1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theantiscalia

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:43 pm

dk8 wrote:are you all cold mailing these firms or did you find them through connections, symplicity, other research etc.

I just pulled up a list of the largest law firms in my city. (The business journal usually publishes a list or a "Book of Lists.") Then I went to each firm's individual website and found contact information for the recruiting coordinator / hiring partner. Then I sent them an email. Only one firm didn't have the info on their site; I found the recruiting coordinator's name on simplicity and then googled her email address. (Stalkerish, I know. But the job market sucks.)

I did apply for a few firms on Symplicity, but there weren't many on there I was interested in.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 pm

I have applied to about 60+ firms. All in home +secondary markets where I have connections.
About to apply to a lot more. woohooo. My hands are going to fall off from typing so much.

Any of you going to email alums? That is next on my list after I get done with everything.

Then it's govt/pi after that. Hopefully I'll get something by the end of the break.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Already applied to 100 federal judicial internships on Dec. 1 (which cut a serious chunk of time out of studying for finals). Just finished making up my cover letters for the state judges I'm applying to. Also going to send out some apps to local firms for the hell of it, even though I know that pretty much none hire 1L's. Crossing fingers that my grades come back strong enough to turn some heads.

plum

Postby plum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Last edited by plum on Thu May 26, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plum

Postby plum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Last edited by plum on Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm

plum wrote:
dakatz wrote:Already applied to 100 federal judicial internships on Dec. 1 (which cut a serious chunk of time out of studying for finals).

wow that sucks. do you think it was worth it?

I'm probably exaggerating a bit as to how long it took. One long night of making up the materials, then one day of buying envelopes and labels, doing all the printing, stuffing the envelopes, and sending them all out. It was during the final week of class, and I had a perfect storm of my memo being due, finishing up outlines, beginning to study for finals, etc. So having to get these apps in was a pain, but I made sure to do it quickly. I don't think it really affected my finals prep. Never did have a chance to outline that final week of classes, but I don't think it mattered.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:57 pm

theantiscalia wrote:Then I went to each firm's individual website and found contact information for the recruiting coordinator / hiring partner. Then I sent them an email.

Did you first e-mail to ask if they were even hiring 1L's? Or did you just send the whole resume/sample package from the get go?

Also, to what extent is everyone personalizing/targeting each cover letter?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:Then I went to each firm's individual website and found contact information for the recruiting coordinator / hiring partner. Then I sent them an email.

Did you first e-mail to ask if they were even hiring 1L's? Or did you just send the whole resume/sample package from the get go?

The NALP website has a search feature that allows you to isolate the NALP firms that specifically say that they indeed do hire 1L's. Its pretty convenient to know, though I'm sure there are a number of firms who are undecided on this matter, or who put a no just to be safe, but would still consider your app if your grades are particularly good.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah, the NALP feature is helpful indeed, although less than 10 firms in my area are listed, and several of them prioritize hiring folks with tech backgrounds (which I don't have). I'm curious to what extent it would be a good use of my time to cold e-mail unlisted firms.

I'm also going to give small and medium-sized firms a shot.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, the NALP feature is helpful indeed, although less than 10 firms in my area are listed, and several of them prioritize hiring folks with tech backgrounds (which I don't have). I'm curious to what extent it would be a good use of my time to cold e-mail unlisted firms.

One two of the fifteen said they hired 1Ls on the NALP website. I got interviews at those two, so certainly look there. But there were quite a few big firms that weren't on the NALP website, and I got interviews at a couple of those... which is why I liked the book of lists.

How does one go about applying to a judge? Is there a massive database somewhere with their contact information, or do you just look it up judge by judge?

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I personalized each cover letter, albeit minimally. I had a line saying I was interested in their (insert name of development or training program for summer hires here) or (insert name of big practice area I'm interested in here). If I was familiar with their work from my prior career (I was a CPA), I put that in the cover too.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, the NALP feature is helpful indeed, although less than 10 firms in my area are listed, and several of them prioritize hiring folks with tech backgrounds (which I don't have). I'm curious to what extent it would be a good use of my time to cold e-mail unlisted firms.

One two of the fifteen said they hired 1Ls on the NALP website. I got interviews at those two, so certainly look there. But there were quite a few big firms that weren't on the NALP website, and I got interviews at a couple of those... which is why I liked the book of lists.

How does one go about applying to a judge? Is there a massive database somewhere with their contact information, or do you just look it up judge by judge?

I found a list of all federal judges on Symplicity. You can also go to Judgepedia.com which is incredibly helpful for getting all the names.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Cover letter DEATH. I hate writing them so unbelievably much. Ugh.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:14 pm

I can't decide which I hate more, writing cover letters for judges, or re-editing my closed memo. Done with this shit tomorrow. Oh wait, then I have every other job under the sun to apply to.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:00 pm

just finished my statement of interest.

I am goign to write a draft cover letter tonight possibly..so behind.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

My school gave us pretty Excel sheets. And it's all mail merge ready too.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:20 pm

i've sent out 1 app in the last 48 hours. my goal was 10 a day. i suck.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:57 am

my "when a firm says they dont take 1Ls on NALP, they are just talking about other 1Ls and will take me" mindset has failed me

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:09 am

IAFG wrote:i've sent out 1 app in the last 48 hours. my goal was 10 a day. i suck.

I sent out 1 today!!!

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:56 am

how many firms are y'all planning to apply too?

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I've been too busy enjoying break to do this job search thing.

I applied to 0 places so far. Cover letter and resume are done though. I intend to make a list of all the places I apply to, and have a checklist of their responses (if any). My deadline is to get all these apps out by Jan. 7th.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Bought resume paper and envelopes today. Resume and cover letter are done. Now just to actually send out the apps :lol:.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Apathy

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Apathy

Encouragement!

adrib

Postby adrib » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:42 pm

ack, i feel good and guilty now. i sorta gave up before i started--i figure no one will hire me, so why bother? i should just apply at McD's instead. I did send my resume and 3 different cover letters to CSO and got the editz. Now I need to send them out, i guess...

Return to “Legal Employment”