1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geist13

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Geist13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:No job yet... I'm getting a bit antsy. I filled out a ton of apps the last couple of days. I figure something will come along soon.... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Fuckin' better. I don't know where else to apply a this point besides just spamming all the local small firms I can find. Waiting on the two interviews I had this week but they said first week of April at the earliest (what the fuck).

By the way, do people's schools have lists of small firms that have hired first years in the past? I asked my CSO if they had any information about small firms and they said "do you know about martindale.com?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L around median at a T25, got an offer the other day that I don't really want to accept. I probably should, it's a good gig with a federal agency, but it's not an area (work-wise I mean, I'm fine with the location) I really want to be in (I didn't apply, they got my resume from another department that I applied to). I have to let them know by Monday. Accept and do it anyway? Accept and turn it down later if I get something I'd rather do (I applied to a bunch more and have been in contact with a few, though nothing solid yet)? Turn it down and hope for something else?

Couple of you might know who I am, but shhh.

Don't know who you are, but I think you should take it. It certainly won't hamstring you for future jobs. And you might love it, you never know.

Do you think you have a really good shot at anything better?

I'm the person from above. I ended up turning the offer down. I really didn't want it. Anyway, applied to a bunch more stuff while trying to decide, and got an interview today for a paid position doing stuff I'm interested in. Yeah, it's just an interview, but woot.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Still no job...

is this /self territory with it being the end of March?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Still no job...

No. A lot of places seem to just now be getting around to actually reviewing applications. Assuming you've been diligent in applying, there's still hope. If you haven't....eh, maybe /self.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:59 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Still no job...

No. A lot of places seem to just now be getting around to actually reviewing applications. Assuming you've been diligent in applying, there's still hope. If you haven't....eh, maybe /self.

+1. Don't freak out quite yet. Keep on it and something will come.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L around median at a T25, got an offer the other day that I don't really want to accept. I probably should, it's a good gig with a federal agency, but it's not an area (work-wise I mean, I'm fine with the location) I really want to be in (I didn't apply, they got my resume from another department that I applied to). I have to let them know by Monday. Accept and do it anyway? Accept and turn it down later if I get something I'd rather do (I applied to a bunch more and have been in contact with a few, though nothing solid yet)? Turn it down and hope for something else?

Couple of you might know who I am, but shhh.

Don't know who you are, but I think you should take it. It certainly won't hamstring you for future jobs. And you might love it, you never know.

Do you think you have a really good shot at anything better?

I'm the person from above. I ended up turning the offer down. I really didn't want it. Anyway, applied to a bunch more stuff while trying to decide, and got an interview today for a paid position doing stuff I'm interested in. Yeah, it's just an interview, but woot.

It's a dangerous game to play this close to the summer. But, sometimes risks pay off. From what I've seen about the job market so far, this isn't a good move for the average 1L. Most people couldn't really afford to be that picky.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Geist13 wrote:By the way, do people's schools have lists of small firms that have hired first years in the past? I asked my CSO if they had any information about small firms and they said "do you know about martindale.com?"

My school gave us this huge binder and included in it was a list of where 1Ls and 2Ls worked for 2009 and 2010 summers. We can go online and find out the names of these people and get contact info and what not.

Odd that they don't at least provide past employers.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Geist13 wrote:By the way, do people's schools have lists of small firms that have hired first years in the past? I asked my CSO if they had any information about small firms and they said "do you know about martindale.com?"

My school gave us this huge binder and included in it was a list of where 1Ls and 2Ls worked for 2009 and 2010 summers. We can go online and find out the names of these people and get contact info and what not.

Odd that they don't at least provide past employers.

Yeah, ours lists all the past employers on Symplicity, whether or not they're even looking this year or recruiting by OCI. Evidently your CSO doesn't want to help you very much.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 am

i got 2 interviews to jobs i applied to on symplicity in january yesterday. I already have a job, but just saying i guess theres still hope? weird that places wait so long, wouldn't they not want to pass up on the best applicants?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Had an interview for an RA spot today. My teacher said he's just picking arbitrarily, so it's nothing personal if you aren't picked.

Then I got a rejection from the one job I kind of had hope for. Even though it was paid, and likely too good for me.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Had an interview for an RA spot today. My teacher said he's just picking arbitrarily, so it's nothing personal if you aren't picked.

Then I got a rejection from the one job I kind of had hope for. Even though it was paid, and likely too good for me.

If he's picking arbitrarily, why did he both with interviews?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm

anyone know of any grant programs that public defender internships can qualify for?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey beach, you still unemployed?

hell yeah

:cry:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:54 pm

mythosopher wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Had an interview for an RA spot today. My teacher said he's just picking arbitrarily, so it's nothing personal if you aren't picked.

If he's picking arbitrarily, why did he both with interviews?

I couldn't figure that out either. The only thing he asked me anyway was my interest area. And then he talked for like 40 minutes and told me to compete in the write-on competition.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

In somewhat encouraging news, I just called my local courthouse. While it's just a trial court, they are essentially trying to create a position just for me, where I'd get to work with a number of judges. And I'd get to live at home, spend some time with my family, get some court experience. So, it would be pretty cool. Only awkward thing is she told me to call her on Monday if she doesn't get back to me, and, I didn't catch her name. She somehow knows my aunt (but it's a small town, so pretty much everyone knows her). Hopefully if I ask my aunt who works in that position she'll fill me in on the name.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Number of interviews offered in the 2 months prior to accepting my offer: 3.

Number of interviews offered 2 weeks since accepting my offer: 4.

The lesson is don't give up hope. This whole job this is insanely arbitrary.

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 am

I'm sure this has been discussed at length in many places...

But -

Paid SA gig or unpaid Federal Judge? Thoughts?

Both are not geographically ideal although both near where my law school is.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:14 am

Idk, I think paid SA gig if its a firm with 10+ attorneys in the office. Especially if it has ANY chance of leading to an offer.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

[quote="BarbellDreams"]Idk, I think paid SA gig if its a firm with 10+ attorneys in the office. Especially if it has ANY chance of leading to an offer.[/quote

Personally, I'd go with the federal judge, but that's because there are very few people in my preferred practice area that are in firms.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 am

ms2010 wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed at length in many places...

But -

Would need more info (e.g. is the judge Richard Posner or is it some magistrate in D-NV, is the firm a two attorney personal injury firm in South Dakota or is it a V10, etc.)

All else being equal, I might go for the paid SA gig. It might also depend on whether you wanted to clerk after graduation.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ms2010 wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed at length in many places...

But -

Would need more info (e.g. is the judge Richard Posner or is it some magistrate in D-NV, is the firm a two attorney personal injury firm in South Dakota or is it a V10, etc.)

All else being equal, I might go for the paid SA gig. It might also depend on whether you wanted to clerk after graduation.

This.

If this SA gig is with a decent firm and will offer the possibility of permanent employment, then I'd say go with the SA gig.

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 pm

It's with a mid-size firm, but I know that I do not want to work for the firm because of the type of practice/geography.

The Judge is a Federal Judge in the tri-state area (but not in NYC).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

I've got a federal judge internship for second half of summer and I need to line up one for first half of summer. Any suggestions?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got SA offer for the second half of the summer, have one for the first half also. Both in Texas. Both V100. Probably just outside top quarter at UT/Vandy. Not URM.

I've got a federal judge internship for second half of summer and I need to line up one for first half of summer. Any suggestions?

Why can't you just extend it a couple weeks so it looks like an extra month is added on, and then take a couple weeks off for the write-on competition?

Return to “Legal Employment”