1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:10 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Omerta wrote:So I just accepted two RA positions today (both very solid professors); where does that rank on the OCI helpfulness scale? I want to clerk and I know that will be a huge help for getting personal recommendations, but I'm still a little fuzzy for how firms value it.

RAing will be more helpful for OCI than doing nothing for the summer from what I've gathered. And if those are your only options, the choice is clear, I wouldn't worry about it. It ranks significantly behind working for a judge or at a firm, though still better than doing nothing law related.

@drdolittle: That's like saying, it's better to have $10 in your pocket than no money when trying to buy a burger. lol...but it is true.

@Omerta: If you've accepted the positions, don't stress about what it will do for you at OCI. backing out would only hurt you so no use in stressing over how it will or won't help you at OCI.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Still unemployed. Still checking my mail every single day, and e-mail every 10 seconds waiting to hear. The more time that goes by, the more confident I am that I'm not going to get any of the jobs I'm waiting on.

Same boat! It's so weird because everyone I know has a job except for me!!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Idk, seems like our CSO is still posting a good deal of jobs. They just posted a midlaw paid SA gig today for example. Keep papering the town and you'll get something. I also suggest what goosey suggested a couple of pages back and just calling some small law firms in the area to see if they need someone. You can probably call up like 20 firms in an hour, much more efficient than sending out emails.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Idk, seems like our CSO is still posting a good deal of jobs. They just posted a midlaw paid SA gig today for example. Keep papering the town and you'll get something. I also suggest what goosey suggested a couple of pages back and just calling some small law firms in the area to see if they need someone. You can probably call up like 20 firms in an hour, much more efficient than sending out emails.

Same here, our CSO and PILC (public interest) Office are continually posting job openings. KEEP THE FAITH!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 pm

CSO has posted a few things, even some cool ones. The problem is finding the time to apply. My motion is due on Friday morning and it's a disaster.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:CSO has posted a few things, even some cool ones. The problem is finding the time to apply. My motion is due on Friday morning and it's a disaster.

I'm very sympathetic to your plight but everyone is pressured for time; if you have to turn your lunch break into a job search while you eat.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:CSO has posted a few things, even some cool ones. The problem is finding the time to apply. My motion is due on Friday morning and it's a disaster.

I'm very sympathetic to your plight but everyone is pressured for time; if you have to turn your lunch break into a job search while you eat.

Normally I would. This week I don't actually have lunch breaks. I have class and mandatory meetings from 9-4. Then I come home and it's motion time. But, some deadlines aren't until April 15th, so, next week I should be able to get to it.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 pm

1L summer employment seems very akin to your undergrad in a firm's eyes.. As long as you have one, it doesn't really matter unless it is super prestigious.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

Normally I would. This week I don't actually have lunch breaks. I have class and mandatory meetings from 9-4. Then I come home and it's motion time. But, some deadlines aren't until April 15th, so, next week I should be able to get to it.

Getting a job is more important than one or two class sessions, IMO.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 pm

I'd say cut out the meetings, unless they're with your profs specifically regarding a class.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:43 pm

sigh ...Symplicity is predominantly showing fall internships now but I am still applying :/ I am taking a summer course to pad my GPA for Fall OCI but reallyyyyy hoping I get some kind of a job ...anyone here hiring? haha

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Idk, seems like our CSO is still posting a good deal of jobs. They just posted a midlaw paid SA gig today for example. Keep papering the town and you'll get something. I also suggest what goosey suggested a couple of pages back and just calling some small law firms in the area to see if they need someone. You can probably call up like 20 firms in an hour, much more efficient than sending out emails.

Same here, our CSO and PILC (public interest) Office are continually posting job openings. KEEP THE FAITH!

Well you also go to Standford. I don't think all schools are continually posting...

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Well you also go to Standford. I don't think all schools are continually posting...

I go to BLS and there are still a ton of jobs being posted everyday. I already have a job, but for some reason i find the need to obsessively check too. Some really cool positions have come up recently too.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:47 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:sigh ...Symplicity is predominantly showing fall internships now but I am still applying :/ I am taking a summer course to pad my GPA for Fall OCI but reallyyyyy hoping I get some kind of a job ...anyone here hiring? haha

isnt a summer course irrelevant for Fall OCI? You will be applying before you get a grade for that course.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm

phonepro wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:sigh ...Symplicity is predominantly showing fall internships now but I am still applying :/ I am taking a summer course to pad my GPA for Fall OCI but reallyyyyy hoping I get some kind of a job ...anyone here hiring? haha

isnt a summer course irrelevant for Fall OCI? You will be applying before you get a grade for that course.

I'm at GW and our summer schedule is from May 16 to July 7 and we get our grades before Fall OCI...or that's what I thought haha. I'll double check

Notor

Postby Notor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Still unemployed. Still checking my mail every single day, and e-mail every 10 seconds waiting to hear. The more time that goes by, the more confident I am that I'm not going to get any of the jobs I'm waiting on.

Keep head up. I got totally shut out at spring OCI for both non-profit and private sector employers (talk about depressing), but I followed up by emailing the ones that I really wanted to work for saying that I regretted that we were unable to meet but that I would really like to talk to them about their career path and their job because I was still interested. Two employers, including my first choice, actually responded and agreed to meet with me. I got a free lunch out of the first one and a chance to network, and the employer that was my first choice ended up offering me the position after the person they offered accepted another offer and they weren't that thrilled with the other candidates they interviewed.

If I can even offer advice I'd say don'y rely totally on Symplicity, because everyone else is looking at it and applying to the positions. Try to contact someone at the place you applied at and have a conversation with them so they actually know who you are before they decide who gets interviews. Also, use LinkedIn and try to contact and network with people who graduated from your law school (or any other school that you attended). I've been doing this and the response has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic and I've made a number of good contacts that should help me come fall OCI.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:00 pm

OGR3 wrote:Getting a job is more important than one or two class sessions, IMO.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Moxie wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Getting a job is more important than one or two class sessions, IMO.

It's definitely more important than "meetings" unless it's something like a prof writing a LOR, in which case you can reschedule.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 pm

How bad is a State district court internship going to look :(

There's one that just went up on our job site that I could easily get, but I think I'd rather try to RA than do something like that. Better than nothing, but it's almost kind of embarrassing to do that IMO. Court of common pleas, probably a bunch of DUI shit.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Not to belabor the point, but....

Girl in class, who when grades were released was crying/telling anyone who would listen that she would do better/ was on twitter 5 minutes into that very same class, is talking about summer jobs. Shockingly, she hasn't had any luck yet finding a job for this summer, but her dad has apparently found some small clerking spot for her in some small NY-NJ firm. Will she get the job? probably.

When OCI comes around, will she get invites for her poor grades? Probably not. Will her daddy be able to get her a real associate job for? Maybe, but not in the firms I'll be shooting for.

Any summer legal job seems to be the key; but again, it all comes down to grades.

/rant

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Not to belabor the point, but....

Girl in class, who when grades were released was crying/telling anyone who would listen that she would do better/ was on twitter 5 minutes into that very same class, is talking about summer jobs. Shockingly, she hasn't had any luck yet finding a job for this summer, but her dad has apparently found some small clerking spot for her in some small NY-NJ firm. Will she get the job? probably.

When OCI comes around, will she get invites for her poor grades? Probably not. Will her daddy be able to get her a real associate job for? Maybe, but not in the firms I'll be shooting for.

Any summer legal job seems to be the key; but again, it all comes down to grades.

/rant

YUSOMAD bro? I have a feeling I know who this is. There's a girl that's notorious for publicly crying in your section.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm

beach_terror wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:Not to belabor the point, but....

/rant

YUSOMAD bro? I have a feeling I know who this is. There's a girl that's notorious for publicly crying in your section.

It's very easy to be emotional when you are borderline retarded!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:How bad is a State district court internship going to look :(

There's one that just went up on our job site that I could easily get, but I think I'd rather try to RA than do something like that. Better than nothing, but it's almost kind of embarrassing to do that IMO. Court of common pleas, probably a bunch of DUI shit.

To clarify: Are you talking about a state trial level judge externship? If so I dont see anything wrong with it, especially if its in your preferred market. I would do that over RAing.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:How bad is a State district court internship going to look :(

To clarify: Are you talking about a state trial level judge externship? If so I dont see anything wrong with it, especially if its in your preferred market. I would do that over RAing.

Yeah, poor choice of words. Court of Common Pleas in my home county (and residency in the county is a requirement too). Grades + residency requirement = mine if I want it. RA'ing is going to get me paiddddd though (plus be more useful in terms of lawyering skills). I do have a 50$/hr coaching job over the summer waiting for me too though, so I guess I can deal without.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:YUSOMAD bro? I have a feeling I know who this is. There's a girl that's notorious for publicly crying in your section.

She opens her eyes really weird. AMIRITE?

Return to “Legal Employment”