1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm

mths wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Also, as a random rant. This one girl, dumb, bitchy, just got a job with the Attorney General. I don't even get it. I know my grades are better than hers. I'm fairly sure shes at or below median. I figured AG's cared a lot about grades. Also, she has no connections to the area. Just moved here for law school. I have a ton of connections to the state. I mean, seriously.

hiring seems arbitrary to a point

but maybe she rocked the interview?

My friend goes: she got the job cuse shes' hot. I tried to tell him that employers don't know what you look like when they grant you an interview. While its possible that she did rock the interview, I'm not sure how she got it in the first place.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
mths wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Also, as a random rant. This one girl, dumb, bitchy, just got a job with the Attorney General. I don't even get it. I know my grades are better than hers. I'm fairly sure shes at or below median. I figured AG's cared a lot about grades. Also, she has no connections to the area. Just moved here for law school. I have a ton of connections to the state. I mean, seriously.

My friend goes: she got the job cuse shes' hot. I tried to tell him that employers don't know what you look like when they grant you an interview. While its possible that she did rock the interview, I'm not sure how she got it in the first place.

headshot resume?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

mths wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
mths wrote:

headshot resume?

Does anyone even do that?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Does anyone even do that?

I was kidding :lol:

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm

mths wrote:

hiring is completely arbitrary

ftfy

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Psh, if you ain't including a headshot you're slacking.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 am

YourCaptain wrote:
mths wrote:

ftfy

it seriously feels so random.....i can't wait until i'm on the other side so i can see how hiring works.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am

Opinions please... So, I really am concerned that the offer I got won't have enough legal work. I think I'd enjoy it. But, I don't think it requires searching westlaw, writing motions, ect. I feel like its stuff I could have done in undergrad. I'm still waiting to hear from 1. 2 trial courts (location that I don't much want to be in) 2. the EEOC. I'm not all that interested in the work, but you do actually do legal work. Write motions, ect. Should I bug one of these places and take it, even though both have their downfalls, go with the job I have, even though I feel like it will put me at a disadvantage for OCI next year, or keep searching. I have an interview Wens, and I put in a few applications to small law firms.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 am

najumobi wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
mths wrote:

ftfy

it seriously feels so random.....i can't wait until i'm on the other side so i can see how hiring works.

With an AG, a good writing sample of a motion can get you the interview with sub-par grades

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Opinions please... So, I really am concerned that the offer I got won't have enough legal work. I think I'd enjoy it. But, I don't think it requires searching westlaw, writing motions, ect. I feel like its stuff I could have done in undergrad. I'm still waiting to hear from 1. 2 trial courts (location that I don't much want to be in) 2. the EEOC. I'm not all that interested in the work, but you do actually do legal work. Write motions, ect. Should I bug one of these places and take it, even though both have their downfalls, go with the job I have, even though I feel like it will put me at a disadvantage for OCI next year, or keep searching. I have an interview Wens, and I put in a few applications to small law firms.

no legal work at the place that offered you a job? i don't think that's good. all i keep hearing is that employers don't care what you do 1L summer as long as it is legal. but definitely don't reject the job offer...try to get them to give you enough time to decide in order to at least hear back from the trial courts and/or EEOC.

obviously it would have been better for the trial courts to be in the region/city you have a preference to work in after graduation, but i think it being legal work will suffice for 1L.

other than that you're probably doing good by staying in the hunt...good luck.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am

I am actually interested in @snowpeach's question as well. I received a job through spring OCI at my school but at the interview they kept pushing that this isn't your typical job and that you work with a group, won't be constantly research Westlaw, etc. I assume though that if it's through OCI...it must be some kind of legal job right? it's in government contracts and I am not familiar with this field so maybe he was just actually describing the field. I mean...do we all have to do a judicial internship type job with drafting memos to speak about the "legal" experience at OCI?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Opinions please... So, I really am concerned that the offer I got won't have enough legal work. I think I'd enjoy it. But, I don't think it requires searching westlaw, writing motions, ect. I feel like its stuff I could have done in undergrad. I'm still waiting to hear from 1. 2 trial courts (location that I don't much want to be in) 2. the EEOC. I'm not all that interested in the work, but you do actually do legal work. Write motions, ect. Should I bug one of these places and take it, even though both have their downfalls, go with the job I have, even though I feel like it will put me at a disadvantage for OCI next year, or keep searching. I have an interview Wens, and I put in a few applications to small law firms.

What is the offer? PM me if you want.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 am

Also, if I want to ask the other places if they've made a decision yet. But, don't want to commit to them If i get a job. How do I phrase that? I was thinking "I was wondering if you've made a decision yet. I've recently received another offer, and have to decide by Thursday. ...." And then I don't know how to end it. I don't want to sound like "I just want to know all my options,"- although I do. And i dont want to commit to them.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 am

I got an offer today!!!!

Finalllyyyy omg I feel a million bricks lifted off of me!!

But the judge from yesterday seems a sure thing and I am wondering what to do. The judge is at a county court--he said there is really not much writing involved. The experience itself doesn't feel that great as far as writing/research is concerned but he is an alum of my school and one of those alums that is all about helping students from that school. There are definitely more network-building opportunities with the judge. But this (fed agency) internship provides a lot more research/writing opportunity.

Also, I am getting married and moving in late June. The fed agency is literally next door to where I'm moving, while the judge is literally next door to where I live now. There is a 40 min drive in between the two. Either way I will be driving 40 min away for half the summer.

The judge told me that I am ideal for him but that even if I don't get the spot with him hell set me up with another judge in the building because he wants to fill the building with students from my school.

I guess a major question is wht looks better on a resume.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:09 am

Goosey!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! That's fantastic.
I have no idea which of these would look better on a resume (will watch - I'm interested in the answer) but it sounds like you'll have a great summer, either way. :mrgreen:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 am

goosey wrote:I got an offer today!!!!

But the judge from yesterday seems a sure thing and I am wondering what to do. The judge is at a county court--he said there is really not much writing involved. The experience itself doesn't feel that great as far as writing/research is concerned but he is an alum of my school and one of those alums that is all about helping students from that school. There are definitely more network-building opportunities with the judge. But this (fed agency) internship provides a lot more research/writing opportunity.

Also, I am getting married and moving in late June. The fed agency is literally next door to where I'm moving, while the judge is literally next door to where I live now. There is a 40 min drive in between the two. Either way I will be driving 40 min away for half the summer.

The judge told me that I am ideal for him but that even if I don't get the spot with him hell set me up with another judge in the building because he wants to fill the building with students from my school.

Congrats! Finally!!!

I would ask the judge specifically what work he would have you do. If there is a lot of legal work then I would take the judge. I only say this because I have a friend who got a judge last year and the judge literally didnt let him do anything except just attend court. No motions, no memos, nothing. Basically no legal experience.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

I would take the agency. Sounds like more "sure thing" legal work and you were already offered the position.

BTW, they sent out the first "2L job search" e-mail today at my school.
/terrified

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
goosey wrote:I got an offer today!!!!

Congrats! Finally!!!

I would ask the judge specifically what work he would have you do. If there is a lot of legal work then I would take the judge. I only say this because I have a friend who got a judge last year and the judge literally didnt let him do anything except just attend court. No motions, no memos, nothing. Basically no legal experience.

thanks everyone!!!

well the work at the judge's chambers is no mystery..there will be very little research and writing and he said I can ask teh ct atty for writing if he has a particularly heavy load. The ct deals mostly with DUI's and stuff. Whereas the agency is really interesting and would provide a lot of substantive experience--its really heavy in research and writing. The only thing that makes me want to hold out is uncertainty over how the agency would look on my resume [large regulative agency] vs a county judge and also the fact that the judge is someone I would want to develop a relationship with
Last edited by goosey on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Goosey, I had a feeling something would come through. Congrats.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm

So, as an update, still need help. I e-mailed the EEOC, and they said "unofficially, we're planning to hire you." So, this is undoubtedly a better legal experience. But, I still think I'd enjoy the other job more and it would give me more flexibility - to possibly take an RA spot, or part time job. Also, for the government relations job, I'd be eligible for two public interest scholarships, as opposed to only one for the EEOC. Theoretically, that doubles my chance at getting funding. Ugh, I just don't know what to do. I wish I'd be lucky, and just get the one job I really want. But, I know I should be happy to have anything at this point.

Also, scheduling is a nightmare.
Last edited by snowpeach06 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm

First final is in 19 days. Still no jerb offer. I'm losing my mind.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:53 pm

keg411 wrote:BTW, they sent out the first "2L job search" e-mail today at my school.
/terrified

We just got one of these too. Eep!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Psh, if you ain't including a headshot you're slacking.

or smart and ugly

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm

accepted the fed agency...got another offer from an organization that i really liked for personal reasons and asked them if I can do part-time outreach on a volunteer basis. they said yes...so will work out details with them. Excited about the summer :D

yay. so happy to be done with the process.

good luck to all still waiting. and thanks to everyone else!!

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:56 pm

goosey wrote:accepted the fed agency...got another offer from an organization that i really liked for personal reasons and asked them if I can do part-time outreach on a volunteer basis. they said yes...so will work out details with them. Excited about the summer :D

yay. so happy to be done with the process.

good luck to all still waiting. and thanks to everyone else!!

Congrats! That sounds great :)

Return to “Legal Employment”