1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm

A Supreme Court judge in my state actually posted on Symplicity that he is looking for 1L externs so it does happen.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 pm

savagecheater wrote:Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....

I just got a SSC interview. Sent apps last week.

BarbellDreams, we had one post on our Simplicity too, but it wasn't the one that I'm interviewing with.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 am

Had a glimmer of hope with a family friend at a small firm. That has since been extinguished by a LRW memo staring at me, judging me with those (i)s.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:53 am

Interview with a firm tomorrow. Really wanting to figure this job thing out, because I am wholly unmotivated to do any law school work...maybe having a position locked-up will change that?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 am

keg411 wrote:
savagecheater wrote:Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....

I just got a SSC interview. Sent apps last week.

BarbellDreams, we had one post on our Simplicity too, but it wasn't the one that I'm interviewing with.

All the Texas Supreme Court justices and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judges posted on our Symplicity. Some on both sent back letters that they don't hire 1L's, but a couple from each court offer summer internships to UT students every year.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 am

Kretzy wrote:Interview with a firm tomorrow. Really wanting to figure this job thing out, because I am wholly unmotivated to do any law school work...maybe having a position locked-up will change that?

Had one today. Delighted with how fun it (somehow) was. And amen re: the motivation.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 am

Find out tomorrow about OCI pre-selects, supposedly.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 am

traehekat wrote:Find out tomorrow about OCI pre-selects, supposedly.

Entirely preselect? Bummer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

I pretty much only apply to firms that I can spin a decent cover letter for. If I can't make a good cover letter then I'm not going to bother applying because someone who really wants the job will write a good one, probably get the interview over me, and interview much better than me anyway because... you know, they actually have reasons they want to work there other than it being a good gig.

Just my .02.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

I pretty much only apply to firms that I can spin a decent cover letter for. If I can't make a good cover letter then I'm not going to bother applying because someone who really wants the job will write a good one, probably get the interview over me, and interview much better than me anyway because... you know, they actually have reasons they want to work there other than it being a good gig.

Just my .02.

The problem is, I can't really distinguish mid-large firms in my market at this point. I mean, they aren't in Chambers guide or anything, and I haven't really been a law student long enough to know the differences/highlights/etc. of the various firms. I want to work for them because they are respectable firms with lotsa skrilla. But how to say that? Maybe I'll just say, "Lemme get in on somma dat skrilla, yo."

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Did I already send you a cover letter? Sometimes all you can say is "you're strong in XYZ and that's what I want to do." Research on their website and on chambers can only get you so far.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Just my .02.

The problem is, I can't really distinguish mid-large firms in my market at this point. I mean, they aren't in Chambers guide or anything, and I haven't really been a law student long enough to know the differences/highlights/etc. of the various firms. I want to work for them because they are respectable firms with lotsa skrilla. But how to say that? Maybe I'll just say, "Lemme get in on somma dat skrilla, yo."

Depending on how much time you have you can always see if an alum works there and see what they have to say about the firm.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

rad law wrote:

Did I already send you a cover letter? Sometimes all you can say is "you're strong in XYZ and that's what I want to do." Research on their website and on chambers can only get you so far.

Alright, I'll suck it up. And yeah, you did. It was helpful.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm

I had a stock firm cover letter, a stock DA office cover letter and a stock judge cover letter. I only switched things up if I had a connection of some sort in the office, otherwise I mass mailed the stock ones. Mine basically said my qualifications for firm work and how they relate to (insert practice like IP, real estate, litigation, etc.). I fully plan on getting 40 rejections (2 so far), but I am honestly doing this to see if its even possible to get 1 interview out of it for this summer since 1L's from T2 schools rarely get firm gigs.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I had a stock firm cover letter, a stock DA office cover letter and a stock judge cover letter. I only switched things up if I had a connection of some sort in the office, otherwise I mass mailed the stock ones. Mine basically said my qualifications for firm work and how they relate to (insert practice like IP, real estate, litigation, etc.). I fully plan on getting 40 rejections (2 so far), but I am honestly doing this to see if its even possible to get 1 interview out of it for this summer since 1L's from T2 schools rarely get firm gigs.

I got an interview with one before grades, but I'm definitely going to get knocked out of consideration as soon as they see that I'm just outside the top 25% (which is where I'd be based on last year). FML.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

whoa... that came out big. lol

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm

phonepro wrote: hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?

i've included writing samples with all applications to judges, but only for firms who specifically ask for them.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:28 pm

traehekat wrote:
phonepro wrote: hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?

i've included writing samples with all applications to judges, but only for firms who specifically ask for them.

thank you!

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Finally starting to have some interview requests come in now that my grade update was out. Was reading through my writing sample and it had a typo pretty much at the very end. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it, and can't believe I missed it. But my guess is that most will skim it, and few will reach the very end of the document once they have already gotten a feel for my writing style (at least thats how I console myself).

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

mths wrote:RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked

You're choosing to stay at MTHS for the summer?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:21 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked

You're choosing to stay at MTHS for the summer?

that I am my friend, that I am

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm

note to self: Speak kindly of how a joint JD/MBA will help further my legal career when an interviewer is head of the joint degree department. oops. :?

Return to “Legal Employment”