1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
swc65 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
goosey wrote:was told I would hear back by today by one place. havent heard back. its PI. should I accept that its not happening? I thought they at least let you know you didnt get it


As if.

if you have radio silence I'd just assume it's good as gone.



Nah, I had a firm cancel an interview and tell me they would get back to me as soon as they could. A couple of days went by and I thought it was surely gone. I emailed and it turns out the secretary had just forgotten to call. I have a second interview with that firm next week. These are very busy people and they do forget about lowly law students who want a handout.


Fine. Yours is an exception to the rule, but ok.

Goosey, call them. Some may say email, but it's incredibly easy to defer emailing back or to simply not email back at all.

If they want you, they'll accept you. If they don't, they'll tell you. Either way you're not sitting there in class waiting for your phone to ring with an offer.


calling is definitely the right step. these ppl are busy as fuck and 1Ls are very low on the list of priorities. That doesn't mean we're worthless, but in terms of getting stuff done we fall below keeping ppl out of jail, filing briefs on time, paying the staff, picking up the dry cleaning, etc, etc. I presume my emails will either be dealt with immediately(newest email in inbox and a response is sent immediately) or as one of the the last items on the list. being politely persistent is often the key to separating yourself from the pack.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:45 pm

rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?


Early July for hometown firms.


For real? Holy shit, I figured I wouldn't need to mail anything until September. Good to know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 pm

For anyone who's in a world of pain, I just got two offers, and I'm median at a T2. Contact alumni, be polite and persistent if you think there's an opening. Sometimes there is.

I'm even getting paid...a little.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Cupidity wrote:
rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?


Early July for hometown firms.


For real? Holy shit, I figured I wouldn't need to mail anything until September. Good to know.


Damn you, competition!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:55 pm

Cupidity wrote:
rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?


Early July for hometown firms.


For real? Holy shit, I figured I wouldn't need to mail anything until September. Good to know.


I should have mentioned I'm gonna be in the area. If you're not gonna be in the area, I don't really think there's a point to getting them in that early.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:58 pm

rad law wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?


Early July for hometown firms.


For real? Holy shit, I figured I wouldn't need to mail anything until September. Good to know.


I should have mentioned I'm gonna be in the area. If you're not gonna be in the area, I don't really think there's a point to getting them in that early.


I'll be in my secondary target this summer, guess I'll mail there first, OCI should help me for primary.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Kretzy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:24 am

swc65 wrote:i totally agree that goosey should call. I just meant that no news=/= not getting the job. It could easily be an oversight! Don't give up hope goosey.


+1. Definitely call. I had to make a call at 4 pm at a deadline to see if a firm I liked more than another (where an offer was expiring) was going to go away. It isn't ever as awkward as we think it'll be, and it's good practice in the future. I've found that firms, even if they aren't extending you an offer, appreciate the initiative/slight confidence it takes to call.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 am

I think I'm going to call a PI place today. 99% sure not hearing means I didn't get it, but, I do want some closure. What do you even say? "Hi, I just wanted to call for my rejection, since the waiting is killing me?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I think I'm going to call a PI place today. 99% sure not hearing means I didn't get it, but, I do want some closure. What do you even say? "Hi, I just wanted to call for my rejection, since the waiting is killing me?"


Not necessarily. I'm the anon above, and one of my offers was from a call just like that. "Have you forgotten about me?" "Oh, no...well...let's see. Okay, we'll let you know."

And they did!

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 am

Well, I bit the bullet and asked my top choice job what was up. Unfortunately I did it through e-mail, and now I have a near heart attack every time I see the little (1). I probably should have just called.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

I have an interview with a 3rd private equity firm. They have been very friendly and asked me to "come in an talk about what I wanted to do as an intern with them." My other option is to split my summer between the DA's office & a small angle investment fund.

Option 1. Go in and say I want an internship over the summer with this PE/VC fund.

Option 2. Go in and say that I want to do the DA's office/angle fund to get experience over the summer and that I want to work part-time at this PE fund in the Fall. Since this was not a publicly available position, I don't doubt they would go for it.

Which one is better for my 2L employment prospects, or is the difference marginal at best?

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 am

Difference is marginal. Pick the place where they tell you you will do the most hands on work since thats what you can sell during OCI, unlike making copies or getting coffee.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I have an interview with a 3rd private equity firm. They have been very friendly and asked me to "come in an talk about what I wanted to do as an intern with them." My other option is to split my summer between the DA's office & a small angle investment fund.

Option 1. Go in and say I want an internship over the summer with this PE/VC fund.

Option 2. Go in and say that I want to do the DA's office/angle fund to get experience over the summer and that I want to work part-time at this PE fund in the Fall. Since this was not a publicly available position, I don't doubt they would go for it.

Which one is better for my 2L employment prospects, or is the difference marginal at best?


Angel not angle...(unless the fund deals in some type of geometrical shapes then I'd be wrong) So many people do that and I've never understood why.

As someone else said see what kind of work is being offered at all three and go with the selection that will offer you the most to say about what you are likely to want to do. Come 2L OCI time you won't have had the experience of working at the PE fund in the fall to talk about.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Unitas wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I have an interview with a 3rd private equity firm. They have been very friendly and asked me to "come in an talk about what I wanted to do as an intern with them." My other option is to split my summer between the DA's office & a small angle investment fund.

Option 1. Go in and say I want an internship over the summer with this PE/VC fund.

Option 2. Go in and say that I want to do the DA's office/angle fund to get experience over the summer and that I want to work part-time at this PE fund in the Fall. Since this was not a publicly available position, I don't doubt they would go for it.

Which one is better for my 2L employment prospects, or is the difference marginal at best?


Angel not angle...(unless the fund deals in some type of geometrical shapes then I'd be wrong) So many people do that and I've never understood why.

As someone else said see what kind of work is being offered at all three and go with the selection that will offer you the most to say about what you are likely to want to do. Come 2L OCI time you won't have had the experience of working at the PE fund in the fall to talk about.


I noticed this after I posted but was being dominated in Con Law so didn't edit.

and yeah you are right. but I think that all three will be substantial, so I guess it probably will not matter that much which option I go with as long as I can talk about it.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Rejected from an RA position. Class will now be awkward. Joy.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

STILL UNEMPLOYED, LOL

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm

I think I'll be the last law student still posting about unemployment in this thread, come like, may. haha.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I think I'll be the last law student still posting about unemployment in this thread, come like, may. haha.

NOPE, I'M GOING TO BE POSTING IN HERE FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS OF MY LIFE

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I think I'll be the last law student still posting about unemployment in this thread, come like, may. haha.

NOPE, I'M GOING TO BE POSTING IN HERE FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS OF MY LIFE

I thought you had a job? Or am I confusing you with someone else? Or are you being sarcastic? Or both? I just don't know!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Got an offer from a family law judge here in town. I'm interested in family law, but I'm more interested in real estate stuff, and I'm still waiting to hear back from a paid position doing that. The paid position would be full time over the summer, but then would require 15-20 hours/wk during the year, while the spot with the judge is just for the summer, can be done for credit, and I can set my own dates/hours. Wait to hear back from the other place or just accept the spot with the judge?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I think I'll be the last law student still posting about unemployment in this thread, come like, may. haha.

NOPE, I'M GOING TO BE POSTING IN HERE FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS OF MY LIFE

I thought you had a job? Or am I confusing you with someone else? Or are you being sarcastic? Or both? I just don't know!

ALL OF THE ABOVE

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Just had to turn down and OCI with Knight Capital Group, it was a paid internship and the company was huge. I wish i knew how much I just turned down. Did anyone ever intern there and know the pay? Or can someone guestimate.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:22 pm

is it bad to send a follow up email to an org that said they would get back to me by friday and hasn't yet?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mths » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and asked my top choice job what was up. Unfortunately I did it through e-mail, and now I have a near heart attack every time I see the little (1). I probably should have just called.

That (1) has brought me so much misery

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 pm

deleted.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.