying for a summer internship in a city that I really love - but is absent on my resume, how do I convince them to believe me? I've visited like 4 times, and two of my best friends live there. But that's about it.

Ummm cover letter yo

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 am

Quick question from a 0L (if that's okay in this thread) - are you all applying to just judicial, firm, and PI stuff for this summer, or are any of you applying for in-house summer positions? I see so many of these available and they look like a great option for 1L summer (if they take 1Ls and you can get one), but I never see anyone talking about them here.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:46 am

dakatz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:More than 20 apps in. Only 1 interview, for a part-time gig at a small firm in a small city. Only one "We've received your app and may consider it," e-mail. Literally nothing from everywhere else. This is horrid. I have a memo due, and am still spending all of my homework time, all of my in class time and a good portion of my sleeping time trying to find a unpaid job.

I sent out over 70 apps to firms of all sizes all over my home state and the surrounding areas and I haven't had any better luck than you.

About 50 apps sent, a couple of "We received your email", a couple of firms saying they are full and a couple who say they don't take 1L's. Thats about it. Plan on sending out another batch of hopefully at least 20 this weekend.

The kicker is a lot of people with significantly lower grades than I have are getting interviews and applied at the same time as me.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So if I'm applying for a summer internship in a city that I really love - but is absent on my resume, how do I convince them to believe me? I've visited like 4 times, and two of my best friends live there. But that's about it.

Ummm cover letter yo

I mean in my cover letter. I just said "I've visited the city frequently and have a number of close friends who live there. Accordingly I'd like to be here, blah blah blah. "
BarbellDreams wrote:
dakatz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:More than 20 apps in. Only 1 interview, for a part-time gig at a small firm in a small city. Only one "We've received your app and may consider it," e-mail. Literally nothing from everywhere else. This is horrid. I have a memo due, and am still spending all of my homework time, all of my in class time and a good portion of my sleeping time trying to find a unpaid job.

I sent out over 70 apps to firms of all sizes all over my home state and the surrounding areas and I haven't had any better luck than you.

About 50 apps sent, a couple of "We received your email", a couple of firms saying they are full and a couple who say they don't take 1L's. Thats about it. Plan on sending out another batch of hopefully at least 20 this weekend.

The kicker is a lot of people with significantly lower grades than I have are getting interviews and applied at the same time as me.

I wish that was the case. It's not. I think I'm top 20-25%, which isn't quite good enough for any large firm. The one kid who is somewhere in the top 2 or 3% is getting stuff, and all the minorities have like 20 interviews for paying gigs.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Pretty depressing.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm

still haven't applied for any jobs, still haven't gotten all my grades. how fucked am i? i was thinking i could still realistically find a judge or some unpaid PI. i thought it'd be really cool to work for the DA in my hometown, but there are tons of tier 1 or higher schools within about 60 miles of it, so that's probably out.

i figure the school will help me get a RA position if it really comes down to it, but i was really hoping to return home over summer. guess beggars/slackers can't be choosers though.

t10, will likely be either slightly above median or slightly above top 1/3.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:50 pm

TigerBeer wrote:still haven't applied for any jobs, still haven't gotten all my grades. how fucked am i? i was thinking i could still realistically find a judge or some unpaid PI. i thought it'd be really cool to work for the DA in my hometown, but there are tons of tier 1 or higher schools within about 60 miles of it, so that's probably out.

i figure the school will help me get a RA position if it really comes down to it, but i was really hoping to return home over summer. guess beggars/slackers can't be choosers though.

Well, hurry up and apply, you miserable sack of crap.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

rad law wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:still haven't applied for any jobs, still haven't gotten all my grades. how fucked am i? i was thinking i could still realistically find a judge or some unpaid PI. i thought it'd be really cool to work for the DA in my hometown, but there are tons of tier 1 or higher schools within about 60 miles of it, so that's probably out.

Well, hurry up and apply, you miserable sack of crap.

LMAO.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Does anyone think big firms or even mid-size firms take into account prior experience before law school? I go to a T2 and have good grades, but I'm still guessing i'm out for any decently sized firm as a 1L. However, I'm holding on to the slight hope that my past experience (paralegal at two of the biggest and most prestigious firms in NYC), might convince some mid size firms to give me an interview :).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

phonepro wrote:Does anyone think big firms or even mid-size firms take into account prior experience before law school? I go to a T2 and have good grades, but I'm still guessing i'm out for any decently sized firm as a 1L. However, I'm holding on to the slight hope that my past experience (paralegal at two of the biggest and most prestigious firms in NYC), might convince some mid size firms to give me an interview :).

They will.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Another question: When you apply to jobs via symplicity, where do the documents go? I hate applying to jobs through them b/c I feel like they just get lost in space (lol). I prefer physically mailing out apps or at least e-mailing the company. Do the documents go to the career center and then they send them to employers, or directly to the employers?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm

phonepro wrote:Another question: When you apply to jobs via symplicity, where do the documents go? I hate applying to jobs through them b/c I feel like they just get lost in space (lol). I prefer physically mailing out apps or at least e-mailing the company. Do the documents go to the career center and then they send them to employers, or directly to the employers?

I think you're right. After I applied to two firms via Symplicity, they both emailed me later and asked if I could email the documents to them. I don't know if they got them and lost them or if they never got them and it just told them that I had applied, but it was crazy either way.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 pm

phonepro wrote:Another question: When you apply to jobs via symplicity, where do the documents go? I hate applying to jobs through them b/c I feel like they just get lost in space (lol). I prefer physically mailing out apps or at least e-mailing the company. Do the documents go to the career center and then they send them to employers, or directly to the employers?

Does your Simplicity have the information for the job? Maybe you could just use the address and snail mail it.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

why is this thread in transfers O_o

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm

phonepro wrote:why is this thread in transfers O_o

it decided to transfer after all it's success.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

phonepro wrote:why is this thread in transfers O_o

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:43 pm

i am applying for the IRS summer externship program thingie... IRS is my dream out of school

anyone else doing/done this?

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm

piccolittle wrote:Quick question from a 0L (if that's okay in this thread) - are you all applying to just judicial, firm, and PI stuff for this summer, or are any of you applying for in-house summer positions? I see so many of these available and they look like a great option for 1L summer (if they take 1Ls and you can get one), but I never see anyone talking about them here.

applied to 3 in-house positions---heard they dont do their hiring till march

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

For those of you trying to get judicial internships, what do you think about part time internships? judge said he's just looking for someone for a couple days a week.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Geist13 wrote:For those of you trying to get judicial internships, what do you think about part time internships? judge said he's just looking for someone for a couple days a week.

I think that is common. I don't think it's the norm, but it's not unusual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:46 pm

3.9 at MVP. I didn't apply anywhere until I got grades, and now I feel like I've missed the boat. Where should I be looking now?

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 am

If the job posting doesn't ask for transcripts, should I still put my first semester grades in the resume?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 am

TigerBeer wrote:If the job posting doesn't ask for transcripts, should I still put my first semester grades in the resume?

You should probably already have them in your resume.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 am

rad law wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:If the job posting doesn't ask for transcripts, should I still put my first semester grades in the resume?

You should probably already have them in your resume.

Thanks.

In what form should the grades appear? I was thinking something like

X Law School, Class of 2013, GPA: 3.XX (Top 1/3)

or is it kinda tasteless to put the class rank in there? it is only one semester of grades after all, it feels kind of empty to call myself top 1/3

edit: actually im being dumb, right? the gpa is meaningless without the class rank.

erico

Postby erico » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 am

Not tasteless. In fact, I would highlight your rank. Put it in a separate bullet from your gpa to do so.

Return to “Legal Employment”