1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SkepticalHippo

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby SkepticalHippo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

State COA judge needs to know by tomorrow if I intend to intern, but I have an interview with a fed district judge next week. Should I take COA and end this now, or opt out, go to the interview with the federal judge and risk ending up with nothing?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

SkepticalHippo wrote:State COA judge needs to know by tomorrow if I intend to intern, but I have an interview with a fed district judge next week. Should I take COA and end this now, or opt out, go to the interview with the federal judge and risk ending up with nothing?

I would take the offer you have, its almost April.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
SkepticalHippo wrote:State COA judge needs to know by tomorrow if I intend to intern, but I have an interview with a fed district judge next week. Should I take COA and end this now, or opt out, go to the interview with the federal judge and risk ending up with nothing?

I would take the offer you have, its almost April.

+1

SkepticalHippo

Postby SkepticalHippo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Will is put me at any kind of disadvantage to have a state COA instead of a federal judicial internship?

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:36 pm

SkepticalHippo wrote:Will is put me at any kind of disadvantage to have a state COA instead of a federal judicial internship?

Fed> State > Nothing

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 pm

SkepticalHippo wrote:Will is put me at any kind of disadvantage to have a state COA instead of a federal judicial internship?

Not that I know of. The vast majority of information I have gotten (OCS, hiring partners, other students) is that what you do your 1L summer doesn't really matter. Obviously, if you do something real cool or out of the ordinary it will be something good to talk about during interviews, but I don't think having a state COA internship will be a negative. I'd venture and say I know it wont.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Just had an interview..was told they'll get back to me in a couple of weeks. Now I'm "on hold" at two different places until mid April. Another interview on Friday and then one on Monday. I hope one of these works out, or I am s-c-r-e-w-e-d.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:55 pm

yes fed is better all else equal, but all else isn't equal (bird in hand blah blah blah)

Not a disadvantage in any sense of the word though...
Last edited by Borhas on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Borhas wrote:

yes fed is better all else equal, but all else isn't equal (bird in hand blah blah blah)

I prefer a bird in a can.

--ImageRemoved--

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/04/a-w ... can-yummo/

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

State COA is fine, especially if it's a state you want to work in.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Still unemployed, LOL

Went from missing out on a summer SA position by one spot to being unemployed with no leads for 1.5 months.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:Still unemployed, LOL

Ditto. :( Still trying to send out letters and resumes to smaller firms/orgs in hopes that I'll magically get something.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Went from missing out on a summer SA position by one spot to being unemployed with no leads for 1.5 months.

You'll be good dude, hang in there. I went from not even a nibble for 2-3 months (and I sent out about 100 apps/inquiries) to getting two fish in the boat in the same day.

If you were able to impress that firm like you did, I'm sure others will be impressed as well.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:(and I sent out about 100 apps/inquiries)

Holy shit thats a lot. I guess I was fortunate.

Postby 174 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Still spamming every in-house position I can find and sending cover letters to professors for RA positions. 60+ apps and 1 interview lol. I might have a solo crim law gig lined up, but it is unpaid and don't know if I should go for it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:40 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

I think I sent in 80+ job apps.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Today I got an interview request from a place OCI said had already selected candidates. So, I don't know if no one took the position or if OCI lied. Either way, this makes me happy because as I was writing my cover letter, I decided I was basically perfect and was utterly confused when I thought I didn't even get an interview. I had every qualification on their little check list. Like, history of working with local and state politicians. Check. Knowledge of schools policies. Check. Ect, ect. But, the interview isn't for another two weeks. And Its on the day my motion is due, so, I'm thinking I might be too exhausted for it to go well. Hopefully by then though, I've heard back from some other places.
/me updating this thread with my every employment thought/concern/news item.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

I think I sent in 80+ job apps.

I sent 87 total. Got 5 interviews out of it but it landed me exactly what I wanted. I'd say unless connections or luck 50+ apps is pretty standard.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I sent in 5 total; got 1 for the summer.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I sent in 5 total; got 1 for the summer.

That is an excellent return on investment.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm gonna guestimate about 60-65 apps. A number of other dead end inquiries (particularly when I was trying to do Fashion law). Thus far I've had: 1 interview where I got a job that the interviewer told me, flat out, that I should use it as a last resort. And then 10 other interviews. Of those, I've had 6. 3 rejections. 3 I'm still waiting on.

Also, looking at the interview I have tomorrows cover letter, I noticed a glaring typo in the first sentence. Glad that didn't fuck me over. haha.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I'm gonna guestimate about 60-65 apps. A number of other dead end inquiries (particularly when I was trying to do Fashion law). Thus far I've had: 1 interview where I got a job that the interviewer told me, flat out, that I should use it as a last resort. And then 10 other interviews. Of those, I've had 6. 3 rejections. 3 I'm still waiting on.

Also, looking at the interview I have tomorrows cover letter, I noticed a glaring typo in the first sentence. Glad that didn't fuck me over. haha.

Unless its too private, mind I ask what exactly could be such a bad job that the interviewer themselves tell you to take it as a last resort?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I'm gonna guestimate about 60-65 apps. A number of other dead end inquiries (particularly when I was trying to do Fashion law). Thus far I've had: 1 interview where I got a job that the interviewer told me, flat out, that I should use it as a last resort. And then 10 other interviews. Of those, I've had 6. 3 rejections. 3 I'm still waiting on.

Unless its too private, mind I ask what exactly could be such a bad job that the interviewer themselves tell you to take it as a last resort?

It was just odd. I come in, the guy talks the whole time, and doesn't ask me any questions. Basically said "You don't appear to have purple hair, so you can work here." I guess he just thought it wouldn't be worth it for me, because it would only be part time, I'd have to move to a different city, and I'd wind up having to do a lot of (i.e - vast majority) clerical work.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

I probably sent out 175 or so. 150 to judges and then at least 25 more to DA offices / in-house stuff when I started to panic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm at over 40 apps, 8 interviews down, 1 possibility still pending but unlikely, and frighteningly unemployed. Finals start in 4 weeks. I have three interviews at the end of this week. School stipend deadlines have passed, meaning I can't even get that.

Also at an interview I went to last week, the interview committee congratulated me on my "excellent GPA." I hope my face didn't betray how hilarious that notion is, considering I have a 3.33 and at my school, that's median.

Return to “Legal Employment”