1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm

A Supreme Court judge in my state actually posted on Symplicity that he is looking for 1L externs so it does happen.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 pm

savagecheater wrote:Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....


I just got a SSC interview. Sent apps last week.

BarbellDreams, we had one post on our Simplicity too, but it wasn't the one that I'm interviewing with.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 am

Had a glimmer of hope with a family friend at a small firm. That has since been extinguished by a LRW memo staring at me, judging me with those (i)s.

Kretzy
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:53 am

Interview with a firm tomorrow. Really wanting to figure this job thing out, because I am wholly unmotivated to do any law school work...maybe having a position locked-up will change that?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 am

keg411 wrote:
savagecheater wrote:Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....


I just got a SSC interview. Sent apps last week.

BarbellDreams, we had one post on our Simplicity too, but it wasn't the one that I'm interviewing with.


All the Texas Supreme Court justices and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judges posted on our Symplicity. Some on both sent back letters that they don't hire 1L's, but a couple from each court offer summer internships to UT students every year.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 am

Kretzy wrote:Interview with a firm tomorrow. Really wanting to figure this job thing out, because I am wholly unmotivated to do any law school work...maybe having a position locked-up will change that?

Had one today. Delighted with how fun it (somehow) was. And amen re: the motivation.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 am

Find out tomorrow about OCI pre-selects, supposedly.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 am

traehekat wrote:Find out tomorrow about OCI pre-selects, supposedly.


Entirely preselect? Bummer.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7593
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

I pretty much only apply to firms that I can spin a decent cover letter for. If I can't make a good cover letter then I'm not going to bother applying because someone who really wants the job will write a good one, probably get the interview over me, and interview much better than me anyway because... you know, they actually have reasons they want to work there other than it being a good gig.

Just my .02.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

I pretty much only apply to firms that I can spin a decent cover letter for. If I can't make a good cover letter then I'm not going to bother applying because someone who really wants the job will write a good one, probably get the interview over me, and interview much better than me anyway because... you know, they actually have reasons they want to work there other than it being a good gig.

Just my .02.

The problem is, I can't really distinguish mid-large firms in my market at this point. I mean, they aren't in Chambers guide or anything, and I haven't really been a law student long enough to know the differences/highlights/etc. of the various firms. I want to work for them because they are respectable firms with lotsa skrilla. But how to say that? Maybe I'll just say, "Lemme get in on somma dat skrilla, yo."

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.


Did I already send you a cover letter? Sometimes all you can say is "you're strong in XYZ and that's what I want to do." Research on their website and on chambers can only get you so far.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.

I pretty much only apply to firms that I can spin a decent cover letter for. If I can't make a good cover letter then I'm not going to bother applying because someone who really wants the job will write a good one, probably get the interview over me, and interview much better than me anyway because... you know, they actually have reasons they want to work there other than it being a good gig.

Just my .02.

The problem is, I can't really distinguish mid-large firms in my market at this point. I mean, they aren't in Chambers guide or anything, and I haven't really been a law student long enough to know the differences/highlights/etc. of the various firms. I want to work for them because they are respectable firms with lotsa skrilla. But how to say that? Maybe I'll just say, "Lemme get in on somma dat skrilla, yo."


Depending on how much time you have you can always see if an alum works there and see what they have to say about the firm.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What do you guys say when you are mass mailing small/mid/large firms? The cover letters I sent to the firms I really want were very tailored and talked about things I liked about the firm. But what about when I'm just blowing smoke to firms I've barely heard of? Like, "O hai, yer firmz is reel good, let me work there, kthxbai?" I wanna keep it short and sweet, but I'm blanking on what to say to these peeps. Anybody wanna help a brotha out? PM me or somethin.


Did I already send you a cover letter? Sometimes all you can say is "you're strong in XYZ and that's what I want to do." Research on their website and on chambers can only get you so far.

Alright, I'll suck it up. And yeah, you did. It was helpful.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm

I had a stock firm cover letter, a stock DA office cover letter and a stock judge cover letter. I only switched things up if I had a connection of some sort in the office, otherwise I mass mailed the stock ones. Mine basically said my qualifications for firm work and how they relate to (insert practice like IP, real estate, litigation, etc.). I fully plan on getting 40 rejections (2 so far), but I am honestly doing this to see if its even possible to get 1 interview out of it for this summer since 1L's from T2 schools rarely get firm gigs.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7593
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I had a stock firm cover letter, a stock DA office cover letter and a stock judge cover letter. I only switched things up if I had a connection of some sort in the office, otherwise I mass mailed the stock ones. Mine basically said my qualifications for firm work and how they relate to (insert practice like IP, real estate, litigation, etc.). I fully plan on getting 40 rejections (2 so far), but I am honestly doing this to see if its even possible to get 1 interview out of it for this summer since 1L's from T2 schools rarely get firm gigs.

I got an interview with one before grades, but I'm definitely going to get knocked out of consideration as soon as they see that I'm just outside the top 25% (which is where I'd be based on last year). FML.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

whoa... that came out big. lol

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm

phonepro wrote: hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?


i've included writing samples with all applications to judges, but only for firms who specifically ask for them.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:28 pm

traehekat wrote:
phonepro wrote: hey.. if you are mass mailing firms and judges do you include a writing sample?


i've included writing samples with all applications to judges, but only for firms who specifically ask for them.


thank you!

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mths » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Finally starting to have some interview requests come in now that my grade update was out. Was reading through my writing sample and it had a typo pretty much at the very end. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it, and can't believe I missed it. But my guess is that most will skim it, and few will reach the very end of the document once they have already gotten a feel for my writing style (at least thats how I console myself).

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

mths wrote:RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked


You're choosing to stay at MTHS for the summer?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mths » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:21 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:RA with my awesomesauce fave prof

stoked


You're choosing to stay at MTHS for the summer?

that I am my friend, that I am

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm

note to self: Speak kindly of how a joint JD/MBA will help further my legal career when an interviewer is head of the joint degree department. oops. :?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.