1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geist13

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Geist13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 pm

uwb09 wrote:When you write a cover letter directed towards attempted to work as an extern for a trial judge, what language would you use in the first paragraph?

"working for your honor..." "working in your office..." "working in your chambers..."

am i over-thinking this?

I said: "an internship in your chambers"

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Cover letters are an abomination. I am proceeding on the theory that nobody reads cover letters, so I don't put any time into them. I put a ton of effort into my resume and cleaning up my writing sample. We'll see if I'm horribly wrong and cover letters actually matter.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Omerta wrote:Cover letters are an abomination. I am proceeding on the theory that nobody reads cover letters, so I don't put any time into them. I put a ton of effort into my resume and cleaning up my writing sample. We'll see if I'm horribly wrong and cover letters actually matter.

At the very least makes sure they don't have errors.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Omerta wrote:Cover letters are an abomination. I am proceeding on the theory that nobody reads cover letters, so I don't put any time into them. I put a ton of effort into my resume and cleaning up my writing sample. We'll see if I'm horribly wrong and cover letters actually matter.

Every time I reuse an old one, I find an error I missed. Oh well, employers should know the writer they are getting if they chose to hire me.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I've only found 1 error in a cover letter, but it was one I sent out... to a judge. My school makes you use a form cover letter and resume. On the cover letter for judges, the default name is "The Honorable Eminent Wisdom" for the judge in the salutation. I didn't delete the 'eminent' in the fake heading so it reads "The Honorable Eminent [Federal judge]." Maybe he/she justs think I'm a flatterer haha.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 pm

I used to think the same thing. I really hate them to be honest, but experience has lead me to believe that they really can help you out tremendously. The few times where I wrote a very specific, very targeted cover letter that really addressed what the firm/pi org expected of a person in that position and how I uniquely fit the bill, I got the job.

Writing one like that takes a lot of time and a lot of research though. If you really want a specific job, list the things you like about it/them and the things they seem to emphasize about themselves, then list the experiences you've had that show that you're the type of person who can line up with that. Use that list to write the letter.

tldr: Cover letters, when they are good, they are really really good and will at least get you interviews you probably have no business getting. For the most part though, it'd take too long, and you're probably not interested enough to make all of em good, so just don't make any errors.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

I used to think the same thing. I really hate them to be honest, but experience has lead me to believe that they really can help you out tremendously. The few times where I wrote a very specific, very targeted cover letter that really addressed what the firm/pi org expected of a person in that position and how I uniquely fit the bill, I got the job.

Writing one like that takes a lot of time and a lot of research though. If you really want a specific job, list the things you like about it/them and the things they seem to emphasize about themselves, then list the experiences you've had that show that you're the type of person who can line up with that. Use that list to write the letter.

tldr: Cover letters, when they are good, they are really really good and will at least get you interviews you probably have no business getting. For the most part though, it'd take too long, and you're probably not interested enough to make all of em good, so just don't make any errors.

Cover letters are for the most part IMO more important than a writing sample. A bad cover letter the reader won't get to the writing sample, whereas a good cover letter they may skip the writing sample (or heck you didn't have to turn one in).

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I really just used the same cover letter over and over, but replaced the firm name and the city in which I was interested in working. The reasons I want to work at a firm this summer apply pretty broadly. I want some experience in an area that most big firms have, and I would be happy working in pretty much any city outside of the South.

My cover letter was basically 2.5 paragraphs. I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel with it. Your grades and your resume will tell people mostly what they need to know. As long as there are no errors. I thought about doing targeted cover letters, but I just felt phony trying to research little tidbits about each individual firms and be like "this is why I would love your firm." I won't really be able to know if I like a firm or not until I start working there. As long as they have my desired practice area, I'm interested in the job.

Also, the cover letter should be about you and what you can provide, not about the firm and what the firm can provide for you. Even more reason you don't have to tailor your cover letter to each firm.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

JCougar wrote: I thought about doing targeted cover letters, but I just felt phony trying to research little tidbits about each individual firms and be like "this is why I would love your firm." I won't really be able to know if I like a firm or not until I start working there. As long as they have my desired practice area, I'm interested in the job.

Also, the cover letter should be about you and what you can provide, not about the firm and what the firm can provide for you. Even more reason you don't have to tailor your cover letter to each firm.

Knowing about the firm and what they provide allows you to best put forward the things you provide that make sense in that scheme. You're not supposed to just write about you or about what the firm can do for you, you're supposed to be writing about why you fit what they are/want.

Like I said, you don't have to write targeted ones, but they work way better...

P.S. Aren't you a 1L? Do you have any experience or success in the legal job hunt?

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Got an interview today for a judicial internship :)

yay :mrgreen:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
JCougar wrote: I thought about doing targeted cover letters, but I just felt phony trying to research little tidbits about each individual firms and be like "this is why I would love your firm." I won't really be able to know if I like a firm or not until I start working there. As long as they have my desired practice area, I'm interested in the job.

Knowing about the firm and what they provide allows you to best put forward the things you provide that make sense in that scheme. You're not supposed to just write about you or about what the firm can do for you, you're supposed to be writing about why you fit what they are/want.

Like I said, you don't have to write targeted ones, but they work way better...

P.S. Aren't you a 1L? Do you have any experience or success in the legal job hunt?

What if what you provide makes sense for almost all law firms?

I honestly don't think that one firm is all that different from another (or if there is a huge difference in culture, 1Ls applying for jobs aren't really going to be able to figure out what it is), unless you are talking about IP boutiques, or something similar.

I'm a 1L, but I also have some pretty good experience in HR, especially on the hiring side of things. It's totally transparent when people have researched the company on the internet and put some irrelevant thing that is unique about it just to prove that they "know something" about the company. It's not a bad thing, but there's far more important factors that will get you somewhere, and I doubt it really helps all that much. Knowing unique things about the company when you write your cover letter probably has no correlation with whether you will be a good worker or not, and people in HR are aware of this. I doubt law firms are all that different, but I could be wrong.

rsx

Postby rsx » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 pm

I can't seem to find this through search - is it ok (or a good idea) to send out apps to OCI firms before interviews begin? Our school has a lottery system so I thought it would make sense but wasn't sure if this was one of those 'do not do' things.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

JCougar wrote:

I honestly don't think that one firm is all that different from another (or if there is a huge difference in culture, 1Ls applying for jobs aren't really going to be able to figure out what it is), unless you are talking about IP boutiques, or something similar.

I'm a 1L, but I also have some pretty good experience in HR, especially on the hiring side of things. It's totally transparent when people have researched the company on the internet and put some irrelevant thing that is unique about it just to prove that they "know something" about the company. It's not a bad thing, but there's far more important factors that will get you somewhere, and I doubt it really helps all that much. Knowing unique things about the company when you write your cover letter probably has no correlation with whether you will be a good worker or not, and people in HR are aware of this. I doubt law firms are all that different, but I could be wrong.

I get what you're saying, and up until I worked at two firms for 1L summer, I also felt that firms weren't all that different from one another (so I guess like you said, 1L's really aren't going to be able to figure out those differences). After working in two different environments and getting a feel for how they both operated and what they both wanted, I realized that marketing yourself to law firms was all about finding the things each firm feels differentiates them from their competitors, and using them "against" the firm. Just like girls, firms like to hear you tell them about the things that make them more special than any other firm/girl.

I agree that it's totally transparent to spew a random fact about a firm. What I advocate for though is lining up a list of what you're best at and what you want, and finding a place that seems to look for/value that. That means going deeper than just reading the firm's website.

When I researched firms, I asked my self questions like: Are they a young firm? If the answer was yes, to me that meant they were still in a place where they want people with energy who want to take ownership of what they do, so I would sell hard that I'm that type of person, who can hit the ground running, and come in and be profitable early.

Do they emphasize their own way of doing things? (i.e. "The XYZ Way") Often times firms are really enamored by this idea that they do things a different way than others. It's easy to spot and easier to exploit. If a girl really likes a particular feature of hers, the easiest way to get her to go home with you is to play up that feature.

I looked at the firm roster and attorney bios: If I noticed a lot of midlevel associates and junior partners had worked at the major biglaw shops and then lateraled in, it was easy to infer that they were one of those elusive "lifestyle firms." (I guess as good a lifestyle you can get working at a large firm...) Another thing I looked at in the bios was just how they were written and constructed. A few of the firms I looked at seemed to go out of their way to promote each individual's own practice. To me that meant that the firm wanted you to have client interaction, to get out and meet people, and to eventually develop your own practice and book of business. I know that is always the point, but some firms seemed to emphasize it more.

That stuff isn't transparent. If you do that stuff, if you really learn what to look for, you'll have tremendous success with writing cover letters, and in interviews (and honestly, that advice is more for interviews than cover letters). Like I said, general cover letters work fine. They aren't there to make sure your file gets really looked at, they're more of a formality. The point of them is just to make sure the person who reads it doesn't trash your stuff because it sucks/you made errors. If you're at a great school and/or you've got great grades, write the general cover letters to your hearts content. My only point was that if you really want a specific job, or you don't quite have the grades, or you have little/no ties to an area, you need to take the time to research the firm/org and write a good targeted cover letter.

My goal here isn't to prove you wrong. Lord knows I was wrong about half the stuff I did when applying to law school/for jobs as a 1L. I've learned a lot in a really short time though, and I'm telling you this stuff works. Like I said in my original post, I thought that cover letters were just a formality..."don't make any mistakes" was my only goal (on top of that, when I did do a "targeted" letter, I used to think that meant changing out 2-4 sentences with something transparent from their website). For the most part this year I still sent out ones that were pretty generic because targeting em for every place would take way too long. However, a good cover letter that is well researched, and considers and presents how you fit at a specific firm or org is ALWAYS preferable. On top of that, the knowledge you get will prepare you to rock the interview. Experience has taught me that...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:30 pm

rsx wrote:I can't seem to find this through search - is it ok (or a good idea) to send out apps to OCI firms before interviews begin? Our school has a lottery system so I thought it would make sense but wasn't sure if this was one of those 'do not do' things.

Do it. Just don't do it during OCI.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Had my first interview today, at 1. At 1:20, I was offered a job; not my first choice, but an amazing opportunity. Can't quite decide whether or not just to take it or to wait for the other programs to which I've applied.

I have 10 days, which seems like a long time and also very short. Very torn.

Congrats if you do or don't take it. You'll hear the bird in the hand phrase often when talking with people about the offer. BTW, Hi Kretzy.

I had a 5 day deadline for one of my offers, but I really wanted the internship (pretty sure they knew I'd accept) and the opportunity is great; however, it is very hard to have committed this early without hearing back from a single one of the firms I applied too especially given the positive responses so far from who I have heard from.

Hi Unitas! I hope school is going excellently for you :)

Turned down the job today. Decided to press my luck for firm jobs/diversity programs. About 20% of my friends have locked in jobs though, and they seem to be really happy. Hopefully it works out.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 am

Finally got all my grades in and now I am ready to buckle down and starting sending out mass amounts of resumes/cover letters. My concern now is how targeted my approach should be. I'd love to be able to snag a 1L SA at a firm, and I think I have an outside shot at least in my school's home market. However, since this is an outside shot, I also want to apply to other places. I've looked into judicial externships, as well as shooting for a DA's office. Is it normal to just apply EVERYWHERE? I honestly just want some experience, and I think I'd enjoy being in any of these environments. The problem is I don't want to end up in that position where I get an offer from a judge and I feel like I HAVE to accept it. On the other hand, I feel like externing with a judge is probably my best shot at employment, so I should probably take it if that situation arises.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

traehekat wrote:The problem is I don't want to end up in that position where I get an offer from a judge and I feel like I HAVE to accept it. On the other hand, I feel like externing with a judge is probably my best shot at employment, so I should probably take it if that situation arises.

I have questions about this too... is it true that it's bad etiquette to turn down a judge? If so, how are you supposed to time your applications to judges in relation to your applications elsewhere? If I don't get offered a research assistant position I probably won't know that until mid-February or March, but I feel like I should be applying for judicial internships now. There are some whose deadlines have already passed. What sort of turnaround should I expect on those applications? Is there always an interview, and is it acceptable to turn the interview down, if not the offer? I guess what I'm saying is that, if interviewing with a judge locks you into accepting an offer from that judge, I don't want to be in that position until I know I'm not getting an RA position. So if I apply now, can I be reasonably certain that they have a ton of applications to go through and I won't be in that position for at least 4-6 weeks? Help! :(

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
traehekat wrote:The problem is I don't want to end up in that position where I get an offer from a judge and I feel like I HAVE to accept it. On the other hand, I feel like externing with a judge is probably my best shot at employment, so I should probably take it if that situation arises.

I have questions about this too... is it true that it's bad etiquette to turn down a judge? If so, how are you supposed to time your applications to judges in relation to your applications elsewhere? If I don't get offered a research assistant position I probably won't know that until mid-February or March, but I feel like I should be applying for judicial internships now. There are some whose deadlines have already passed. What sort of turnaround should I expect on those applications? Is there always an interview, and is it acceptable to turn the interview down, if not the offer? I guess what I'm saying is that, if interviewing with a judge locks you into accepting an offer from that judge, I don't want to be in that position until I know I'm not getting an RA position. So if I apply now, can I be reasonably certain that they have a ton of applications to go through and I won't be in that position for at least 4-6 weeks? Help! :(

I'm only a 1L so I don't know, however I cannot Imagine that it is bad form to accept a job before hearing back from a judge you interviewed with. If they don't accept you immediately , it would be totally unreasonable for the judge to expect you to turn everything down until you hear for him/her. I guess I understand the issue when it comes to clerking because its a major position. But 1L internships have no organized application process, most judges don't even advertise the positions. They are human and should understand that you need to take what you can get. Now, it may be good form to ask the employer for a day or two to make a decision and use that time to contact the judge. But if they won't give it, it would be absurd for anyone to hold that against you.

Shit, what if you interview with multiple judges?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Geist13 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

I'm only a 1L so I don't know, however I cannot Imagine that it is bad form to accept a job before hearing back from a judge you interviewed with. If they don't accept you immediately , it would be totally unreasonable for the judge to expect you to turn everything down until you hear for him/her. I guess I understand the issue when it comes to clerking because its a major position. But 1L internships have no organized application process, most judges don't even advertise the positions. They are human and should understand that you need to take what you can get. Now, it may be good form to ask the employer for a day or two to make a decision and use that time to contact the judge. But if they won't give it, it would be absurd for anyone to hold that against you.

That's true, I'm sure it's fine to withdraw between interview and offer; I guess I'm just worried about being confronted with the offer itself while there are still important irons in the fire. Which might not be a reasonable fear at all, depending on the turnaround time for these things. This would also all be much easier if I had GRADES.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I get what you're saying, and up until I worked at two firms for 1L summer, I also felt that firms weren't all that different from one another (so I guess like you said, 1L's really aren't going to be able to figure out those differences). After working in two different environments and getting a feel for how they both operated and what they both wanted, I realized that marketing yourself to law firms was all about finding the things each firm feels differentiates them from their competitors, and using them "against" the firm. Just like girls, firms like to hear you tell them about the things that make them more special than any other firm/girl.

I agree that it's totally transparent to spew a random fact about a firm. What I advocate for though is lining up a list of what you're best at and what you want, and finding a place that seems to look for/value that. That means going deeper than just reading the firm's website.

When I researched firms, I asked my self questions like: Are they a young firm? If the answer was yes, to me that meant they were still in a place where they want people with energy who want to take ownership of what they do, so I would sell hard that I'm that type of person, who can hit the ground running, and come in and be profitable early.

Do they emphasize their own way of doing things? (i.e. "The XYZ Way") Often times firms are really enamored by this idea that they do things a different way than others. It's easy to spot and easier to exploit. If a girl really likes a particular feature of hers, the easiest way to get her to go home with you is to play up that feature.

I looked at the firm roster and attorney bios: If I noticed a lot of midlevel associates and junior partners had worked at the major biglaw shops and then lateraled in, it was easy to infer that they were one of those elusive "lifestyle firms." (I guess as good a lifestyle you can get working at a large firm...) Another thing I looked at in the bios was just how they were written and constructed. A few of the firms I looked at seemed to go out of their way to promote each individual's own practice. To me that meant that the firm wanted you to have client interaction, to get out and meet people, and to eventually develop your own practice and book of business. I know that is always the point, but some firms seemed to emphasize it more.

That stuff isn't transparent. If you do that stuff, if you really learn what to look for, you'll have tremendous success with writing cover letters, and in interviews (and honestly, that advice is more for interviews than cover letters). Like I said, general cover letters work fine. They aren't there to make sure your file gets really looked at, they're more of a formality. The point of them is just to make sure the person who reads it doesn't trash your stuff because it sucks/you made errors. If you're at a great school and/or you've got great grades, write the general cover letters to your hearts content. My only point was that if you really want a specific job, or you don't quite have the grades, or you have little/no ties to an area, you need to take the time to research the firm/org and write a good targeted cover letter.

My goal here isn't to prove you wrong. Lord knows I was wrong about half the stuff I did when applying to law school/for jobs as a 1L. I've learned a lot in a really short time though, and I'm telling you this stuff works. Like I said in my original post, I thought that cover letters were just a formality..."don't make any mistakes" was my only goal (on top of that, when I did do a "targeted" letter, I used to think that meant changing out 2-4 sentences with something transparent from their website). For the most part this year I still sent out ones that were pretty generic because targeting em for every place would take way too long. However, a good cover letter that is well researched, and considers and presents how you fit at a specific firm or org is ALWAYS preferable. On top of that, the knowledge you get will prepare you to rock the interview. Experience has taught me that...

I agree, then...if you're going to go the extra mile like this for your target firms, and if you can really figure out what makes each firm unique, that's a good thing. It's really hard to do this, though, especially if you have 50 firms to apply to. And it's a great thing for interviews -- but those you have a more limited number and actually have the time to research. I applied to about 25 over break, and one responded later when I went to their holiday reception that they were surprised to get a cover letter, as they didn't even require it. So it probably depends on the firm, too. Some are more mechanical about the hiring process, and some are more subjective. I have to admit that the business world, especially the companies I worked for, are likely more mechanical and scientific about the hiring process, and the people that read the cover letters aren't even the people that make the hiring decisions. I'm beginning to realize the law firm world is a little bit different.

If you have the time, though, it probably can't hurt.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 am

Geist13 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Exactly.

I've heard "do not apply to a judge you have no intention of working for."

That's fine. But what if you're applying to (at last count) 30 judges?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I have no grades and thus no writing sample, STILL. What the fuck, this is the worst. I'd love to sit here and crank out a bunch of applications, but I can't... sorta.

Question: would working for a governmental agency in my desired "specialty" for 1L be better than working at a firm? EPA is the agency, and I want to do environmental law (and have an interview for a 1L SA position with a firm during spring OCI - also have a "connection" to the firm, which is what got me the interview, sorta).

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

beach_terror wrote:I have no grades and thus no writing sample, STILL. What the fuck, this is the worst. I'd love to sit here and crank out a bunch of applications, but I can't... sorta.

Question: would working for a governmental agency in my desired "specialty" for 1L be better than working at a firm? EPA is the agency, and I want to do environmental law (and have an interview for a 1L SA position with a firm during spring OCI - also have a "connection" to the firm, which is what got me the interview, sorta).

Would you rather work at the agency or at a firm after graduation? That answers your question right there. I say take the firm job, especially if it pays. ITE, the most exclusive thing you can have on your legal resume is a job.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I have no grades and thus no writing sample, STILL. What the fuck, this is the worst. I'd love to sit here and crank out a bunch of applications, but I can't... sorta.

Would you rather work at the agency or at a firm after graduation? That answers your question right there. I say take the firm job, especially if it pays. ITE, the most exclusive thing you can have on your legal resume is a job.

I go to a T2, so I'll take whatever I can get :cry:. Any idea what the EPA pays attorneys?

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 am

I was poking around symplicity today and stumbled upon a law clerk position specializing in energy transactions. I nearly wet my pants until I read the next sentence: Top 5% required.

My heart sank a little bit. :(

Return to “Legal Employment”