1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dudders

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby dudders » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:31 pm

i just saw a prospective student on a tour with his dad (complete with fanny pack).
thanks to that kid for making me feel better about not having a job for AT LEAST 15 seconds.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:29 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I had an interview yesterday with two people. But, I don't think I ever heard the second interviewers name. How should I handle that in the thank-you note?

edit: Also, the interviewer seemed extremely casual. Should I still go for the professional thank you?

If it's a fairly small firm, you might could go through the attorney profiles and look at the names to match them with a face. If it's a larger firm and you know the specific department or office the second interviewer works in, you could search by that. To answer the second question, that's a personal decision. I only sent thank you notes to the small firms I interviewed with because they seemed to expect it. I didn't send anything to larger firms. I got callbacks and offers from both the large and small firms. If it feels right, do it. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Its a company, and the website seems to lack a bit about employees. I guess I could not send the thank-you. They seemed young, and like they wouldn't expect it, even like it might be a tad awkward to do. I just wanted to remind them I exist.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Just opened up the ABA Journal and there is an article called "What America's Lawyers Earn." I was shocked to see that my hometown is featured in it, and the market supposedly compares favorably with some larger markets. I think the data is likely very skewed due to the presence of a large Fortune 50 company being headquartered there (they have a HUGE legal department), but now I'm interested in finding out how much their firms start out at.

My SO just got high-paying job there, and I have tons of contacts and connections in town. If my debt would be manageable working there, I'd love to do it.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm

What happens when a firm specifically tells you the will let you know "this week," and then they fail to do so? I have offers at non-paying gigs that I told I would give my decision by the end of the week.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:00 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:What happens when a firm specifically tells you the will let you know "this week," and then they fail to do so? I have offers at non-paying gigs that I told I would give my decision by the end of the week.

Usually that the rejection letter is in the mail and it didn't get there in time. Every time I called in and was told "you'll hear later this week" I ended up with a rejection letter end of the week/beginning of the next.

Brighter news on my job front at least. Since the federal judges I applied to apparently forgot to hire 1Ls I'm going to double RA with two great professors and do some volunteer work over the summer.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:What happens when a firm specifically tells you the will let you know "this week," and then they fail to do so? I have offers at non-paying gigs that I told I would give my decision by the end of the week.

Had an in-house interview where I was told the same thing. 2 weeks went by, heard nothing. Next day, rejection.

Just my experience...

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Just got good news that I'll be allowed to work an extra week since I'm starting a week later than expected. Good to hear!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm

For me it meant that my rejection letter was coming next week. Don't keep your hopes up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 am

I agree with everyone else, but I just wanted to add that you have a great username.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:48 am

dreamt I got two interviews with judges that I didnt know about and missed. Went to the office to try and clarify and meant to just speak to the secretary and decided to wear flip flops and not really dress properly because I was "just dropping in" [?] and wound up running into the judge. By then I had rescheduled with the secretary. He asked me a few questions about school and then said "ok well I guess I'll see you soon. But X, will you do me a favor? Just cancel your interview"

Crying ensued.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 am

Does anybody know what protocol is after you accept a firm job? I accepted last week via phone... now do I just wait for something in the mail?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 am

goosey wrote:dreamt I got two interviews with judges that I didnt know about and missed. Went to the office to try and clarify and meant to just speak to the secretary and decided to wear flip flops and not really dress properly because I was "just dropping in" [?] and wound up running into the judge. By then I had rescheduled with the secretary. He asked me a few questions about school and then said "ok well I guess I'll see you soon. But X, will you do me a favor? Just cancel your interview"

Crying ensued.

I'm confused by this. So he said he'll see you soon, then asked you to cancel the interview right away? That seems quite awkward and if a judge acted that way you wouldn't want to spend an entire summer working closely with him and his clerks anyway, so no need to be upset.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Finished!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 pm

goosey wrote:dreamt I got two interviews with judges that I didnt know about and missed. Went to the office to try and clarify and meant to just speak to the secretary and decided to wear flip flops and not really dress properly because I was "just dropping in" [?] and wound up running into the judge. By then I had rescheduled with the secretary. He asked me a few questions about school and then said "ok well I guess I'll see you soon. But X, will you do me a favor? Just cancel your interview"

Crying ensued.

I'm slightly confused - you had a dream about interviews. To make sure you were just dreaming, you visited one of the judges' offices in overly-casual apparel and were told bluntly to simply not even interview?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Unitas wrote:

Crying ensued.

I'm confused by this. So he said he'll see you soon, then asked you to cancel the interview right away? That seems quite awkward and if a judge acted that way you wouldn't want to spend an entire summer working closely with him and his clerks anyway, so no need to be upset.

that's just how things go on the Nocturnal Circuit

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Crying ensued.

that's just how things go on the Nocturnal Circuit

I was up all night drinking... That first word I imagined wouldn't be important. I was wrong... Fail on my part.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 pm

running into the judge. By then I had rescheduled with the secretary. He asked me a few questions about school and then said "ok well I guess I'll see you soon. But X, will you do me a favor? Just cancel your interview"

see you soon means the judge thought he'll see him in court, probably accused of possession of marijuana or urinating in public

$0.02

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I agree with everyone else, but I just wanted to add that you have a great username.

2L Perspective:

I generally agree, but wanted to add that things really aren't so hard and fast. I've had the "we'll let you know in a week" thing extend for more than a month and then turn into an offer.

I've also had one really strange situation where I only interviewed for about 10 minutes and was told at the end to let them know if I got any offers. I didn't contact hem, they didn't contact me...three months later I get a phone call with an offer (funny enough I accepted and am working there this summer).

Just don't sweat this stuff too much (I know that's easier said than done).

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just wait it out for a couple more days.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 am

Today's rejection came from a place that I know for a fact has hired people with lower grades, and less relevant work experience. FML. I keep toying with the idea of sending out more apps to some cool jobs that have popped up, but, I'm currently waiting on hearing back from 3 places, and have 3 interviews this week, so, I don't know if its worth it or not.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Today's rejection came from a place that I know for a fact has hired people with lower grades, and less relevant work experience. FML. I keep toying with the idea of sending out more apps to some cool jobs that have popped up, but, I'm currently waiting on hearing back from 3 places, and have 3 interviews this week, so, I don't know if its worth it or not.

I know people below median that got jobs at places where I didn't even get an interview. This whole employment thing is beyond arbitrary honestly. Though 6 options is a lot so you're still in a good spot.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Today's rejection came from a place that I know for a fact has hired people with lower grades, and less relevant work experience. FML. I keep toying with the idea of sending out more apps to some cool jobs that have popped up, but, I'm currently waiting on hearing back from 3 places, and have 3 interviews this week, so, I don't know if its worth it or not.

I know people below median that got jobs at places where I didn't even get an interview. This whole employment thing is beyond arbitrary honestly. Though 6 options is a lot so you're still in a good spot.

Agreed. I hardly get it. Anyway, 6 could be a lot, but, with how unpredictable everything is, who knows. I still think it's possible that I get rejected from all 6. Perhaps, if come tomorrow I've gotten a rejection from one of them (I should be hearing some time this week) I'll send out more apps.

edit: I forgot, I also interviewed with a gov. agency that told me I would hear by late-April. So, I guess 7 potential options. But, I really need to start focusing on studying for finals, so this job thing needs to be over.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Agreed. I hardly get it. Anyway, 6 could be a lot, but, with how unpredictable everything is, who knows. I still think it's possible that I get rejected from all 6. Perhaps, if come tomorrow I've gotten a rejection from one of them (I should be hearing some time this week) I'll send out more apps.

edit: I forgot, I also interviewed with a gov. agency that told me I would hear by late-April. So, I guess 7 potential options. But, I really need to start focusing on studying for finals, so this job thing needs to be over.

Never hurts to send out apps...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Never hurts to send out apps...

It does when finals are 6 weeks away and its really time to turn it up. At least in my opinion.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
It does when finals are 6 weeks away and its really time to turn it up. At least in my opinion.

Are they really that close...oh jeez...no life for the next 6 weeks...

Return to “Legal Employment”