1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:36 pm

so....still no job and no interviews coming up either. I keep watching Symplicity but only postings for Fall now. Grr I am kicking myself for not starting job search sooner especially the judges (that's really what I wanted to do, I would have loved to do that and I didn't even care about court type) :(

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:so....still no job and no interviews coming up either. I keep watching Symplicity but only postings for Fall now. Grr I am kicking myself for not starting job search sooner especially the judges (that's really what I wanted to do, I would have loved to do that and I didn't even care about court type) :(

SHOOTING MYSELF IN THE FOOT BY TRYING TO GET A 1L SA WAS A GREAT IDEA, HAD TO FOREGO JUDICIAL INTERNSHIPS ENTIRELY (and at least had an outside shot at Art. III)

mythosopher
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mythosopher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!! :mrgreen:

Judge me all you want for being this excited, but it's the only positive response I've gotten so far. Just a small local firm, but certainly better than nothing, even if it isn't anything government or PI. Plus, they have practice areas that I'm legitimately interested in.

mythosopher
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mythosopher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
mythosopher wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Had an interview for an RA spot today. My teacher said he's just picking arbitrarily, so it's nothing personal if you aren't picked.

Then I got a rejection from the one job I kind of had hope for. Even though it was paid, and likely too good for me.

If he's picking arbitrarily, why did he both with interviews?

I couldn't figure that out either. The only thing he asked me anyway was my interest area. And then he talked for like 40 minutes and told me to compete in the write-on competition.

Betcha he just wanted to meet people only to screen out the sketchy people and/or give brownie points to the people whose personality he likes best. Which I don't at all blame him for.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:59 pm

beach_terror wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:so....still no job and no interviews coming up either. I keep watching Symplicity but only postings for Fall now. Grr I am kicking myself for not starting job search sooner especially the judges (that's really what I wanted to do, I would have loved to do that and I didn't even care about court type) :(

SHOOTING MYSELF IN THE FOOT BY TRYING TO GET A 1L SA WAS A GREAT IDEA, HAD TO FOREGO JUDICIAL INTERNSHIPS ENTIRELY (and at least had an outside shot at Art. III)


looked at your avatar and actually lol'd while i was sitting at some coffee place.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:31 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

I've got a federal judge internship for second half of summer and I need to line up one for first half of summer. Any suggestions?

Why can't you just extend it a couple weeks so it looks like an extra month is added on, and then take a couple weeks off for the write-on competition?

Its in a southern state...apparently they split summers always down there.
So, the judge has two interns for the first 6 weeks and me and another guy for the second 6 weeks immediately following.

Wouldn't a judge that extended an offer to me think I was being ungrateful if I asked him for a longer term?

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:51 am

mythosopher wrote:I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!! :mrgreen:

Judge me all you want for being this excited, but it's the only positive response I've gotten so far. Just a small local firm, but certainly better than nothing, even if it isn't anything government or PI. Plus, they have practice areas that I'm legitimately interested in.


Congrats!!! You should be excited :D

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:21 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

I've got a federal judge internship for second half of summer and I need to line up one for first half of summer. Any suggestions?

Why can't you just extend it a couple weeks so it looks like an extra month is added on, and then take a couple weeks off for the write-on competition?

Its in a southern state...apparently they split summers always down there.
So, the judge has two interns for the first 6 weeks and me and another guy for the second 6 weeks immediately following.

Wouldn't a judge that extended an offer to me think I was being ungrateful if I asked him for a longer term?

I'd actually think it made you extremely grateful, so much so that you want to work there longer. But you are right. If he has a program for splitting summers, then it might not be wise to ask. Unless you phrase it like... I can train the new guys! I once interned on the Hill and they always had an old intern stay a week or so longer to train the new ones. Slippery slope I guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 am

Received an interview invitation from the most prestigious Federal Appeals Court Judge in my target market today, after accepting a position with a Federal District Court Judge in my secondary market on Friday. I'm very happy to be working for the district court, it sounds like a great experience and shouldn't hold me back at 2L OCI, and I don't want to complain while many of my friends are still scrambling for unpaid non-profit work but, FML.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

I've got a federal judge internship for second half of summer and I need to line up one for first half of summer. Any suggestions?

Why can't you just extend it a couple weeks so it looks like an extra month is added on, and then take a couple weeks off for the write-on competition?

Its in a southern state...apparently they split summers always down there.
So, the judge has two interns for the first 6 weeks and me and another guy for the second 6 weeks immediately following.

Wouldn't a judge that extended an offer to me think I was being ungrateful if I asked him for a longer term?


OMFG, we should call our judges together and be like....look. I'm the anon post above this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received an interview invitation from the most prestigious Federal Appeals Court Judge in my target market today, after accepting a position with a Federal District Court Judge in my secondary market on Friday. I'm very happy to be working for the district court, it sounds like a great experience and shouldn't hold me back at 2L OCI, and I don't want to complain while many of my friends are still scrambling for unpaid non-profit work but, FML.


Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except for it was State Supreme vs. State COA. Had accepted an offer from a state COA judge which I was very happy about (though I had to withdraw from consideration with a District Court judge when offered). Last week, I got a call from the clerk of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of that state, who happens to be in the same building as the COA judge. Had to turn down the interview. Top 20%-ish at a T25.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an interview invitation from the most prestigious Federal Appeals Court Judge in my target market today, after accepting a position with a Federal District Court Judge in my secondary market on Friday. I'm very happy to be working for the district court, it sounds like a great experience and shouldn't hold me back at 2L OCI, and I don't want to complain while many of my friends are still scrambling for unpaid non-profit work but, FML.


Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except for it was State Supreme vs. State COA. Had accepted an offer from a state COA judge which I was very happy about (though I had to withdraw from consideration with a District Court judge when offered). Last week, I got a call from the clerk of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of that state, who happens to be in the same building as the COA judge. Had to turn down the interview. Top 20%-ish at a T25.


I'm going to try saying, "Unfortunately no, however....what about a fall externship?" Anyone have any thoughts on this, I don't even know how externships work.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

beach_terror wrote:Hey beach, you still unemployed?

hell yeah


:cry:

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an interview invitation from the most prestigious Federal Appeals Court Judge in my target market today, after accepting a position with a Federal District Court Judge in my secondary market on Friday. I'm very happy to be working for the district court, it sounds like a great experience and shouldn't hold me back at 2L OCI, and I don't want to complain while many of my friends are still scrambling for unpaid non-profit work but, FML.


Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except for it was State Supreme vs. State COA. Had accepted an offer from a state COA judge which I was very happy about (though I had to withdraw from consideration with a District Court judge when offered). Last week, I got a call from the clerk of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of that state, who happens to be in the same building as the COA judge. Had to turn down the interview. Top 20%-ish at a T25.


I'm going to try saying, "Unfortunately no, however....what about a fall externship?" Anyone have any thoughts on this, I don't even know how externships work.


Might work if you're somewhat close to the judge's chambers during school. I know some people who have done externships with nearby state trial court judges. However, these judges are about three hours away so that was unrealistic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 pm

30 minutes on public transit, I just can't believe it... I was super unemployed last week, and now I've had three offers this week. It's practically APRIL! Don't these Honorable individuals know we have finals coming up!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

bronx DA or ny state trial judge?

also does anyone know if bronx DA would split summer

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bronx DA or ny state trial judge?

also does anyone know if bronx DA would split summer


What are you interested in doing?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm

I just had a phone interview and the guy asked me my height and weight (I'm a guy) to make sure I didn't look like a Jersey Shore person because I had weightlifting in my interests section. I cracked up laughing. So funny!

maybe I should take that off my resume??

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:14 pm

had an interview today--likely not getting it.
had another last friday and she said she will get back to me this week.
have another on wednesday, and then one with a state judge after about a week.

I hope I get a job soon. I havent applied to anything in a few days. I think I am just DONE with this application process

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

goosey wrote:had an interview today--likely not getting it.
had another last friday and she said she will get back to me this week.
have another on wednesday, and then one with a state judge after about a week.

I hope I get a job soon. I havent applied to anything in a few days. I think I am just DONE with this application process



I feel the same. I am just sick of it. I would rather focus on my studies! I feel like doing otherwise might hurt my grades and then hurt my chances for a job after graduation!

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Omerta » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

swc65 wrote:I just had a phone interview and the guy asked me my height and weight (I'm a guy) to make sure I didn't look like a Jersey Shore person because I had weightlifting in my interests section. I cracked up laughing. So funny!

maybe I should take that off my resume??


I have powerlifting as an interest on mine, certainly a great conversation starter. I think it's good; shows you can keep a balanced and healthy life--something missing among too many attorneys.

So I just accepted two RA positions today (both very solid professors); where does that rank on the OCI helpfulness scale? I want to clerk and I know that will be a huge help for getting personal recommendations, but I'm still a little fuzzy for how firms value it.

Main reason I'm concerned is because of statements like this
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I feel like everyone on TLS hates on RA positions, but I think its great. Personal relationship w/ my favorite faculty, enough money to cover food and rent, and flexible hours so I can enjoy what will likely be the last summer "break" I have for decades.

They're a good gig, I won't deny that. I just know for me (and likely for many others on TLS), RA gigs aren't really giving you exposure or experience in a real legal setting. It would be fine for the resume and I'm sure it won't hurt you down the road, but I want to actually see what firm/office life is like and be involved in some legal work. I'm ready to get out of the confines of legal academia and into the real world a little bit (even as just "the intern"), which is why I didn't bother with RA stuff.



The only reason I genuinely would not take an RA position is because of how poorly they're regarded by many attorneys I know. I remember I asked an attorney on a hiring committee at a firm I'd love to be at for advice and one of things he said was "Do not be a Research Assistant." He said it doesn't matter how 'interesting' the research is, it's rarely interesting to the employer.

Sure, it's merely the opinion of 10 or so attorneys that I know, and thus not representative, but it's enough for me to go for something more substantive.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Omerta wrote:
swc65 wrote:I just had a phone interview and the guy asked me my height and weight (I'm a guy) to make sure I didn't look like a Jersey Shore person because I had weightlifting in my interests section. I cracked up laughing. So funny!

maybe I should take that off my resume??


I have powerlifting as an interest on mine, certainly a great conversation starter. I think it's good; shows you can keep a balanced and healthy life--something missing among too many attorneys.

So I just accepted two RA positions today (both very solid professors); where does that rank on the OCI helpfulness scale? I want to clerk and I know that will be a huge help for getting personal recommendations, but I'm still a little fuzzy for how firms value it.

Main reason I'm concerned is because of statements like this
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I feel like everyone on TLS hates on RA positions, but I think its great. Personal relationship w/ my favorite faculty, enough money to cover food and rent, and flexible hours so I can enjoy what will likely be the last summer "break" I have for decades.

They're a good gig, I won't deny that. I just know for me (and likely for many others on TLS), RA gigs aren't really giving you exposure or experience in a real legal setting. It would be fine for the resume and I'm sure it won't hurt you down the road, but I want to actually see what firm/office life is like and be involved in some legal work. I'm ready to get out of the confines of legal academia and into the real world a little bit (even as just "the intern"), which is why I didn't bother with RA stuff.



The only reason I genuinely would not take an RA position is because of how poorly they're regarded by many attorneys I know. I remember I asked an attorney on a hiring committee at a firm I'd love to be at for advice and one of things he said was "Do not be a Research Assistant." He said it doesn't matter how 'interesting' the research is, it's rarely interesting to the employer.

Sure, it's merely the opinion of 10 or so attorneys that I know, and thus not representative, but it's enough for me to go for something more substantive.



I just dont want to do it because it will feel like I am in school all summer! I am so sick of school!

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 am

Omerta wrote:So I just accepted two RA positions today (both very solid professors); where does that rank on the OCI helpfulness scale? I want to clerk and I know that will be a huge help for getting personal recommendations, but I'm still a little fuzzy for how firms value it.

RAing will be more helpful for OCI than doing nothing for the summer from what I've gathered. And if those are your only options, the choice is clear, I wouldn't worry about it. It ranks significantly behind working for a judge or at a firm, though still better than doing nothing law related.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Still unemployed. Still checking my mail every single day, and e-mail every 10 seconds waiting to hear. The more time that goes by, the more confident I am that I'm not going to get any of the jobs I'm waiting on.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.