1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stayway

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:50$/hr coaching job

Make it rain, brah.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:How bad is a State district court internship going to look :(

There's one that just went up on our job site that I could easily get, but I think I'd rather try to RA than do something like that. Better than nothing, but it's almost kind of embarrassing to do that IMO. Court of common pleas, probably a bunch of DUI shit.

To clarify: Are you talking about a state trial level judge externship? If so I dont see anything wrong with it, especially if its in your preferred market. I would do that over RAing.

Yeah, poor choice of words. Court of Common Pleas in my home county (and residency in the county is a requirement too). Grades + residency requirement = mine if I want it. RA'ing is going to get me paiddddd though (plus be more useful in terms of lawyering skills). I do have a 50$/hr coaching job over the summer waiting for me too though, so I guess I can deal without.

Unless you have an RA job nailed down, apply to the judge and make your money on the coaching job.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:How bad is a State district court internship going to look :(

There's one that just went up on our job site that I could easily get, but I think I'd rather try to RA than do something like that. Better than nothing, but it's almost kind of embarrassing to do that IMO. Court of common pleas, probably a bunch of DUI shit.

To clarify: Are you talking about a state trial level judge externship? If so I dont see anything wrong with it, especially if its in your preferred market. I would do that over RAing.

Yeah, poor choice of words. Court of Common Pleas in my home county (and residency in the county is a requirement too). Grades + residency requirement = mine if I want it. RA'ing is going to get me paiddddd though (plus be more useful in terms of lawyering skills). I do have a 50$/hr coaching job over the summer waiting for me too though, so I guess I can deal without.

You might be able to grab some externship credit there dude.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:YUSOMAD bro? I have a feeling I know who this is. There's a girl that's notorious for publicly crying in your section.

She opens her eyes really weird. AMIRITE?

Pretty sure I know who you are talking about; her face doesn't look real, almost doll-like. Sounds like Minnie mouse when she talks.

But in any case, this isn't her. This girl is more of the UGG boat wearing type who can't stop talking about last weekend at Mad River. NiceBro!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Today I get an e-mail from my CSO person saying some small firm is looking for clerks. The e-mail wasn't just a general one, but, to me personally. Not because i have any of the qualifications this place is looking for. Just because she knows how many things I've applied for, and my continued failure to get anything. haha.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:YUSOMAD bro? I have a feeling I know who this is. There's a girl that's notorious for publicly crying in your section.

Pretty sure I know who you are talking about; her face doesn't look real, almost doll-like. Sounds like Minnie mouse when she talks.

But in any case, this isn't her. This girl is more of the UGG boat wearing type who can't stop talking about last weekend at Mad River. NiceBro!

wtf is a UGG boat

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

wtf is a UGG boat

He meant UGG boots. GETWITAMERICABRAH

For the record, UGGs are sexy as hell with the right outfit. Yeah, I said it.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:09 pm

beach_terror wrote:
wtf is a UGG boat

For the record, UGGs are sexy as hell with the right outfit. Yeah, I said it.[/quote]

It's probably made in China. and FYI BRAH its an Australian company.

And I have to agree, UGGs can look good in certain circumstances.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Today I get an e-mail from my CSO person saying some small firm is looking for clerks. The e-mail wasn't just a general one, but, to me personally. Not because i have any of the qualifications this place is looking for. Just because she knows how many things I've applied for, and my continued failure to get anything. haha.

It almost sounds like you think this is a bad thing (well of course the failure so far isn't good), but the fact this person cares enough to email you is a great thing. Tell everyone you can to keep an eye out for you!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Moxie wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Today I get an e-mail from my CSO person saying some small firm is looking for clerks. The e-mail wasn't just a general one, but, to me personally. Not because i have any of the qualifications this place is looking for. Just because she knows how many things I've applied for, and my continued failure to get anything. haha.

It almost sounds like you think this is a bad thing (well of course the failure so far isn't good), but the fact this person cares enough to email you is a great thing. Tell everyone you can to keep an eye out for you!

No, I'm quite pleased I got this e-mail. The job would be in the same area as my school, and thus my apartment and friends. Since its a firm, it might pay. And, since they didn't post it, there might be less competition (although I don't know how many other people also got this e-mail.) I just thought it was funny that my failure was known, without me ever actually telling her.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:39 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
wtf is a UGG boat

For the record, UGGs are sexy as hell with the right outfit. Yeah, I said it.

It's probably made in China. and FYI BRAH its an Australian company.

And I have to agree, UGGs can look good in certain circumstances.[/quote]
Because I was clearly referring to where they're made :roll:

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:01 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Moxie wrote:

No, I'm quite pleased I got this e-mail. The job would be in the same area as my school, and thus my apartment and friends. Since its a firm, it might pay. And, since they didn't post it, there might be less competition (although I don't know how many other people also got this e-mail.) I just thought it was funny that my failure was known, without me ever actually telling her.

Often this kind of personalized attention is what will land you a job. I got one of my jobs for this summer largely because someone in the development office pointed me in the direction of an alumnus and put a good word in.

I'm sure you'll find something soon! It seems by your prior posts that you're a genuinely nice person and have social skills. I've found that's 90% of the battle. I just got my dream internship today for half the summer, and the person in charge of hiring for the office said because of space, she usually just turns everyone seeking an internship away, especially 1Ls.

She said that my persistence and not being an "asshole" really worked in my favor (Yes, she actually said that me nicely bothering her was the trick to getting an interview). I never thought that people being douchey when asking for jobs was really that much of a problem...

Don't lose hope, and remember, always be nice!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm

OGR3 wrote:Often this kind of personalized attention is what will land you a job. I got one of my jobs for this summer largely because someone in the development office pointed me in the direction of an alumnus and put a good word in.

I'm sure you'll find something soon! It seems by your prior posts that you're a genuinely nice person and have social skills. I've found that's 90% of the battle. I just got my dream internship today for half the summer, and the person in charge of hiring for the office said because of space, she usually just turns everyone seeking an internship away, especially 1Ls.

She said that my persistence and not being an "asshole" really worked in my favor (Yes, she actually said that me nicely bothering her was the trick to getting an interview). I never thought that people being douchey when asking for jobs was really that much of a problem...

Don't lose hope, and remember, always be nice!

Aww, thanks. That actually made my day marginally better. And congrats! That's seriously awesome.

Also, I think next year I'm going to try nicely pestering some of the places that turned me down this year.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Two more apps out, here's to hoping.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm

was told I would hear back by today by one place. havent heard back. its PI. should I accept that its not happening? I thought they at least let you know you didnt get it

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm

will be accepting offer with office of contracting and procurement :/ we'll see how it goes seeing I have no experience/strong interest in this field. But good luck to everyone this thread helped and all of the advice! at this point I would start bugging places

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm

goosey wrote:was told I would hear back by today by one place. havent heard back. its PI. should I accept that its not happening? I thought they at least let you know you didnt get it

I'd call on Monday. Many people are just really bad about getting back to applicants.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:51 pm

goosey wrote:was told I would hear back by today by one place. havent heard back. its PI. should I accept that its not happening? I thought they at least let you know you didnt get it

As if.

if you have radio silence I'd just assume it's good as gone.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

YourCaptain wrote:

As if.

Nah, I had a firm cancel an interview and tell me they would get back to me as soon as they could. A couple of days went by and I thought it was surely gone. I emailed and it turns out the secretary had just forgotten to call. I have a second interview with that firm next week. These are very busy people and they do forget about lowly law students who want a handout.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:00 am

Guess I have to call some places Monday, get an awkward rejection.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 am

swc65 wrote:
Nah, I had a firm cancel an interview and tell me they would get back to me as soon as they could. A couple of days went by and I thought it was surely gone. I emailed and it turns out the secretary had just forgotten to call. I have a second interview with that firm next week. These are very busy people and they do forget about lowly law students who want a handout.

exception to the rule. Silence = ding 99.99% of the time.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:09 am

When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:37 pm

swc65 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

As if.

Fine. Yours is an exception to the rule, but ok.

Goosey, call them. Some may say email, but it's incredibly easy to defer emailing back or to simply not email back at all.

If they want you, they'll accept you. If they don't, they'll tell you. Either way you're not sitting there in class waiting for your phone to ring with an offer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:When do you guys plan on getting applications sent out for next year's summer? Our OCI starts in August but I'd like to get a head start on apps?

Early July for hometown firms.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:12 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
swc65 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

As if.

Fine. Yours is an exception to the rule, but ok.

Goosey, call them. Some may say email, but it's incredibly easy to defer emailing back or to simply not email back at all.

If they want you, they'll accept you. If they don't, they'll tell you. Either way you're not sitting there in class waiting for your phone to ring with an offer.

i totally agree that goosey should call. I just meant that no news=/= not getting the job. It could easily be an oversight! Don't give up hope goosey.

Return to “Legal Employment”