1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phonepro

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

there's been like 30 jobs posted on symplicity at my school in the past few days.. about 7 of them are small firms (10-20). Don't lose hope :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Just got a call from the NYC Law Department to come interview. Here we go!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 pm

goosey wrote:
keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Ex-gf is currently hustling firm offers for me as back up options. Mostly small firm personal injury stuff, but I suppose if all of my RA apps fall through it'll be better than nothing. It's nice to have a well-connected ex.

That's extremely nice of her :).

Also, congrats to the poster who accepted the equity and probate judge. I had one of those interviews and thought it sounded like a really good summer opportunity.

wow somebody on here got a probate judge? I wanted to try for probate judges but my career counselor told me they generally like people with some tax classes under their belt. Will def try for an externship though after next semester. congratulations.

ps: after I posted complaining about not having anything [I had just sent a million apps out], one of the places I applied to called for an interview. That always seems to happen. I think I need to up my complaining game on tls--every time I do it I get an interview

Thanks! The judge was pretty laid back and didn't mention the fact that I have yet to take a tax class. I'm not sure if every probate judge is so lax, but it never hurts to apply.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

phonepro wrote:there's been like 30 jobs posted on symplicity at my school in the past few days.. about 7 of them are small firms (10-20). Don't lose hope :)

yeah same here..a lot of small firm jobs are popping up all over the place. Our CSO told us this is the hiring window for small firms and if thats what we want then we should be patient and not freak out, but I think nobody believed them haha. Hopefully the pool of available applicants has dwindled down

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

goosey wrote:
phonepro wrote:there's been like 30 jobs posted on symplicity at my school in the past few days.. about 7 of them are small firms (10-20). Don't lose hope :)

yeah same here..a lot of small firm jobs are popping up all over the place. Our CSO told us this is the hiring window for small firms and if thats what we want then we should be patient and not freak out, but I think nobody believed them haha. Hopefully the pool of available applicants has dwindled down

Only about 20-30% of 1Ls have internships lined up at this point...the rest are still looking. Thank god my search is halfway done...

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
goosey wrote:

Only about 20-30% of 1Ls have internships lined up at this point...the rest are still looking. Thank god my search is halfway done...

seriously?

I feel like evvvveryone has something already. except for me. ha. and those who don't are wearing suits every other day so they will likely have something sooner rather than later.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm

goosey wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
goosey wrote:

seriously?

I feel like evvvveryone has something already. except for me. ha. and those who don't are wearing suits every other day so they will likely have something sooner rather than later.

Yeah, about mid Feb. it was like 15%...but I've noticed people getting them left and right now that hiring is picking up.

Edit: These are law-school wide stats and certainly the percentages are likely higher at higher ranked schools.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 am

Everyone in my school that I've talked to has jobs and everyone else has plenty of interviews judging by their suits. I've been completely stressed about it, and super jealous because they're all either with the fed government or these huge telecom companies, and they're all in exactly the geographic location that I NEED to be this summer. Or else I'll explode and/or otherwise die. Also they actually have time for their papers and their homework AND sleep, because they don't have to apply for countless jobs a day. And my friends who have these nice cushy jobs? They're the WORST. Because I have to be happy for them and it's so hard.

The last time we had a symplicity cycle/fair/thing I got one alternate position for an interview (but no actual interview of course) and I applied for 14+ positions. This time was the gov't and small business cycle. I got 3 interviews, and I applied for 5. HOPE! But I made a huge faux pas and put the wrong organization name right in the smack dab middle of one of my cover letters =/
I also sent out a random email to a law firm I found while researching a topic this morning... it resulted in 7 emails. They said they hadn't had summer associates in 2 years, but that I stood out because I had strange legal interests for a 1L and they really want their practice heads to be aware of me. That's good, right? In case they decide the economy doesn't suck any more?

PS. Picking classes for next year is like doing logic games. But worse because instead of 5 rules to worry about there are 15. I just hopped out of bed to rework my ENTIRE schedule because I realized I broke a rule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:40 am

Can anyone help me out with this situation. I have an offer from a civil court trial judge in Manhattan and a magistrate district court judge in a district court outside of NYC (PA/CT/NJ). The magistrate judge seems to be very well connected and even mentioned that most of her former interns get hooked up with firms, USAO, etc. However, the court is outside of where I'd like to practice (NYC). The trial court judge seems to have the interns doing more interesting work, but seems less connected. Is it always better to take the district court position over the trial court just because of prestige? If someone has been in this position before or anyone can provide insight that would be great.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am

sibley wrote:Everyone in my school that I've talked to has jobs and everyone else has plenty of interviews judging by their suits. I've been completely stressed about it, and super jealous because they're all either with the fed government or these huge telecom companies, and they're all in exactly the geographic location that I NEED to be this summer. Or else I'll explode and/or otherwise die. Also they actually have time for their papers and their homework AND sleep, because they don't have to apply for countless jobs a day. And my friends who have these nice cushy jobs? They're the WORST. Because I have to be happy for them and it's so hard.

The last time we had a symplicity cycle/fair/thing I got one alternate position for an interview (but no actual interview of course) and I applied for 14+ positions. This time was the gov't and small business cycle. I got 3 interviews, and I applied for 5. HOPE! But I made a huge faux pas and put the wrong organization name right in the smack dab middle of one of my cover letters =/
I also sent out a random email to a law firm I found while researching a topic this morning... it resulted in 7 emails. They said they hadn't had summer associates in 2 years, but that I stood out because I had strange legal interests for a 1L and they really want their practice heads to be aware of me. That's good, right? In case they decide the economy doesn't suck any more?

PS. Picking classes for next year is like doing logic games. But worse because instead of 5 rules to worry about there are 15. I just hopped out of bed to rework my ENTIRE schedule because I realized I broke a rule.

I am having trouble remembering if you decided on bls in the end. If so, I know EXACTLY what you mean..it does seem like everyone either has something or has a million interviews. Just send out more apps--I am now at over 50 apps and 4 interviews. I just hope I get an offer from one of the last 3. This makes me concerned about finding a job after for after graduation---if people aren't even willing to hire me for FREE, a paying job doesn't seem very promising.

In any case, don't worry. There's a lot more stuff being posted on symplicity these days.

Also, how are you registering for classes already? :-o we dnt register till summer(this makes me think you decided against bls)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone help me out with this situation. I have an offer from a civil court trial judge in Manhattan and a magistrate district court judge in a district court outside of NYC (PA/CT/NJ). The magistrate judge seems to be very well connected and even mentioned that most of her former interns get hooked up with firms, USAO, etc. However, the court is outside of where I'd like to practice (NYC). The trial court judge seems to have the interns doing more interesting work, but seems less connected. Is it always better to take the district court position over the trial court just because of prestige? If someone has been in this position before or anyone can provide insight that would be great.

Bump. Similar situation.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone help me out with this situation. I have an offer from a civil court trial judge in Manhattan and a magistrate district court judge in a district court outside of NYC (PA/CT/NJ). The magistrate judge seems to be very well connected and even mentioned that most of her former interns get hooked up with firms, USAO, etc. However, the court is outside of where I'd like to practice (NYC). The trial court judge seems to have the interns doing more interesting work, but seems less connected. Is it always better to take the district court position over the trial court just because of prestige? If someone has been in this position before or anyone can provide insight that would be great.

Bump. Similar situation.

I would say it's more like the same situation....

I don't see any reason to bump your own post that is the next to last post on a page.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Only about 20-30% of 1Ls have internships lined up at this point...the rest are still looking. Thank god my search is halfway done...

Yeah, about mid Feb. it was like 15%...but I've noticed people getting them left and right now that hiring is picking up.

Edit: These are law-school wide stats and certainly the percentages are likely higher at higher ranked schools.

Wow. 20-30%? That's a little scary considering it's the later half of March. I would estimate that probably something like 90 to +95% of the people here have something lined up, but can't be certain.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Only about 20-30% of 1Ls have internships lined up at this point...the rest are still looking. Thank god my search is halfway done...

Wow. 20-30%? That's a little scary considering it's the later half of March. I would estimate that probably something like 90 to +95% of the people here have something lined up, but can't be certain.

Most of my friends have stuff lined up, but I wouldn't guess NU is anywhere near 95% sure at this point. Granted, I actually have no clue, but that seems like a ridiculously high number.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Most of my friends have stuff lined up, but I wouldn't guess NU is anywhere near 95% sure at this point. Granted, I actually have no clue, but that seems like a ridiculously high number.

Maybe it's just the circle of people I know? I might know one person who doesn't have something locked down yet.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Maybe it's just the circle of people I know? I might know one person who doesn't have something locked down yet.

It's more like 50% now...according to our CSO (NYLS so our #s are probably lower than most) Apparently my percentages I gave were wrong.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bump. Similar situation.

I would say it's more like the same situation....

I don't see any reason to bump your own post that is the next to last post on a page.

lol...anonymous user fail...

Anyways, go for the magistrate judge. Federal court system, more connections, and you don't have to be in your target market your 1L summer...it definitely helps...but the connections (IMHO) and the prestige outweigh the location of a state court...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:It's more like 50% now...according to our CSO (NYLS so our #s are probably lower than most) Apparently my percentages I gave were wrong.

I wouldn't be so quick to let that proof lead you to admit that you were wrong.

Also, I think +1 to the magistrate/trial judge question.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:30 pm

There's still tons of people here (including me) who don't have anything lined up. I keep telling myself that it's okay because of that, but the cold grip of panic is choking my neck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Got a job today! I actually got two offers today, and accepted one in my desired market. Don't want to out myself more than I already am on TLS, so anyone interested can PM me for details (although it is nothing too exciting, at least not compared to most of the people ITT).

Also, I highly doubt anywhere near 90% of 1Ls at any school have anything lined up. A lot of local government agencies and small firms haven't even started interviewing. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of WUSTL 1Ls have something lined up (rough guess), and I know last year the number of people who did something legal during 1L was in the 90%+ range. Most of my friends have something lined up, but a handful of them are still looking. I'm sure all of them will get something though.

It certainly isn't early in the hiring cycle, but it isn't late either. I think everyone who is still looking for a job should just take a deep breath and keep at it, and everyone telling them that they are screwed or that it's "late in the game" should chill. Lot's of people don't get a job until late March or even April.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm

just got another interview.

::wipes sweat off forehead::

I think its game time now.

Now I have an interview tomorrow, one next friday, and then one the following Monday. hope something pans out. At least the interviews will hold me over until the last place I interviewed gets back to me

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:It certainly isn't early in the hiring cycle, but it isn't late either. I think everyone who is still looking for a job should just take a deep breath and keep at it, and everyone telling them that they are screwed or that it's "late in the game" should chill. Lot's of people don't get a job until late March or even April.

I think a lot depends on what you want to do. Want to intern for an Article III judge in a competitive district? Yeah, the game might in fact be effectively over. Same for a lot of the top-notch government stuff. But then again, in the long run, it doesn't matter that much as long as it's something legal and it gives you some good stories to tell over OCI (or whatever you pubic interest people do). No need to sweat it.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:Got a job today! I actually got two offers today, and accepted one in my desired market. Don't want to out myself more than I already am on TLS, so anyone interested can PM me for details (although it is nothing too exciting, at least not compared to most of the people ITT).

Also, I highly doubt anywhere near 90% of 1Ls at any school have anything lined up. A lot of local government agencies and small firms haven't even started interviewing. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of WUSTL 1Ls have something lined up (rough guess), and I know last year the number of people who did something legal during 1L was in the 90%+ range. Most of my friends have something lined up, but a handful of them are still looking. I'm sure all of them will get something though.

It certainly isn't early in the hiring cycle, but it isn't late either. I think everyone who is still looking for a job should just take a deep breath and keep at it, and everyone telling them that they are screwed or that it's "late in the game" should chill. Lot's of people don't get a job until late March or even April.

w00t!

PM please.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I think a lot depends on what you want to do. Want to intern for an Article III judge in a competitive district? Yeah, the game might in fact be effectively over. Same for a lot of the top-notch government stuff. But then again, in the long run, it doesn't matter that much as long as it's something legal and it gives you some good stories to tell over OCI (or whatever you pubic interest people do). No need to sweat it.

Yeah very true. Little chance that anyone is getting a big firm SA, prestigious government job, or big time judicial internship this late in the game. But most small firms and local government agencies seem like they are just getting into the swing of hiring. I received two offers and got invited to interview (all today) and I've heard from a number of government agencies in my secondary market that they will be doing interviews in late March or early April. And I know a lot of my friends are still looking for jobs and they have interviews lined up.

I just don't want anyone stressing out too much, because there is still a lot of opportunity. The worst part is just the ridiculous amount of time and energy... So glad that's over.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I think a lot depends on what you want to do. Want to intern for an Article III judge in a competitive district? Yeah, the game might in fact be effectively over. Same for a lot of the top-notch government stuff. But then again, in the long run, it doesn't matter that much as long as it's something legal and it gives you some good stories to tell over OCI (or whatever you pubic interest people do). No need to sweat it.

Yeah very true. Little chance that anyone is getting a big firm SA, prestigious government job, or big time judicial internship this late in the game. But most small firms and local government agencies seem like they are just getting into the swing of hiring. I received two offers and got invited to interview (all today) and I've heard from a number of government agencies in my secondary market that they will be doing interviews in late March or early April. And I know a lot of my friends are still looking for jobs and they have interviews lined up.

I just don't want anyone stressing out too much, because there is still a lot of opportunity. The worst part is just the ridiculous amount of time and energy... So glad that's over.

+1

I think the worst thing now is not being able to get some super-prestigious job, it's having to worry about this crap while finals are quickly approaching.

Anyway, best of luck, everybody still looking. :lol:

And congrats on the job, romo (I don't think I mentioned that in my first post)

Return to “Legal Employment”