1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
traehekat wrote:Got mock interview pwn'd today.

What happened?

Thankfully it was just with the career advisors at our CSO and not an actual employer, but I just had long-winded, weak answers basically. I knew what I wanted to say, it just took me forever to say it and by the time I got it out I had already rambled off a bunch of nonsense. I also didn't prepare for it as much as I would have liked since it has been a busy week. Very glad I did it, though. Our CSO is really helpful, and honestly I think anyone at any school should go in and do some mock interviews, unless you are used to interviewing regularly or know for sure you are great at them.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Was supposed to have my mock interview tonight, but it got cancelled because of the weather. My 1L SA interview is next week.... woulda been nice to have some advice/confidence going in. Oh well, this job is going to a Penn kid anyway so what do I care.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

What happened?

Thankfully it was just with the career advisors at our CSO and not an actual employer, but I just had long-winded, weak answers basically. I knew what I wanted to say, it just took me forever to say it and by the time I got it out I had already rambled off a bunch of nonsense. I also didn't prepare for it as much as I would have liked since it has been a busy week. Very glad I did it, though. Our CSO is really helpful, and honestly I think anyone at any school should go in and do some mock interviews, unless you are used to interviewing regularly or know for sure you are great at them.

I had 2 biglaw interviews during break (aka before I could do a mock). LAME.

The first one went mediocre, the second one went really well, in case anyone gives a shit.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 pm

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

What happened?

I had 2 biglaw interviews during break (aka before I could do a mock). LAME.

The first one went mediocre, the second one went really well, in case anyone gives a shit.

Did you feel you just interviewed much better in the second one because you had some more experience under your belt, or was it some other reason?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 pm

traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:I had 2 biglaw interviews during break (aka before I could do a mock). LAME.

Did you feel you just interviewed much better in the second one because you had some more experience under your belt, or was it some other reason?

Better interviewers, experience, and I was more comfortable at the 2nd firm (people there knew my dad, grandfather, family friends etc.)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:Was supposed to have my mock interview tonight, but it got cancelled because of the weather. My 1L SA interview is next week.... woulda been nice to have some advice/confidence going in. Oh well, this job is going to a Penn kid anyway so what do I care.

What weather? It didn't even rain here today.

Also, don't be defeatist about your interview before you even go.

traehekat wrote:Thankfully it was just with the career advisors at our CSO and not an actual employer, but I just had long-winded, weak answers basically. I knew what I wanted to say, it just took me forever to say it and by the time I got it out I had already rambled off a bunch of nonsense. I also didn't prepare for it as much as I would have liked since it has been a busy week. Very glad I did it, though. Our CSO is really helpful, and honestly I think anyone at any school should go in and do some mock interviews, unless you are used to interviewing regularly or know for sure you are great at them.

It's always good to mess up in a case where it doesn't really matter and you can get the nerves out :).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Was supposed to have my mock interview tonight, but it got cancelled because of the weather. My 1L SA interview is next week.... woulda been nice to have some advice/confidence going in. Oh well, this job is going to a Penn kid anyway so what do I care.

It was icy as hell this morning, and was supposed to be much worse so they preemptively cancelled it. We were also doing our mock interviews with big philly firms (Fox Rothchild, etc) so I think it was just to be sure they didn't waste their time with a late cancel.

I'm not being defeatist, just realistic. I'm going to nail the fuck out of the interview because I have a genuine interest and passion for the work. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 pm

phonepro wrote:I want to ask. How inappropriate is that? LOL.

If true, I'd say it is pretty inappropriate, but I could be in the minority on that.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 pm

More than 20 apps in. Only 1 interview, for a part-time gig at a small firm in a small city. Only one "We've received your app and may consider it," e-mail. Literally nothing from everywhere else. This is horrid. I have a memo due, and am still spending all of my homework time, all of my in class time and a good portion of my sleeping time trying to find a unpaid job.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:27 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:More than 20 apps in. Only 1 interview, for a part-time gig at a small firm in a small city. Only one "We've received your app and may consider it," e-mail. Literally nothing from everywhere else. This is horrid. I have a memo due, and am still spending all of my homework time, all of my in class time and a good portion of my sleeping time trying to find a unpaid job.

Are you only looking for firm work? Cause if you are you should definitely branch out into PI and judicial stuff. Also get some RA interviews going.

I don't know what you're actually doing so feel free to disregard this :lol:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:

It was icy as hell this morning, and was supposed to be much worse so they preemptively cancelled it. We were also doing our mock interviews with big philly firms (Fox Rothchild, etc) so I think it was just to be sure they didn't waste their time with a late cancel.

I'm not being defeatist, just realistic. I'm going to nail the fuck out of the interview because I have a genuine interest and passion for the work. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Makes sense. It was supposed to be pretty terrible and I was surprised when it wasn't.

We have a mix of Philly/NJ firms coming here for something similar, but it's not until the end of the month.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:More than 20 apps in. Only 1 interview, for a part-time gig at a small firm in a small city. Only one "We've received your app and may consider it," e-mail. Literally nothing from everywhere else. This is horrid. I have a memo due, and am still spending all of my homework time, all of my in class time and a good portion of my sleeping time trying to find a unpaid job.

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time just worry about summer employment. A lot less on reading, legal writing, etc. Just want to get something settled so I can move on.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

mths wrote:Also get some RA interviews going.

What does this even mean? Just email some random prof and be like, "Yo lemme be your RA?"

I mean, how does one even go about securing an RA position without 1) a good personal relationship with a prof or 2) the prof solicits you or others to be an RA?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 pm

I sent out over 70 apps to firms of all sizes all over my home state and the surrounding areas and I haven't had any better luck than you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Are you guys not applying to prosecutors jobs? I've already got three interviews, and I sent all those out within the last 2-3 weeks.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:

What does this even mean? Just email some random prof and be like, "Yo lemme be your RA?"

I mean, how does one even go about securing an RA position without 1) a good personal relationship with a prof or 2) the prof solicits you or others to be an RA?

Well I talked to my favorite professor about a position and was offered a spot but a lot of my classmates are just researching any given professor's study area, expressing interest in an email, and sending in a resume. Professors seem to be very open to talk with students about this and several of my classmates have gotten jobs in this way.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are you guys not applying to prosecutors jobs? I've already got three interviews, and I sent all those out within the last 2-3 weeks.

+1, I've seen some response on this front.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 am

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Are you guys not applying to prosecutors jobs? I've already got three interviews, and I sent all those out within the last 2-3 weeks.

+1, I've seen some response on this front.

I also just checked our Simplicity and there are a bunch of Prosecutors offices on there. My sister did that her 1L year and loved it (she also got to work in Homicide; seriously, if anyone has a department choice, choose Homicide).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 am

mths wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Well I talked to my favorite professor about a position and was offered a spot but a lot of my classmates are just researching any given professor's study area, expressing interest in an email, and sending in a resume. Professors seem to be very open to talk with students about this and several of my classmates have gotten jobs in this way.

Hmm, interesting. I will see if any of our professors' have a scholarly interest in "boats and hoes" and promptly submit my resume for consideration.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am

mths wrote:

Are you only looking for firm work? Cause if you are you should definitely branch out into PI and judicial stuff. Also get some RA interviews going.

I don't know what you're actually doing so feel free to disregard this :lol:

I'm applying mainly to public interest/goverment positions with the occasional judicial internship and firm thrown in. As for RA, I was going to ask my one professor when I met with him about seeing my exam, but, he hasn't yet gotten back to me. I might have to bug him.

I've never really considered it. But, what the hell. It might actually be interesting. How did you go about finding them? There aren't any on Simplicity.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 am

snowpeach06 wrote: I've never really considered it. But, what the hell. It might actually be interesting. How did you go about finding them? There aren't any on Simplicity.

Some of them, I just sent a cover letter/resume in. For some of the bigger cities, they have info/applications on their websites. I have an interview with the one here in the city, as well as in a few counties surrounding St. Louis. I've also applied to the one where my gf lives (where I went to UG) and where I am from.

Almost all prosecutor's offices will have a program, even if it is not on their website. Just send them a cover letter expressing interest.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 am

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote: I've never really considered it. But, what the hell. It might actually be interesting. How did you go about finding them? There aren't any on Simplicity.

Some of them, I just sent a cover letter/resume in. For some of the bigger cities, they have info/applications on their websites. I have an interview with the one here in the city, as well as in a few counties surrounding St. Louis. I've also applied to the one where my gf lives (where I went to UG) and where I am from.

Almost all prosecutor's offices will have a program, even if it is not on their website. Just send them a cover letter expressing interest.

My home county is so small we don't even have a prosecutor :-(. Cleveland does - I feel like there is no way at least one of my classmates hasn't gotten it already though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

My home county is so small we don't even have a prosecutor :-(. Cleveland does - I feel like there is no way at least one of my classmates hasn't gotten it already though.

Look in surrounding counties, if they are a close enough drive, or in other areas around Ohio. And I doubt it is filled yet... most bigger cities don't have them filled til later in the semester, plus they take a lot of interns. I'm sure Cleveland has a good number of spots, so it is worth an app for sure.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:33 am

I guess I'll give it a try. Anyway, in all of my job applying and going on this website, I failed to write even half of the draft of a motion to dismiss that I have due tomorrow. Since my school never closes... I think I'm fucked and won't be able to sleep tomorrow night. But tonight, I give up. TV time it is.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 am

So if I'm applying for a summer internship in a city that I really love - but is absent on my resume, how do I convince them to believe me? I've visited like 4 times, and two of my best friends live there. But that's about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”