1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uci2013

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby uci2013 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Geist13 wrote:ugh. So far 12/16 responses from judges are: "I am not taking interns this summer." Anyone else getting similar responses from judges?

My most common response so far. I think with budget cuts, while we are free labor, they have fewer paid clerks and support staff to supervise us and just can't take us on. This makes me sad.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Geist13 wrote:ugh. So far 12/16 responses from judges are: "I am not taking interns this summer." Anyone else getting similar responses from judges?

I would say its split for me. I have quite a few confirmations that they received my applications. A few specifically requested grades. A solid chunk said they are not hiring interns though. I just sent out an update to everyone who hasn't specifically rejected me yet. Hopefully that will get me some calls. I feel like the majority of them wait for grades anyway.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

dakatz wrote:

I would say its split for me. I have quite a few confirmations that they received my applications. A few specifically requested grades. A solid chunk said they are not hiring interns though. I just sent out an update to everyone who hasn't specifically rejected me yet. Hopefully that will get me some calls. I feel like the majority of them wait for grades anyway.

Yeah I will be doing the same when my grades come out (or possibly doing everything I can to make sure no employer ever sees my grades). I'm hoping that the the 50 or so that haven't responded are silent because they are doing their hiring a little bit later. The few non-rejections have noted that they look at applications in late Feb/March.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Geist13 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Yeah I will be doing the same when my grades come out (or possibly doing everything I can to make sure no employer ever sees my grades). I'm hoping that the the 50 or so that haven't responded are silent because they are doing their hiring a little bit later. The few non-rejections have noted that they look at applications in late Feb/March.

That timeframe works for me because the majority of judges I applied to are in my home state. It would be very hard to get back home for an interview during school. Our spring break is mid-March, so I'm hoping to fill that week up with interviews.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 pm

I am working on getting some apps out to prosecutor's offices right now and I'm struggling with the cover letter. Anybody got a sample cover letter they'd be willing to share?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 pm

FWIW, I'm seeing results from state trial judges without my grades.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Sent out apps to 24 federal district court judges today w/ grades

13 to federal appeals courts

sending out 18 to state app court friday

I feel productive!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

keg411 wrote:FWIW, I'm seeing results from state trial judges without my grades.

My concern with this is... what would you even do for a state trial judge? I observed with a judge for credit in undergrad and I don't feel like there would be that much for an intern to do besides sit and watch.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 pm

keg411 wrote:FWIW, I'm seeing results from state trial judges without my grades.

Same (though the state callbacks have all been appellate). Got a call from a state Supreme Court judge without grades. Its sort of nice being from a state that no outsiders bother applying to because its so insular (unlike, for example, NY)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 pm

Kinda relieving to hear people are still just starting to apply to judges/firms/PIs. I feel like less of a failure for not doing much of anything yet.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Quick question: I am trying to say that I have a lot of interest in prosecution, and that I want to stay in or around the city I am currently in after graduation. I am trying to say something like, "Me wanting to work in prosecution + me wanting to stay in this city = maybe me considering working for you long term," but I don't want to sound presumptuous or insincere (I mean, this is just a 1L gig after all). But I do want them to know I'm actually interested in their office and in their location long term, since it may help a little in my app.

Anybody got a good way to word this so I don't sound like a DB?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:

My concern with this is... what would you even do for a state trial judge? I observed with a judge for credit in undergrad and I don't feel like there would be that much for an intern to do besides sit and watch.

Writing memos on motions and trial briefs. Also many motions are decided "on the papers" and there isn't oral argument or anything like that. I've actually heard trial level courts make for far better/more interesting and useful internships than appellate court internships (whether state or district courts). I

dakatz, I should probably try for State Supreme too; though it may be on the late side.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 pm

keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Writing memos on motions and trial briefs. Also many motions are decided "on the papers" and there isn't oral argument or anything like that. I've actually heard trial level courts make for far better/more interesting and useful internships than appellate court internships (whether state or district courts). I

dakatz, I should probably try for State Supreme too; though it may be on the late side.

I definitely think you still have time. Most people are just getting their grades in, and I'd assume that nearly all judges wait until grades are out before doing hiring. If you get an app out sometime soon, you should have no problem.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 am

Anyone have any idea on how to preface grade submissions for firms to which I already applied? Also, is it worth it this late, or just try for the elusive Spring OCI job? (Still don't have all grades but will in a couple of days.)

Also, should I wait on Lawyering (Pass/Fail) before sending out transcripts, or not?

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 am

romothesavior wrote:Quick question: I am trying to say that I have a lot of interest in prosecution, and that I want to stay in or around the city I am currently in after graduation. I am trying to say something like, "Me wanting to work in prosecution + me wanting to stay in this city = maybe me considering working for you long term," but I don't want to sound presumptuous or insincere (I mean, this is just a 1L gig after all). But I do want them to know I'm actually interested in their office and in their location long term, since it may help a little in my app.

This is what I did and I've gotten some positive feedback so I think it's okay.. I stuck this at the end of my intro paragraph after explaining who I am.

Having grown up in (city/area), I am committed to returning and serving the community as a prosecutor. I believe that working for (X agency) would be a significant step towards this goal.

HTH

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 am

romothesavior wrote:Quick question: I am trying to say that I have a lot of interest in prosecution, and that I want to stay in or around the city I am currently in after graduation. I am trying to say something like, "Me wanting to work in prosecution + me wanting to stay in this city = maybe me considering working for you long term," but I don't want to sound presumptuous or insincere (I mean, this is just a 1L gig after all). But I do want them to know I'm actually interested in their office and in their location long term, since it may help a little in my app.

I'm sure every school has something like this floating around, but LLS provides this example of a 1L prosecution cover letter. Seems like a decent, basic format for getting the whole "I want to work in prosecution" thing across: --LinkRemoved--

Obviously the point is to change it up, personalize, etc. But it gives you an idea of what type of things to say. As for wanting to potentially stay in the city, not sure how you would word it; maybe you could write a sentence or two (cheesy as it is) about how you want to give back to / serve the city you love, etc. Maybe dig into something public service-y in your past that inspired you to want to do government work.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 am

For those who have applied to judges, or are looking to do so, how are you going about where to target? Seems like the options are fairly limited if you are looking at Article III judges and you don't want to have to find a new place to live (pretty hard to afford two rents, imo). So basically I am looking either in my school's home market or my hometown market. This limits me to about two U.S. District Courts and roughly 20 judges. Not exactly loving my odds, either.

I feel like if I want to give myself a legitimate shot at an externship I need to reach out to state trial and appellate courts. Is this what you guys who are sending stuff out to a ton of judges are doing? Any rhyme or reason to how you are attacking that? Just send out stuff to every judge in every possible district you can reasonably travel to? Going after State Supreme, Appellate, and Circuit Courts with equal force?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:26 am

traehekat wrote:For those who have applied to judges, or are looking to do so, how are you going about where to target? Seems like the options are fairly limited if you are looking at Article III judges and you don't want to have to find a new place to live (pretty hard to afford two rents, imo). So basically I am looking either in my school's home market or my hometown market. This limits me to about two U.S. District Courts and roughly 20 judges. Not exactly loving my odds, either.

I feel like if I want to give myself a legitimate shot at an externship I need to reach out to state trial and appellate courts. Is this what you guys who are sending stuff out to a ton of judges are doing? Any rhyme or reason to how you are attacking that? Just send out stuff to every judge in every possible district you can reasonably travel to? Going after State Supreme, Appellate, and Circuit Courts with equal force?

You summarized it fairly accurately, I nailed 13 District judges in my schools market, 12 in my home market. 6 Federal Appeals Court Judges in Each, 3 State Supremes, and 16 State Appeal judges.

I only need one to say yes :D

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:36 am

traehekat wrote:For those who have applied to judges, or are looking to do so, how are you going about where to target? Seems like the options are fairly limited if you are looking at Article III judges and you don't want to have to find a new place to live (pretty hard to afford two rents, imo). So basically I am looking either in my school's home market or my hometown market. This limits me to about two U.S. District Courts and roughly 20 judges. Not exactly loving my odds, either.

Are you looking at federal magistrate judges and federal bankruptcy judges as well? You could even try considering senior judges, but I would ask your cso which ones they recommend as busy enough to have an intern. I applied to 3 different cities and applied to a mix of fed. District/magistrate/bankruptcy and state supreme. I was able to get a list of around 50-60 judges and ended up only sending applications to around 35.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 am

I limited myself to my home state and my school's state. From there I just looked up every COA judge, District court judge and state judge whose chambers were w/i an hour of where I live/my parents live. This left me with a total of 2 COA judges and 14 district court judges (including magistrate). The rest were all state judges. I applied to a total of 65 or so, so the vast majority were at the state level.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 am

Send stuff to state judges too. Don't limit yourself to Article III.

How I attacked the state judges: I only applied to trial judges; not Appellate or State Supreme in my state. What I did was I went over the list with a family member who is an attorney and this person suggested which judges I apply to (it was over 50). If you don't have this, you can use the advice OCS gave me, which was "apply to three counties" in the state; or you can also apply to a certain judge-type depending on what you want to do (ie. all criminal judges, etc.).

I'm really surprised more schools don't supply judge information.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:48 pm

How's a federal internship with a magistrate judge?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Another question - if you applied to a ton of judges in one district court, whether federal or state, did you basically have the same cover letter for all of them and just changed the name of the judge/contact info out?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm

traehekat wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. Another question - if you applied to a ton of judges in one district court, whether federal or state, did you basically have the same cover letter for all of them and just changed the name of the judge/contact info out?

I did. I think it's pretty weird / nontraditional to discuss the particular judge in the body of the letter, but I could be wrong. The example cover letters I read were very formal and minimal, even compared to firm letters.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Bronte wrote:
traehekat wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. Another question - if you applied to a ton of judges in one district court, whether federal or state, did you basically have the same cover letter for all of them and just changed the name of the judge/contact info out?

I did. I think it's pretty weird / nontraditional to discuss the particular judge in the body of the letter, but I could be wrong. The example cover letters I read were very formal and minimal, even compared to firm letters.

+1

If it's a bankruptcy judge or state criminal court, maybe switch the cover letter around a little to show your level of interest, but my content for all federal district judges was the same.

Return to “Legal Employment”