1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Send them a follow-up e-mail. The same thing happened to me (2 nonpaying offers and paying position pending). I sent them an e-mail asking where they were in the selection process. I told them I had other offers but emphasized they were my first choice. A day later I got an e-mail back saying that they will be making a selection soon. Today (5 days after sending my first e-mail), I received an offer.

DallasCowboy wrote:What happens when a firm specifically tells you the will let you know "this week," and then they fail to do so? I have offers at non-paying gigs that I told I would give my decision by the end of the week.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm

OGR3 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:I sent in 5 total; got 1 for the summer.

That is an excellent return on investment.

We'll see how this gig turns out at 2L OCIs and then conclude whether if that was a good investment LoL.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
romothesavior wrote:(and I sent out about 100 apps/inquiries)

Holy shit thats a lot. I guess I was fortunate.

100 apps is not a lot. My 2L job search will make that look like a pittance.

edit -

I was sending them out in batches of 50; sent out maybe 300? 200 of that fairly non-competitive, 100 of that fairly competitive, ended up with my top choice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
romothesavior wrote:(and I sent out about 100 apps/inquiries)

Holy shit thats a lot. I guess I was fortunate.

100 apps is not a lot. My 2L job search will make that look like a pittance.

Yeah not all of them were applications. A lot of them were just email or phone call inquiries.

Next year for my 2L job search, that number will probably triple.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:

You mean end of this summer? :shock:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes, mostly this summer. I meant like for my job search for next summer.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes, mostly this summer. I meant like for my job search for next summer.

Nah, I meant that the job search renews itself for the end of this summer because of fall OCI....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Nah, I meant that the job search renews itself for the end of this summer because of fall OCI....

I know this. And I am not looking forward to this.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Nah, I meant that the job search renews itself for the end of this summer because of fall OCI....

I know this. And I am not looking forward to this.

+1. And still no NALP update :(.

Also, my 1L job search was extremely painless. I don't expect the same for 2L.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 pm

keg411 wrote:
Also, my 1L job search was extremely painless. I don't expect the same for 2L.

+1

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Just got a call from a firm that was supposed to interview me. They already filled the position, and just "went ahead and canceled."

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Just got a call from a firm that was supposed to interview me. They already filled the position, and just "went ahead and canceled."

:( lame.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm

All in all:

30 applications
4 interviews
1 offer

What I've learned from all this, cover letters matter a whole lot to someone with a weak resume (me) during 1L. By the end of the process I had refined my basic cover letters (I had one geared towards criminal defense, one geared towards consumer rights). The interviews I got were from my good cover letters. The generic crap I wrote for to DA, City Attorney Offices, and AG offices, didn't amount to anything. Course, that's just my impression.... I could easily be wrong.

I didn't apply to any firms though, I doubt the PI/Gov't process is identical to the firm process.

To the guys that applied to firms, do you think it's more about meeting some basic quality level (as far as application presentation like a cover letter), but then sending out high quantity apps (100+)?

To guys that applied to PI/Gov't, what do you think was best?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 pm

traehekat wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Just got a call from a firm that was supposed to interview me. They already filled the position, and just "went ahead and canceled."

:( lame.

Umm humm. :(

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:45 pm

wow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Offer from a State trial judge.

Still waiting to hear back from federal/state appellate/etc.

1) Would you just take it this late in the ballgame?

2) Will the fact that it's just a trial court hurt me at all in OCI next fall?

Thanks guys.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from a State trial judge.

Still waiting to hear back from federal/state appellate/etc.

1) Would you just take it this late in the ballgame?

2) Will the fact that it's just a trial court hurt me at all in OCI next fall?

Thanks guys.

I personally, am taking the first thing I get. I mean, wait as long as you can to respond, and e-mail the other judge telling them you have another offer. If you still don't hear anything back take this. A job is better than no job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Need input. Received a voice-mail from an employer today asking if I had accepted another offer (I sent them an email last week stating that I had a competing offer but they were my first choice). The person stated that they planned on extended the offer tomorrow and wanted to know if I was still available and then something about they wanted to see if I needed anymore information. I am trying to figure out alternative reasons as to why they would have called. I can only think that I will be getting the offer tomorrow, but I don't want to get too excited.

PS. I called back and left a voice-mail stating that I had not accepted the competing offer and would accept an offer from them if I received one.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Borhas wrote:All in all:

30 applications
4 interviews
1 offer

What I've learned from all this, cover letters matter a whole lot to someone with a weak resume (me) during 1L. By the end of the process I had refined my basic cover letters (I had one geared towards criminal defense, one geared towards consumer rights). The interviews I got were from my good cover letters. The generic crap I wrote for to DA, City Attorney Offices, and AG offices, didn't amount to anything. Course, that's just my impression.... I could easily be wrong.

I didn't apply to any firms though, I doubt the PI/Gov't process is identical to the firm process.

To the guys that applied to firms, do you think it's more about meeting some basic quality level (as far as application presentation like a cover letter), but then sending out high quantity apps (100+)?

I agree with you, the cover letters that I spent a lot of time on and really used to highlight why my prior work experience made me a good fit were absolutely the jobs I got interviews for. I wasn't even expecting an interview from the place that now I'm going to be working at this summer, and I think a big part of getting my foot in the door was my cover letter.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at over 40 apps, 8 interviews down, 1 possibility still pending but unlikely, and frighteningly unemployed. Finals start in 4 weeks. I have three interviews at the end of this week. School stipend deadlines have passed, meaning I can't even get that.

Also at an interview I went to last week, the interview committee congratulated me on my "excellent GPA." I hope my face didn't betray how hilarious that notion is, considering I have a 3.33 and at my school, that's median.

i can now stop complaining because the terrible interview I went to above just made an offer. huzzah!

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm

keg411 wrote:
Also, my 1L job search was extremely painless.

Exact opposite for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at over 40 apps, 8 interviews down, 1 possibility still pending but unlikely, and frighteningly unemployed. Finals start in 4 weeks. I have three interviews at the end of this week. School stipend deadlines have passed, meaning I can't even get that.

Also at an interview I went to last week, the interview committee congratulated me on my "excellent GPA." I hope my face didn't betray how hilarious that notion is, considering I have a 3.33 and at my school, that's median.

i can now stop complaining because the terrible interview I went to above just made an offer. huzzah!

oh, and i seriously thought this interview went so poorly i didn't even send a thank-you/follow-up email. apparently jobs are just as arbitrary as grades.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Borhas wrote:All in all:

30 applications
4 interviews
1 offer

I agree with you, the cover letters that I spent a lot of time on and really used to highlight why my prior work experience made me a good fit were absolutely the jobs I got interviews for. I wasn't even expecting an interview from the place that now I'm going to be working at this summer, and I think a big part of getting my foot in the door was my cover letter.

+1

Generic cover letters, unless truly awesome grades and/or school, and/or serious connections, won't cut it for 1L jobs (and probably not later either). Personal stats: 125 apps, 4 interviews, 2 offers = just accepted offer with a boutique firm in my T1's market. Feel super lucky to finally be able to focus on studying again and not worry so god damn much about 1L summer...

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Just landed my absolute dream summer job. Good luck all! To those still stressing, I was on edge for the past few weeks. Keep at it, it will come!

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm

No job yet... I'm getting a bit antsy. I filled out a ton of apps the last couple of days. I figure something will come along soon.... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Return to “Legal Employment”