1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

keg411 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Got an offer at a PD office. Pretty excited.

Congrats!

Also, finally snagged a Fed clerkship interview :D.

In before some 2L runs in here yelling about you calling it a clerkship and the proper terminology is an internship :)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:23 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
keg411 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Got an offer at a PD office. Pretty excited.

Congrats!

Also, finally snagged a Fed clerkship interview :D.

In before some 2L runs in here yelling about you calling it a clerkship and the proper terminology is an internship :)

I never screwed that up either. Thanks for reminding me to edit :D.
Last edited by keg411 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Anyone have thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of doing U.S. Bankruptcy Court vs. Federal District Court? Someone was telling me they loved Bankruptcy Court, although I'm assuming Dist. Ct. is more prestigious.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Where exactly in the pecking order is doing research with a professor? Currently, I have an interview with a boutique firm in my desired area of concentration but the chances of me getting it are slim (1 spot and I'm sure they're doing OCI at all the peer schools). So my other options as of now are DA's offices and USAO offices.

Would you guys take DA/USAO over research with a prof? I figure being an RA would help me boost my writing/research skills. I managed to do surprisingly well in LRW, and actually really enjoyed the entire process. I did well enough in a class that I'll be "invited" to apply to be an RA.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm

thoughts on mass-mailing state judges (NY Sup. Ct. & appellate division, not COA b/c thats in Albany)?
1. is it a waste of time? 2. is it a good (enough) internship?

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:1L OCI bids due at 2 tomorrow. 17 firms, 15 bids to spread out. Not bidding on govt. Should be interesting.

Speaking of which, what is everyone else seeing as far as 1L OCI turnout? I know this isn't necessarily indicative of much (other than the already known fact that most places don't hire 1Ls), but I'm still kinda curious.

We had only 5 firms, 2 govt, 2 resume collections.

14 firms for 1L OCI

6 resume collects

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 pm

solotee wrote:
traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:1L OCI bids due at 2 tomorrow. 17 firms, 15 bids to spread out. Not bidding on govt. Should be interesting.

Speaking of which, what is everyone else seeing as far as 1L OCI turnout? I know this isn't necessarily indicative of much (other than the already known fact that most places don't hire 1Ls), but I'm still kinda curious.

14 firms for 1L OCI

6 resume collects

At our public interest 1L OCI (actually a big fair done with a few other schools in the area) we had 29 public interest/govt employers interviewing and 6 other employers of the same type collecting resumes.

At our own 1L OCI we had 6 firms (small/mid size, regional), 9 govt, and 3 others all interviewing.

We just got the results of our own 1L bidding back today - what are the legitimate chances of an interview or two turning into an actual job offer? I feel that it's pretty competitive and don't have high hopes.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:54 pm

xokel87 wrote:
solotee wrote:
traehekat wrote:

14 firms for 1L OCI

6 resume collects

At our public interest 1L OCI (actually a big fair done with a few other schools in the area) we had 29 public interest/govt employers interviewing and 6 other employers of the same type collecting resumes.

At our own 1L OCI we had 6 firms (small/mid size, regional), 9 govt, and 3 others all interviewing.

We just got the results of our own 1L bidding back today - what are the legitimate chances of an interview or two turning into an actual job offer? I feel that it's pretty competitive and don't have high hopes.

I've heard great things about the Mass Consortium...if that isn't what you are talking about...weird coincidence.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:04 am

beach_terror wrote:Where exactly in the pecking order is doing research with a professor? Currently, I have an interview with a boutique firm in my desired area of concentration but the chances of me getting it are slim (1 spot and I'm sure they're doing OCI at all the peer schools). So my other options as of now are DA's offices and USAO offices.

Would you guys take DA/USAO over research with a prof? I figure being an RA would help me boost my writing/research skills. I managed to do surprisingly well in LRW, and actually really enjoyed the entire process. I did well enough in a class that I'll be "invited" to apply to be an RA.

Dude. Prestige for 2L hiring doesn't matter that much. Go where you can form good relationships with older attys/profs. and have a good work experience.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:46 am

what do we think about in-house positions for the summer? no pay...just clinical credit

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:32 am

beach_terror wrote:Where exactly in the pecking order is doing research with a professor? Currently, I have an interview with a boutique firm in my desired area of concentration but the chances of me getting it are slim (1 spot and I'm sure they're doing OCI at all the peer schools). So my other options as of now are DA's offices and USAO offices.

I would take USAO over pretty much anything.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 am

keg411 wrote:

If firm doesn't work out (and it probably won't), I'm hoping for USAO.

downstream

Postby downstream » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:04 pm

for the peeps with judicial interviews- only take them if you would accept the job if offered on the spot.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm

rad law wrote:
keg411 wrote:

If firm doesn't work out (and it probably won't), I'm hoping for USAO.

Pretty much the same here. I'd probably take RA with my prof over DA because she's awesome and incredibly well connected. I highly doubt I'm going to get the firm or the USAO though, my grades were good but not layup into LR next year good.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:18 pm

finally started cover letters---I wrote the ones targeted for fashion designers looking for interns for their in-house legal dept---those seem to be easier to write than the general firm letters, maybe because I am ACTUALLY interested in it. applying to 3 in-house positions so far..I just turned one application in and am waiting for my career counselor to review my other cover letters. oh my gosh...this is so much work, I had no idea. It took me an hour just to TWEAK one of my letters to target it towards the company.

have no started on firm letters yet.

I am a little curious which is better though...if I get called for the 2nd interview for the judicial internship, I think at that point I need to be well settled on the fact that if I get it, thats where I'll be this summer. It actually sounds really exciting and I would love to do it--one of the interns said she got to write an opinion for the judge last year. super awesome. I feel like I want to do what will open up the most doors for the future. Working at a fashion house would be interesting since thats my background, but there is no chance of employment offers from there any time soon. At least with the judge, it can open doors to clerkships later on down the line. I am thinking judge > everything else this summer. thoughts?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 pm

So today I've come across two internships asking for LORs. First of all, I'm not even sure if I can even get any LORs from my profs because I have no grades yet and don't really know any of them that well. Secondly, it just doesn't seem worth it to go out and get a specific LOR for a job I probably won't get anyway. Are people actually applying to these jobs?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:14 pm

goodolgil wrote:So today I've come across two internships asking for LORs. First of all, I'm not even sure if I can even get any LORs from my profs because I have no grades yet and don't really know any of them that well. Secondly, it just doesn't seem worth it to go out and get a specific LOR for a job I probably won't get anyway. Are people actually applying to these jobs?

Did it say from law school professors? In all my applications I included a reference list (without any LS professors) with numbers, e-mails, and so forth. I know for certain they contacted them. I don't know what yours was, but it may be LORs from others.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Unitas wrote:
goodolgil wrote:So today I've come across two internships asking for LORs. First of all, I'm not even sure if I can even get any LORs from my profs because I have no grades yet and don't really know any of them that well. Secondly, it just doesn't seem worth it to go out and get a specific LOR for a job I probably won't get anyway. Are people actually applying to these jobs?

Did it say from law school professors? In all my applications I included a reference list (without any LS professors) with numbers, e-mails, and so forth. I know for certain they contacted them. I don't know what yours was, but it may be LORs from others.

They said something like "preferably from a law professor or an employer." But this wasn't a request for references; it was a direct request for a (apparently) a specific, targeted LOR. Seems like a lot to ask for just the right to apply to an unpaid internship. Buyer's market, I guess.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I have interviews for 2 jobs that I'm not going to get through Spring OCI and a PI Job Fair. Woo!

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 am

xokel87 wrote:
solotee wrote:
traehekat wrote:

14 firms for 1L OCI

6 resume collects

keep in mind they're interviewing other students at other schools. I would just focus on selling yourself ad best you can, bt I wouldn't count on getting an offer.

btw, I got an interview with a big firm which says they don't hire 1L's...wtf?

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 am

xokel87 wrote:
solotee wrote:
traehekat wrote:

14 firms for 1L OCI

6 resume collects

GW and Georgetown do a combined 1L OCI focused on public interest and government (no firms). We had 72 interview employers, 85 resume collects, no firms at 1L OCI.

Unsure the likelihood of getting a job from it. It looked like most employers took 8-12 interview slots, so if they're only looking to hire one person from the event, not so hot. Plus it's not restricted to 1Ls. We'll see what happens. It seems like a lot of people didn't apply broadly enough (only 2 or 3 applications for prestigious stuff they really wanted), and then got shut out on interviews. I don't know anyone who's heard back from the resume collect employers, and those were due about a week and a half ago.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Ugh, printing out another set of 15 resumes/CLs/writing samples/transcript copies.

I feel discouraged, like this is a lot of work for nothing. But I guess I just have to realize the more you send out, the better your chances. Just seems crazy you have to send out upwards of 50-75 applications to find anything.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

savagecheater wrote:Do state supreme courts generally allow 1L's to volunteer as extern? I sent apps out but haven't heard anything....

I know a couple '10 grads who did 1L externships in FL

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm

solotee wrote:btw, I got an interview with a big firm which says they don't hire 1L's...wtf?

I got one of those. It was a pre 2L OCI interview. I got it through a connection.

Return to “Legal Employment”