1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 pm

how about a nice burberry tie :)

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 am

romothesavior wrote:I think TCR is not to wear a pinstriped suit.


too late, already thoroughly convinced myself that it was not a big mistake buying a suit with pinstripes. if i get a paying gig i'll throw down a little more and pick up a more standard suit.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 am

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I think TCR is not to wear a pinstriped suit.


too late, already thoroughly convinced myself that it was not a big mistake buying a suit with pinstripes. if i get a paying gig i'll throw down a little more and pick up a more standard suit.

You posted it in another thread, right? I think I saw it, and it wasn't bad. It actually looked like a pretty good suit, if you got it fitted right.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 am

how do you work in being gay into applications? i'm regretting not putting it on my law firm apps for diversity purposes.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 am

I'm wearing my badass Brooks Bros tie for interviews. Got several lolci interviews w/ Southern firms. Gotta be classic ya know.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 am

phonepro wrote:how do you work in being gay into applications? i'm regretting not putting it on my law firm apps for diversity purposes.


I did this in several ways. Noted my prior work with GLBT organizations (with which I had volunteered/worked pre-LS), and made sure to note the two GLBT organizations I'm involved with here in school (Outlaw + one other).

You can also make it a pretty apparent part of your resume, including GLBT stuff under your activities, work experience, other interests, etc. If a firm sees "Outlaw" they'll guess you are GLBT, just like a firm seeing "Latino Law Student Association" will guess you are Latino.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:47 am

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I think TCR is not to wear a pinstriped suit.


too late, already thoroughly convinced myself that it was not a big mistake buying a suit with pinstripes. if i get a paying gig i'll throw down a little more and pick up a more standard suit.



My favorite suit is dark charcoal with subtle grey and tan pinstripes. I wore it into pretty much every single interview. I had something like a 60% offer rate in 26 or so interviews as a 2L...

Wear something navy, charcoal, or grey to be safe, but the pattern on it isn't gonna hurt you. Remember, they're hiring the person in the suit.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm

i got an interview with a judge in NY appellate division, second department. any opinions on how "good" this internship is.

i just sent out a ton of firm apps and was hoping to wait to hear from them (but since its so late, itll prob be all rejects anyway.. applied to midsize firms too).

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Just got a rejection email from a firm saying they do not nor have they ever had a summer associate program... I got the application materials and email from their webpage about their summer internship program... guess they just wanted to let me down gently.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:20 pm

anyone get PILF@NYU schedules yet?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just got a rejection email from a firm saying they do not nor have they ever had a summer associate program... I got the application materials and email from their webpage about their summer internship program... guess they just wanted to let me down gently.

This is weird.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby danidancer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:anyone get PILF@NYU schedules yet?


No. Grumble.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

An hour after i e-mailed my career advisor about a mock interview b/c of my interview with a judge in appellate division ny, theres a posting on symplicity about an appellate judge in the same division looking for an intern. hmmm.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 pm

phonepro wrote:An hour after i e-mailed my career advisor about a mock interview b/c of my interview with a judge in appellate division ny, theres a posting on symplicity about an appellate judge in the same division looking for an intern. hmmm.



LOL. It appears nobody trusts (or at the minimum, extremely skeptical of) the career offices anymore these days - both prospective and current students.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
phonepro wrote:An hour after i e-mailed my career advisor about a mock interview b/c of my interview with a judge in appellate division ny, theres a posting on symplicity about an appellate judge in the same division looking for an intern. hmmm.



LOL. It appears nobody trusts (or at the minimum, extremely skeptical of) the career offices anymore these days - both prospective and current students.


i hate them.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Weee, LOLCI interview with a DA's office.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Got mock interview pwn'd today.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm

traehekat wrote:Got mock interview pwn'd today.


What happened?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

I like my CSO so far. Signed up for two events including a mock interview with a regional midlaw firm that I really like.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

traehekat wrote:Got mock interview pwn'd today.


Yikes! But probably better to get mock interview pwn'd than real interview pwn'd :lol:.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:58 pm

keg411 wrote:I like my CSO so far. Signed up for two events including a mock interview with a regional midlaw firm that I really like.


My CSO has set up some career panels, mock interviews and reviewed my documents. I guess its hard to expect them to do much more than that. I was always under the impression that CSO's have lists of employers/judges/DA/PD offices that frequently hire from them and can get you in touch with them directly so you're not just mass mailing them but apparently thats not true at my school.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Does anyone think its a possibility they actually called the division to see who was hiring after I let them know I have an interview? It seems too coincidental that an hour later its on symplicity (the interview came just from me mass mailing). Very dirty of them if so. But I'm probably just a nut job.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 pm

phonepro wrote:Does anyone think its a possibility they actually called the division to see who was hiring after I let them know I have an interview? It seems too coincidental that an hour later its on symplicity (the interview came just from me mass mailing). Very dirty of them if so. But I'm probably just a nut job.

I think it sounds like a real possibility.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

phonepro wrote:Does anyone think its a possibility they actually called the division to see who was hiring after I let them know I have an interview? It seems too coincidental that an hour later its on symplicity (the interview came just from me mass mailing). Very dirty of them if so. But I'm probably just a nut job.


Maybe it's just a coincidence? I don't think CSO's are that evil (at least I don't get the sense that mine is at all). Of course, it's certainly possible if your school has a bad rep for stuff like that (or it a true TTT or TTTT).

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm

I want to ask. How inappropriate is that? LOL.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.