1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 2L or 3L care to comment on the utility of splitting a 1L summer? Do you think it's viewed as a negative by employers during 2L OCI? I'm wondering if they'd have the notion that someone splitting a summer spent too little time at each internship to complete substantive work.

Both are great opportunities. Both in different markets, but I really want to create ties to one of the markets. Currently have no connection to that market.

I'd really like someone to answer this since I am splitting my summer

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Paid SA position accepted 3 minutes ago! TLS was obviously the first place I was going to come to announce this! I am borderline shaking I am so excited for this. Midlaw paying more than I ever imagined to make per/hr., I think I sounded stupid on the phone because I just kept repeating "Thats great" over and over as they were explaining everything.

Do I need to send an email with something like "Thank you again, I look forward to working with you in the upcoming summer" or is that just overkill and I should shut up? Basically I am now going to be paranoid that they rescind or forget about me entirely until I actually walk through the door in late May.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Paid SA position accepted 3 minutes ago! TLS was obviously the first place I was going to come to announce this! I am borderline shaking I am so excited for this. Midlaw paying more than I ever imagined to make per/hr., I think I sounded stupid on the phone because I just kept repeating "Thats great" over and over as they were explaining everything.

Do I need to send an email with something like "Thank you again, I look forward to working with you in the upcoming summer" or is that just overkill and I should shut up? Basically I am now going to be paranoid that they rescind or forget about me entirely until I actually walk through the door in late May.

Score! Congrats

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Paid SA position accepted 3 minutes ago! TLS was obviously the first place I was going to come to announce this! I am borderline shaking I am so excited for this. Midlaw paying more than I ever imagined to make per/hr., I think I sounded stupid on the phone because I just kept repeating "Thats great" over and over as they were explaining everything.

Congrats man!

You'll have to tell me all about this sometime this week!

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 pm

1. Congrats.
2. You are crazy, chill out and enjoy! No need to e-mail them.

foxtrottortxof

Postby foxtrottortxof » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

TTH wrote:When you blast out resumes and get an interview, is it more similar to a callback or a screener?

With big firms, it's very obvious when it's a callback, because they'll fly you out, put you in a hotel, have half a day of interviews, all that jazz. I only interviewed with two firms, one of which had a screener and callback and the other went straight to callback.

foxtrottortxof

Postby foxtrottortxof » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any 2L or 3L care to comment on the utility of splitting a 1L summer? Do you think it's viewed as a negative by employers during 2L OCI? I'm wondering if they'd have the notion that someone splitting a summer spent too little time at each internship to complete substantive work.

Both are great opportunities. Both in different markets, but I really want to create ties to one of the markets. Currently have no connection to that market.

I'd really like someone to answer this since I am splitting my summer

I thought about doing this so I asked around. It doesn't really matter for firms at 2L OCI unless you want to try to spend your summer at the firm you SA'ed with 1L summer, in which case splitting is bad in most places. Texas is an outlier in that splitting is okay, but generally it hurts you with a particular firm to even ask. They want you to love them; loving = spend your whole summer there. Again, other firms don't much care. If one is a better choice, don't split. If you need the ties, why not go all the way with that place? Is the other choice better money/prestige/career exploration?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Congrats!!! Knew everything would work out for you :D.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks for all the congrats guys, definitely a huge weight off my shoulders. Good luck to all those still looking, plenty of firms and state judges are still posting opening positions so its definitely not too late.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

So awesome, congrats!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Still unemployed, na na na na na na.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:Still unemployed, na na na na na na.

You hear back from the RA position yet?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Still unemployed, na na na na na na.

You hear back from the RA position yet?

Not yet, the fellowship awards go out sometime in the next week or two. I feel like I sort of shot myself in the foot with the SA interviewing process. I'm in a strong position for next year for it, but I had to remove myself entirely from judicial internships. We even have a lottery system here where you get assigned to a judge (7 or 8 of which were Article III), but the application due date was 4 days before I got dinged.

I'm praying for the fellowship, if I get it it'll be the best possible thing for my follow up OCI with the midlaw boutique because I can research in their practice area. Still being unemployed in mid-March sucks.

Big grats on the SA position, be sure to kill it man 8)

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm

foxtrottortxof wrote:
TTH wrote:When you blast out resumes and get an interview, is it more similar to a callback or a screener?

With big firms, it's very obvious when it's a callback, because they'll fly you out, put you in a hotel, have half a day of interviews, all that jazz. I only interviewed with two firms, one of which had a screener and callback and the other went straight to callback.

Yeah, this isn't that big a firm. Secondary market, 100 or so attorneys, no offer to pay expenses, but your latter point is nice to hear. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 am

Anyone know how intense the background check is at DOJ for 1Ls?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 am

Boom! Congrats :D

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how intense the background check is at DOJ for 1Ls?

All I know is no marijuana over the past year. Two friends had to decline jobs post-acceptance for this reason after seeing the background requirements. Luckily both landed on their feet.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:21 pm

still no job ...would take anything at this point :/

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:still no job ...would take anything at this point :/

Paper the town with more apps. People will say this isn't a good strategy but I really think at this point, especially if you are willing to take anything, I would just send out at least 10 a day. State judges, DA, PD, PI Neighborhood Legal Services, Small firms, etc.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

traehekat wrote:

So awesome, congrats!

Seriously. It's the best feeling in the world - buy yourself a nice dinner or something tonight, you deserve it.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm

thanks, BarbellDreams and Congrats btw! will do, but it's getting so late, for example the DA offices due dates have passed a while ago. But I will start sending out more apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Top 1-5% (not #1 though) at a school in the 30s. 5 years of GOOD work experience. Sent out roughly 300 resumes/cover letters. Best I could land is an RA gig.

Le sigh.

foxtrottortxof

Postby foxtrottortxof » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1-5% (not #1 though) at a school in the 30s. 5 years of GOOD work experience. Sent out roughly 300 resumes/cover letters. Best I could land is an RA gig.

Le sigh.

Have you had someone look over your resume and done mock interviews? I did 3 of the latter before any of my real interviews--it helped a lot.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1-5% (not #1 though) at a school in the 30s. 5 years of GOOD work experience. Sent out roughly 300 resumes/cover letters. Best I could land is an RA gig.

Le sigh.

Did you only applied to paid jobs?

A RA gig is perfectly fine. No need to be down on yourself about it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Weee, got solicited to apply for an RA job with a professor because of how well I did in her class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm

foxtrottortxof wrote:

Le sigh.

Have you had someone look over your resume and done mock interviews? I did 3 of the latter before any of my real interviews--it helped a lot.

I think the main question is how many interviews? If you've had a lot of interviews without an offer it may be the interview skills. If not many interviews then I feel like its either something on the resume or maybe you sent out 300 apps to all top flight firms. I admit that although I sent 87 apps before landing my job about 30 of them were simply unrealistic V100 firms since I go to a T2.

Return to “Legal Employment”