1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
keg411 wrote:Got the State Supreme Court internship! Definitely a better "fit" for me than the Fed Judge -- we sang during my interview :lol:.

COngrats keg...but the bolded part needed an explanation without me having to ask for one...

By singing, do you mean humming?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Haha, that sounds like its a great fir personality-wise and should be a good summer. Which state?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
keg411 wrote:Got the State Supreme Court internship! Definitely a better "fit" for me than the Fed Judge -- we sang during my interview :lol:.

COngrats keg...but the bolded part needed an explanation without me having to ask for one...

No, I mean full singing. It was awesome :D.

BD - the state my school is in.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 pm

keg411 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Ah, got ya'.

On another note, a friend of mine just landed a State Supreme Court internship without grades. How is this even possible?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

keg411 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

I was just joking.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Ah, got ya'.

On another note, a friend of mine just landed a State Supreme Court internship without grades. How is this even possible?[/quote]

I had an interview with a federal district judge without any grades in the very beginning of january. I didn't get the gig (well i still never heard back), but i'm assuming someone did. and he never asked for grades.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:29 am

Just got an interview with the Discipline Board of the State Supreme Court through OCI...

There is no information given about the position at all.

This should be fun!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 am

Got a few confirmations from judges that said they don't even start reviewing apps until march. Maybe that's the case for a bunch of em, which would explain my depressing results so far (if the glaring typo in my writing sample isn't explanation enough). Applied to about 50 firms but they pretty much all say they are all set with summer positions. So if they hire 1L's at all, it would seem the are hired before grades even come, which just seems silly to me. I sill hold out hope that thus will turn around. Sorry for whining about this yet again today. It was just in my mind a lot today since my grades most surely reached all the judges by now, yet my phone is silent.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 am

Ugh job searching ugh.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 am

does anyone have an excel spreadsheet with NY state trial judges? my school only has one for federal judges -__-

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Thank ya mucho!

Do I know you?

Seriously...I hate you. Of course you know me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Thank ya mucho!

Do I know you?

Seriously...I hate you. Of course you know me.

Haha okay. Just making sure =)

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Two questions guys:

1) What should I expect from a public interest/public service networking event? Any advice on going about this? Good way to "work the room"?

2) What kind of question should I expect from a public interest/public service organization interview?

I'm a 1L searching for a summer gig.

Shameless bump.

blackdragons

Postby blackdragons » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Got my foreign externship secure yesterday. Will work for a foreign law firm during the summer. I think this probably is a good news after the horrified final waiting experience. Good luck for everyone who are still searching.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:47 pm

f0bolous wrote:
thanks RT (i'm wondering if you're in my section)...

I mass mailed the judge looking off another school's judicial internship excel chart (lol) since there's so little data on people from UT going to Atlanta. So, there's no info on whether the court honors split summers or not. Maybe someone on TLS knows? Anyhow, I think I might email the judicial assistant back and ask her if they split before the interview. If not, I'll just decline then. I figure it's better to decline upfront than reject after the fact.

evidently split summers for judicial internships are "unusual" in Atlanta, so "unfortunately, [they] won't be able to accommodate [me]"

blah

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:49 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Ah, got ya'.

On another note, a friend of mine just landed a State Supreme Court internship without grades. How is this even possible?

I know people a fair amount of people who got COA and District Court internships without grades. I didn't think it was that unusual.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 am

For those who are receiving pre-select interviews from big firms through symplicity, how many have you received so far?
Last edited by solotee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klmnumbers

Postby klmnumbers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Good luck to all the 1Ls searching for jobs.

I know my first summer was a serious shit show of stress trying to find work. I ended up with two internships (one from 8:00-12:30 and the other from 1-5:00 every day. So, 40 hour work week unpaid. I do not recommend this) at two different firms last year.

I got one from honestly reading through our alumni list for "small" sized firms and just sending out e-mails with my resume. The other I got through our job posting website deal.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this summer. I know that I've got a spot at the firm I worked at during this school year (and my 1L summer), but I kinda want to find government work. Not looking forward to diving back into the job search and whipping out my suit.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm

danidancer wrote:Ugh job searching ugh.

Amen.

I've been holed up in my room all day- just searching and submitting. Searching. and. submitting.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Does anyone else find that Gov't employment is sometimes more of a character evaluation than anything else? I have interviewed for some Gov't positions (a mix of paid and unpaid) and only one asked me for grades and they all seemed way more interested in just shooting the shit and getting to know me. I haven't had any responses yet (interviews were all in the past week). The one private firm interview I've had was just a complete butthole ripping session in which the interviewer was all too happy to make it seem like he had dozens of better things to be doing.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

beach_terror wrote:Where exactly in the pecking order is doing research with a professor? Currently, I have an interview with a boutique firm in my desired area of concentration but the chances of me getting it are slim (1 spot and I'm sure they're doing OCI at all the peer schools). So my other options as of now are DA's offices and USAO offices.

Would you guys take DA/USAO over research with a prof? I figure being an RA would help me boost my writing/research skills. I managed to do surprisingly well in LRW, and actually really enjoyed the entire process. I did well enough in a class that I'll be "invited" to apply to be an RA.

I think it depends on the professor. If your professor is one of the heavyweights at your school, someone who is well-known in the legal field, then it's probably worth it. Working for a professor who just started teaching after 3 years out of law school might not be as valuable from a recommendation perspective, although it's probably a good experience.

Also, make sure it's a professor you would want to work with. I just started working as a research assistant for a professor during the school year, and so far I am really enjoying it. The professor I am working with is really nice and is open to my being creative and coming up with ideas. And I feel like I am learning a lot and sharpening my research skills. But I feel like it wouldn't be such a good experience if the professor were not as nice/accommodating/open to student innovation. So I suggest trying to get a sense of what kind of work the professor will have you do and whether it would be a good match. If you can, talk to other students who have worked for this professor in the past.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 pm

solotee wrote:For those who are receiving pre-select interviews from big firms through symplicity, how many have you received so far?

2. Tho I have heard that both firms have only one spot and they are both doiing interviews at NYU as well.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 pm

how relevant are these jobs to someone's future employment? if you work at some PI firm in a small town, is that going to limit your options going forward?

kind of a random question but i figured starting a new thread would be dumb.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

td6624 wrote:how relevant are these jobs to someone's future employment? if you work at some PI firm in a small town, is that going to limit your options going forward?

Not very. 1L jobs won't limit your career options, but if you work for a large firm your 1L summer they'll usually give you the option to come back during your 2L summer (so long as you don't screw up everything). Along those lines, working for one employer/type of employer won't limit your options during your 2L summer. Something like 80+ percent of NYU 1Ls do PI work.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
td6624 wrote:how relevant are these jobs to someone's future employment? if you work at some PI firm in a small town, is that going to limit your options going forward?

Not very. 1L jobs won't limit your career options, but if you work for a large firm your 1L summer they'll usually give you the option to come back during your 2L summer (so long as you don't screw up everything). Along those lines, working for one employer/type of employer won't limit your options during your 2L summer. Something like 80+ percent of NYU 1Ls do PI work.

thanks. that's the assumption i've been working under, but everyone freaking out about everything made me want to make sure.

Return to “Legal Employment”