1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stanford4Me

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
keg411 wrote:BTW, they sent out the first "2L job search" e-mail today at my school.
/terrified

We just got one of these too. Eep!

We had a mandatory seminar about EIW last week.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Tomorrow we have a meeting and then a reception with some of the Fall OCI employers. Crossing my fingers that the 18 listed who will be there are just some and not all of the employers...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm

The saga continues. I got an interview for a part time job at a small firm. So, if I did do the government relations job, I could theoretically still get legal experience and make some money. But obviously thats in no way guaranteed. I can't even handle this decision making process.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Just received an email from a Fed PD office (that I would have loved to work at) to assist on a "massive criminal case" in the summer. (so I guess some of their interns reneged).

damnit, I wish they would have let me know a month ago... oh well, can't be greedy I guess...maybe next year
Last edited by Borhas on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Also, congrats to everyone who got jerbs :) (goosey and snowpeach).

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Borhas wrote:Just received an email from a Fed PD office (that I would have loved to work at) to assist on a "massive criminal case" in the summer. (so I guess some of their interns reneged).

damnit, I wish they would have let me know a month ago... oh well, can't be greedy I guess...maybe next year

Exact same thing happened to me a week ago with the Fed PD here. The fact that it was Fed and not state made me that much sweeter, but I accepted my offer a month ago.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 pm

goosey wrote:I got an offer today!!!!

Congrats!
keg411 wrote:Also, congrats to everyone who got jerbs :) (goosey and snowpeach).

Thanks!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:57 pm

goosey wrote:accepted the fed agency...got another offer from an organization that i really liked for personal reasons and asked them if I can do part-time outreach on a volunteer basis. they said yes...so will work out details with them. Excited about the summer :D

yay. so happy to be done with the process.

good luck to all still waiting. and thanks to everyone else!!

way to go, that's awesome

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Congrats goosey!

It seems like a lot of people are having no luck, and then all of a sudden the floodgates open. I hope everyone who is still searching will land something soon.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Rejected from one job that would have made my decision easy. Of course. I'm probably going to go with the gov job.

Is it dumb though, that I'm kind of sad. Like, in my gut I thought not only would i get a job, but, I'd get one that I really wanted. Instead I turned in 70+ applications, had 10+ interviews and in the end had to settle for a job that i'm not at all excited about, and is unpaid.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Rejected from one job that would have made my decision easy. Of course. I'm probably going to go with the gov job.

Is it dumb though, that I'm kind of sad. Like, in my gut I thought not only would i get a job, but, I'd get one that I really wanted. Instead I turned in 70+ applications, had 10+ interviews and in the end had to settle for a job that i'm not at all excited about, and is unpaid.
BOOOHOOO I have a job

;)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Rejected from one job that would have made my decision easy. Of course. I'm probably going to go with the gov job.

BOOOHOOO I have a job

;)

Check your PMs.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:48 pm

rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

BOOOHOOO I have a job

;)

Check your PMs.

Nothing. Thats odd.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

BOOOHOOO I have a job

;)

Check your PMs.

Nothing. Thats odd.

I owe you one too. Working on it now.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm

rad law wrote:I owe you one too. Working on it now.

Got it. I think I agree with you. On the bright side of not getting any of the jobs that I really wanted... at least I can stay where my school is. I have my apartment, and all my friends will be here. So, life shouldn't completely suck. And hopefully I'll have some luck with OCI next year.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm

FINALLY, my job search is done.
Interning with a state judge in primary market for first half of summer, clerking for Art III judge in secondary market for second half of summer.

Finals, I'm about to kick your a**

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:FINALLY, my job search is done.
Interning with a state judge in primary market for first half of summer, clerking for Art III judge in secondary market for second half of summer.

Coolgrnmen, well done.

However, I have to ask. On your TLS profile, did you interpret a rejection letter from Berkeley which said "feel free to apply for transfer next year" as an "option for transfer"?

Just wonderinnn

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Total Litigator wrote:

Coolgrnmen, well done.

However, I have to ask. On your TLS profile, did you interpret a rejection letter from Berkeley which said "feel free to apply for transfer next year" as an "option for transfer"?

Just wonderinnn

lol

It was hard times and I was being very optimistic with my rejection letters!

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:

Coolgrnmen, well done.

Just wonderinnn

lol

It was hard times and I was being very optimistic with my rejection letters!

well then all is forgiven, as I can definitely relate lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 pm

What percentage of 1L's do you think are getting paid gigs for the summer? Also, is it even relevant? I mean, do any firms that will interview 2L OCI and beyond care if your work was paid or not? I guess I don't see why they would care, but law firms are strange when it comes to hiring.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What percentage of 1L's do you think are getting paid gigs for the summer? Also, is it even relevant? I mean, do any firms that will interview 2L OCI and beyond care if your work was paid or not? I guess I don't see why they would care, but law firms are strange when it comes to hiring.

8-9% at NYU. No, they don't care.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What percentage of 1L's do you think are getting paid gigs for the summer? Also, is it even relevant? I mean, do any firms that will interview 2L OCI and beyond care if your work was paid or not? I guess I don't see why they would care, but law firms are strange when it comes to hiring.

Wow that seems very low for NYU, no?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Wow that seems very low for NYU, no?

When you consider that the majority of students who get 1L gigs either get it through some minority fellowship, a scholarship program, or because they're going to a smaller market (Dallas, Houston, ATL, etc.), not really. NYC/DC firms a) barely hire 1Ls as it is, and b) can choose from the cream of the crop because the vast majority of T10 students want to work in NYC/DC so that further exacerbates the issue.

I should probably clarify that 8-9% of NYU 1Ls work with firms. There are other students getting paid (not by the school) to do other work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Wow, that does seem low. I read your later posts too, but just to clarify: you mean that only 8-9% of NYU students are working a job that is 1) paid and 2) related to the law in any way?

Or do you mean 8-9% have summer associate positions with biglaw? Also, where are you getting the numbers? That seems kind of...specific...to just be an estimate. :)

Thanks for the info.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Simply paid gigs? At WUSTL, maybe 10-15%. Maybe as high as 20%. I'd say half of those are like $10 an hour, small firm types of gigs. A small handful are also pretty well paid in-house jobs.

But I'm guessing you're asking about NLJ-type gigs, the coveted 1L SA. I'd say at WUSTL the number is around 5%. I can think of 4 people off the top of my head who are spending a summer or half of their summer with an NLJ firm. I could be estimating a bit high though, I really have no idea. It is really a crapshoot. Unless you are a minority, your odds are slim to none, even with good grades.

And no, they don't care if you are paid or not. They know that most students, even the very brightest with the best grades, are going to be unpaid this summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”