1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YourCaptain

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 am

mths wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and asked my top choice job what was up. Unfortunately I did it through e-mail, and now I have a near heart attack every time I see the little (1). I probably should have just called.

That (1) has brought me so much misery

The little red LED on my blackberry was both my salvation and my own personal hell for a solid month.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:52 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
mths wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and asked my top choice job what was up. Unfortunately I did it through e-mail, and now I have a near heart attack every time I see the little (1). I probably should have just called.

That (1) has brought me so much misery

The little red LED on my blackberry was both my salvation and my own personal hell for a solid month.

Yup. And the place still hasn't gotten back to me so the (1), or being forced to go more than 20 minutes without checking my e-mail, continues to be torture. Its almost as bad as it was when I was waiting to hear from law schools.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
I noticed this after I posted but was being dominated in Con Law so didn't edit.

and yeah you are right. but I think that all three will be substantial, so I guess it probably will not matter that much which option I go with as long as I can talk about it.

just offered to interview for an RA position. Tis paid but is, in theory, full time and so I think I'll pass in favor of the DA position. Might see if I can work weekends lol..how long is a 90 hour work week sustainable?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
I noticed this after I posted but was being dominated in Con Law so didn't edit.

and yeah you are right. but I think that all three will be substantial, so I guess it probably will not matter that much which option I go with as long as I can talk about it.

just offered to interview for an RA position. Tis paid but is, in theory, full time and so I think I'll pass in favor of the DA position. Might see if I can work weekends lol..how long is a 90 hour work week sustainable?
~5 years or until you're pushed out, if accounts from current associates are to be believed

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm

stratocophic wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

~5 years or until you're pushed out, if accounts from current associates are to be believed

so what you're telling me is that I should try to work both jobs?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

so what you're telling me is that I should try to work both jobs?
More just getting excited about ENJOYING DLA Piper the hours that come hand in hand with the type of legal employment I will surely secure, what with coming from a preftigious top 20 law school and all.

I dunno, maybe if you need the money or are super interested in the topic. Evidently being an RA isn't exactly a magic bullet for OCI, so I don't think there's any need to do it if you'd rather enjoy the summer

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:More just getting excited about ENJOYING DLA Piper the hours that come hand in hand with the type of legal employment I will surely secure, what with coming from a preftigious top 20 law school and all.

I dunno, maybe if you need the money or are super interested in the topic. Evidently being an RA isn't exactly a magic bullet for OCI, so I don't think there's any need to do it if you'd rather enjoy the summer

...says the tiger to the rabbit. It's always better to do something law related than nothing. I haven't heard anything to the contrary from employers.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
stratocophic wrote:More just getting excited about ENJOYING DLA Piper the hours that come hand in hand with the type of legal employment I will surely secure, what with coming from a preftigious top 20 law school and all.

...says the tiger to the rabbit*. It's always better to do something law related than nothing. I haven't heard anything to the contrary from employers.
He'll be working at the DA's office. Most of the discussion I've seen re: RAs implies that the positions might not, or even usually do not, have a lot of the kind of substantive work employers are looking for.

*Very, very doubtful we'll be competing for the same jobs this fall

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 pm

j
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

mistergoft wrote:Being an RA, for all intents and purposes, is indistinguishable to working for the DA in terms of how it is going to influence your OCI performance. Do something that is going to give you good fodder for conversation during interviews (of course, you want to talk about how the work improved you and makes you marketable, rather than just rambling on about some project...*). Although, if you're looking into clerking, being an RA is probably more valuable than working for the DA.

*a lesson I learned a bit too late

The bolded is the most important aspect of it, according to the hiring partners I've spoken to. They all had very negative views of RA positions.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Being an RA, for all intents and purposes, is indistinguishable to working for the DA in terms of how it is going to influence your OCI performance. Do something that is going to give you good fodder for conversation during interviews (of course, you want to talk about how the work improved you and makes you marketable, rather than just rambling on about some project...*). Although, if you're looking into clerking, being an RA is probably more valuable than working for the DA.

The bolded is the most important aspect of it, according to the hiring partners I've spoken to. They all had very negative views of RA positions.

And the bolded is the reason that upperclassmen have told me to steer clear of RA's, provided you could find other decent legal work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

This is to encourage anyone still looking for PI jobs. I struck out at OCI, which I went through despite my ambivalence toward biglaw, and today was offered an internship with one of the largest nonprofits in my city. Organizations are definitely still hiring-- it's worth following up.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Yet another reason why I hate the 1L summer job search process. Accepted a job that I didn't really want three weeks ago. Just got an offer for one of my top choices today with no interview or communication of any kind since I sent them my resume. :cry:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:59 pm

STILL UNEMPLOYED LOL

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:STILL UNEMPLOYED LOL

Me too. I am waiting on two firms to get back to me. I had callbacks at both. If i dont get these, screw it. I am taking the summer off.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm

danidancer wrote:Yet another reason why I hate the 1L summer job search process. Accepted a job that I didn't really want three weeks ago. Just got an offer for one of my top choices today with no interview or communication of any kind since I sent them my resume. :cry:

Type of jobs?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

And the bolded is the reason that upperclassmen have told me to steer clear of RA's, provided you could find other decent legal work.

It comes down to what's meant by "other decent legal work." In reality, the choice often seems to be RAing or nothing. Or are you suggesting there's always some decent legal work available that's better than being an RA? I don't think so...

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:50 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
danidancer wrote:Yet another reason why I hate the 1L summer job search process. Accepted a job that I didn't really want three weeks ago. Just got an offer for one of my top choices today with no interview or communication of any kind since I sent them my resume. :cry:

Type of jobs?

Without getting too specific, legal services vs. a DA's office. I was really hoping for litigation experience this summer, but I really don't think reneging on my acceptance of the legal services position is an option at this point. So disappointed.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:10 pm

So, I need to write a one paragraph statement of interest. I'm not entirely sure even what that is. Do I talk about myself? Do I genuinely say why I'm interested in the position? Do I do both?

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:15 pm

for personal interest statement - I'd focus for the most part on praising the place and how amazing they are and the awesome things they will do for you (peppered in with some info about you refining skills etc). My only interview (and offer) was with an office that I gushed all over how great they were - people like to hear things about themselves and really...what can you say differently about yourself that other candidates wont goodluck!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

This job opportunity is awesome... but the company is of the type that its hard to praise. You guys would laugh if I could post it here. But, I probably can't.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Welp, one more job application out. Edging closer and closer to unemployment for this summer. AWESOME. I guess top 25% at a T2 after first semester makes me unemployable. What the fuck.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:Welp, one more job application out. Edging closer and closer to unemployment for this summer. AWESOME. I guess top 25% at a T2 after first semester makes me unemployable. What the fuck.

RA positions? Start calling small firms and every govt. bureau in town?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Welp, one more job application out. Edging closer and closer to unemployment for this summer. AWESOME. I guess top 25% at a T2 after first semester makes me unemployable. What the fuck.

Multiple RA apps out. I have a small PI firm back up if I really want it, but I don't want it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rad law wrote:

Multiple RA apps out. I have a small PI firm back up if I really want it, but I don't want it.

Ah, so you're not quite unemployable. Damn you may just have to take it bro.

Return to “Legal Employment”