1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
funkyturds
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby funkyturds » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 am

How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 am

funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


Whatever you do, don't tell them you have a fursona.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Kretzy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 am

funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


This question is of interest to me.

Edit: The fursona part, however, is not.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 am

funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


I can't speak for diversity callbacks specifically, but for 1L BigLaw callbacks I think it's really all over the place. I had one last week and one this week, and I get the impression that there are many more interviewees for each than there are jobs. It's still rare to get an interview like this to begin with (so congrats), but there's no telling how many students you're up against.

I would say that you should be stoked, and should go into the interview with confidence, but that you definitely shouldn't get your hopes up. Diversity or not, 1L firm jobs are incredibly scarce, so these employers have the ability to interview anyone who they are interested enough in to be deemed worth the interviewing partners' time.

J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 am

Kretzy wrote:
funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


This question is of interest to me.

Edit: The fursona part, however, is not.


:lol:

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?

Your tar is way too creepy . . . it should be banned.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 pm

funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?

Consider your chances to be very slim. I was invited out for drinks by the hiring partner at a firm that did not hire me, so there's really no cue other than an offer that means you're gettng the job. Another partner at a different firm responded to my thank you email with, "I look forward to seeing you this summer," and then I got a rejection letter from the firm. Just do your best, but if you don't get an offer within a week, it's probably not happening.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?

Your tar is way too creepy . . . it should be banned.


The name doesn't help, either. :D

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm

JazzOne wrote: Another partner at a different firm responded to my thank you email with, "I look forward to seeing you this summer," and then I got a rejection letter from the firm.

That's got to be the equivalent of getting tallywhacked.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Just got the confirmation email for the 1L SA interview. Welp, I guess getting dinged in 3 weeks as opposed to right now is fine.

User avatar
funkyturds
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby funkyturds » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm

rad law wrote:
funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


Whatever you do, don't tell them you have a fursona.


What do you think I wrote about in my diversity essay? :D

Thanks for the responses. For what it's worth, the firm is asking me to fly half-way across the country for the callback...I'm hoping that they wouldn't have me do this unless they were really serious about giving me an offer. It's also in a secondary market where I have strong ties to.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

funkyturds wrote:
rad law wrote:
funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?


Whatever you do, don't tell them you have a fursona.


What do you think I wrote about in my diversity essay? :D

Thanks for the responses. For what it's worth, the firm is asking me to fly half-way across the country for the callback...I'm hoping that they wouldn't have me do this unless they were really serious about giving me an offer. It's also in a secondary market where I have strong ties to.


For what it's worth, I'm sure they're 100% serious about considering you for the position. I'm just saying that the "black box" element is the fact that you don't know how many people they're interviewing for the position(s).

But they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't legitimately interested in you. Either way, good luck!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:
funkyturds wrote:How should I consider my chances at an offer after getting a callback from a firm for a 1L diversity fellowship?

Consider your chances to be very slim. I was invited out for drinks by the hiring partner at a firm that did not hire me, so there's really no cue other than an offer that means you're gettng the job. Another partner at a different firm responded to my thank you email with, "I look forward to seeing you this summer," and then I got a rejection letter from the firm. Just do your best, but if you don't get an offer within a week, it's probably not happening.

cr

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just got the confirmation email for the 1L SA interview. Welp, I guess getting dinged in 3 weeks as opposed to right now is fine.


1L SA's are weird. Work your connections and your interest in the practice areas and you never know.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby solotee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Are solid ties ok for big law interviews? I'm looking at the profiles of attorneys at the law firm that's interviewing me, and none seem to have solid ties. Is there something against wearing solid ties?

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby goosey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

final round interview for judicial internship tomorrow.

If this works out, I will be so relieved. can dedicate the rest of my semester to studying and kicking con law/k's/property butt. and I can plan my summer.

I think I'm a little relieved I didnt get the firm position---you can't leave a big law firm for a week bc you're getting married..esp if you want an offer for next summer. At least with the judicial internship I was honest with them up front that Im getting married in june and will need a week or so off---I'm going to the maldives :) awesome post-1L vacation. :mrgreen: I told them I'd make up the time by either starting before or finishing after and they seemed okay enough with it to give me a 2nd interview, so I am super stoked and REALLY want this to work out.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm

solotee wrote:Are solid ties ok for big law interviews? I'm looking at the profiles of attorneys at the law firm that's interviewing me, and none seem to have solid ties. Is there something against wearing solid ties?


i can't really put my finger on it either, but for some reason i wouldn't go with a solid tie. i think it may be because they seem too "hip" or something. i would go a little more conservative.

speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.
Last edited by traehekat on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 pm

traehekat wrote:
solotee wrote:Are solid ties ok for big law interviews? I'm looking at the profiles of attorneys at the law firm that's interviewing me, and none seem to have solid ties. Is there something against wearing solid ties?


i can't really put my finger on it either, but for some reason i wouldn't go with a solid tie. i think it may be because they seem to "hip" or something. i would go a little more conservative.

speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.


You are def overthinking it. I wouldn't worry. Just wear whatever looks good and not terribly flashy

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm

traehekat wrote:
speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.

Bring the suit to somewhere that sells ties and have someone help you. I told the chick that I was interviewing with people who were likely to be conservative, and she picked out a bunch of ties that worked with my suit and were conservative enough. I figure that these people have been dressing nicely for awhile, so someone who screws something up will be noticeable right off the bat to them. I pretty much left all of the suit decision stuff up to the people in the store.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

dakatz wrote:
traehekat wrote:
solotee wrote:Are solid ties ok for big law interviews? I'm looking at the profiles of attorneys at the law firm that's interviewing me, and none seem to have solid ties. Is there something against wearing solid ties?


i can't really put my finger on it either, but for some reason i wouldn't go with a solid tie. i think it may be because they seem to "hip" or something. i would go a little more conservative.

speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.


You are def overthinking it. I wouldn't worry. Just wear whatever looks good and not terribly flashy


yeah that's what my dad said. then one of my friends told me i'd look like a fucking optical illusion.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:
traehekat wrote:
speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.

Bring the suit to somewhere that sells ties and have someone help you. I told the chick that I was interviewing with people who were likely to be conservative, and she picked out a bunch of ties that worked with my suit and were conservative enough. I figure that these people have been dressing nicely for awhile, so someone who screws something up will be noticeable right off the bat to them. I pretty much left all of the suit decision stuff up to the people in the store.


yeah i actually went back to the store i bought the suit from and held up some ties to it to see what worked. im happy with my choice, im just curious to see if you guys share that same feeling that diagonal ties are a no go with pinstripes.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 pm

traehekat wrote:yeah i actually went back to the store i bought the suit from and held up some ties to it to see what worked. im happy with my choice, im just curious to see if you guys share that same feeling that diagonal ties are a no go with pinstripes.

I'd tend to agree. Find a good solid color tie and I think that'll be good. I'm wary of pattern ties though.
Image

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:
traehekat wrote:yeah i actually went back to the store i bought the suit from and held up some ties to it to see what worked. im happy with my choice, im just curious to see if you guys share that same feeling that diagonal ties are a no go with pinstripes.

I'd tend to agree. Find a good solid color tie and I think that'll be good. I'm wary of pattern ties though.
Image


eh see i just don't know if that is great for an interview, esp if trying to go conservative (obv pinstripes aside). it just looks TOO stylish lol.

im sure its not a big deal. as long as you don't look like a slob or over the top i don't think anyone is really going to notice, and that's all that matters.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby goosey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 pm

traehekat wrote:
solotee wrote:Are solid ties ok for big law interviews? I'm looking at the profiles of attorneys at the law firm that's interviewing me, and none seem to have solid ties. Is there something against wearing solid ties?


i can't really put my finger on it either, but for some reason i wouldn't go with a solid tie. i think it may be because they seem too "hip" or something. i would go a little more conservative.

speaking of ties, what do you guys think the proper kind of tie is to wear with a suit that has some faint pinstripes? i dont think a diagonal stripe is good, because it would just be too many lines going everywhere, so i think i am going to go with a geometric pattern that is pretty small.



actually diagonal stripes with a pinstriped suit is not necessarily bad--it all depends on the stripes though. You would not look like an optical illusion. You just need to get the right tie with it--be it striped or geometric. I feel like solid ties are too regis philbin. and in an interview setting, it would just be too "final answer" esque.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm

I think TCR is not to wear a pinstriped suit.

And re: solid ties, not necessarily out, but if they come off as a "power tie" (I hate that phrase but w/e), then they're not a good thing. Be confident in what you wear, but be subtle.

I like a red or blue tie with small white dots, but that's just me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.