1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
get it to x

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby get it to x » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
get it to x wrote: If the DA's office is in Brooklyn, I've heard horror stories about interning and working there. Nothing on Bronx or Queens offices though.

Could you share what these horror stories are?

Let me preface these comments that I've never worked or interned in their office, but have two close friends who have. The office is run like an assembly line so as an intern you will be working on a lot of meaningless paperwork (which sometimes is alright as long as you get exposure to the entire operation), but no exposure to real stuff. No depositions, nothing. A reason for this is, from what I understand, their structure. Most of the good cases are handled by the top DA's and there's a huge drop off in terms of casework with assistant DA's (who have interns working under them). So they're essentially doing a lot of periphery work either on big cases or handling a lot of run of the mill ones. The biggest gripe from my friends was that there was no exposure and did not get much out of it other than how to efficiently process paperwork.

I understand that Brooklyn does not even interview their candidates, but just emails acceptances to people who make the cut and goes from there. My friends said that this led to an unbalanced summer class and not bringing other students who they felt would have had a bigger passion for this type of work.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

I would think the DA in Brooklyn is so overrun with cases that the only way they could possibly get all their work done in a timely (or whatever it is they consider timely these days) way is to have an assembly line type process. People may complain about not getting exposure but if thats how the system in NY works then they are getting exposure. They just arent getting the L&O: SVU type exposure they dreamed of.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:I would think the DA in Brooklyn is so overrun with cases that the only way they could possibly get all their work done in a timely (or whatever it is they consider timely these days) way is to have an assembly line type process. People may complain about not getting exposure but if thats how the system in NY works then they are getting exposure. They just arent getting the L&O: SVU type exposure they dreamed of.

That could certainly be the case. I can only speak to the info that was given to me. I worked in another NYC office during the semester and had a completely different experience. But it was enough for me to not apply to the Brooklyn office. Maybe if Tynes steps down/retires things will change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:36 pm

get it to x wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
get it to x wrote: If the DA's office is in Brooklyn, I've heard horror stories about interning and working there. Nothing on Bronx or Queens offices though.

Let me preface these comments that I've never worked or interned in their office, but have two close friends who have. The office is run like an assembly line so as an intern you will be working on a lot of meaningless paperwork (which sometimes is alright as long as you get exposure to the entire operation), but no exposure to real stuff. No depositions, nothing. A reason for this is, from what I understand, their structure. Most of the good cases are handled by the top DA's and there's a huge drop off in terms of casework with assistant DA's (who have interns working under them). So they're essentially doing a lot of periphery work either on big cases or handling a lot of run of the mill ones. The biggest gripe from my friends was that there was no exposure and did not get much out of it other than how to efficiently process paperwork.

I understand that Brooklyn does not even interview their candidates, but just emails acceptances to people who make the cut and goes from there. My friends said that this led to an unbalanced summer class and not bringing other students who they felt would have had a bigger passion for this type of work.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 pm

By this time of the year, roughly what percentage of students already have 1L summer job lined up? I'm planning to do gov/PI and some of those don't ever get back to you, so I feel I just have to keep checking Symplicity and Idealist postings and keep sending shiznet until someone says yes. Ugh. What other resources can I use? I know Pslawnet has some listings as well.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm

get it to x wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, IIRC there's been a lot of bad stuff posted about the Brooklyn DA's office on Above The Law.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 pm

anyone want to volunteer to proof read my thank you letter over pm?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The most annoying thing in this whole process is the dead silence from most places. Like, are you people so unprofessional that you can't return my email or phone inquiry and say, "Sorry, we don't have a program" or "Our internships have been filled" or "Thanks, we got your resume and we'll be in touch"? Really annoying.

Firms were good about this, but other stuff is just awful.

No wonder so many PI people end up in big law anyway. OCI seem a lot easier than this shit.

Yup. I'm into PI, want to do it when I graduate, my resume supports it, and pretty much the only interviews i've gotten have been through OCI. WTF? Most PI places didn't even have the courtesy to return my phone calls.

Yup, it's awful. God bless the government for liking my prior work experience.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:52 am

get it to x wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This isn't true, or at least not in all cases. I've worked at this office in the past and and had a great experience, and some of my friends who spent their 1L summers did as well.

Bottom line is that it does depend a bit on which department you land in, but a lot of the negative opinions on the office are unfounded, in my opinion.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I need a job.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:15 pm

goosey wrote:I need a job.

go get one

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm

I assumed I'd hear from at least 2 of my interviews today. Nothing yet. It's quite nerve wracking. Then I realized that perhaps they mailed my rejections, and since i'm on vacation, that's just annoying.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

go get one

trying. was told I might not hear back for a long time from one interview. kind of sucks.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The most annoying thing in this whole process is the dead silence from most places. Like, are you people so unprofessional that you can't return my email or phone inquiry and say, "Sorry, we don't have a program" or "Our internships have been filled" or "Thanks, we got your resume and we'll be in touch"? Really annoying.

Firms were good about this, but other stuff is just awful.

No wonder so many PI people end up in big law anyway. OCI seem a lot easier than this shit.

Yup. I'm into PI, want to do it when I graduate, my resume supports it, and pretty much the only interviews i've gotten have been through OCI. WTF? Most PI places didn't even have the courtesy to return my phone calls.

Yup, it's awful. God bless the government for liking my prior work experience.

PI is a wretched, wretched career path. Working for a firm is much more humane (oh, the irony)!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm

GeePee wrote:
get it to x wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This isn't true, or at least not in all cases. I've worked at this office in the past and and had a great experience, and some of my friends who spent their 1L summers did as well.

Bottom line is that it does depend a bit on which department you land in, but a lot of the negative opinions on the office are unfounded, in my opinion.

Glad you had a much more productive/enjoyable summer than I did. My experience pretty much lines up with what has already been said. Wouldn't go back there in a second. If you want interesting DA work, look at the other offices. They put your feet to the fire immediately.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 pm

goosey wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

go get one

trying. was told I might not hear back for a long time from one interview. kind of sucks.

Yeah, both of my interviews have said don't expect an answer till mid-April...yeah, thats a problem for me...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yeah, both of my interviews have said don't expect an answer till mid-April...yeah, thats a problem for me...

Mid-April? Jeez that's criminal.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
goosey wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

go get one

Yeah, both of my interviews have said don't expect an answer till mid-April...yeah, thats a problem for me...

wow, that really sucks. I really like the place I interviewed at yesterday and was hoping to just hear back soon. One girl that interviewed with them last year told me she had an offer that afternoon..another told me she got a rejection email and then an offer email a week later b/c none of the offers accepted the position.

Maybe they are avoiding making any decisions at all in order to make sure the same thing doesnt happen this yr...

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:05 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yeah, both of my interviews have said don't expect an answer till mid-April...yeah, thats a problem for me...

If they cared about me, they'd say mid-May. Then I could watch a gigantic BarbellDreams meltdown because of both jobs and finals.

With mid-April, either you get a job and are relaxed during finals or you don't get a job, give up, and just take the OGR3 approach to studying.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Still unemployed, and slowly starting to care less and less that I am unemployed. If I don't get this RA fellowship I'll probably revert into panic mode, but I'm like 75% sure I will.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 pm

rad law wrote:

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rad law wrote:

Christ that sucks. What do they expect you to do if they don't take you?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:Still unemployed, and slowly starting to care less and less that I am unemployed. If I don't get this RA fellowship I'll probably revert into panic mode, but I'm like 75% sure I will.

I just went crazy and called about 20 different trusts and estates firms asking if they need interns for summer. Got one yes, but it was more of a "hmm..I hadnt really thought about it.." but he seemed intrigued by the fact that I called him asking and said I should send him my resume. Hopefully he wasn't just being nice and will actually consider it.

I sent him my resume less than an hour later. I am like the super fat girl at the bar that gets no lovin'

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 pm

TTH wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rad law wrote:

Christ that sucks. What do they expect you to do if they don't take you?

Thats my point, I'm not really sure. The thing is these two are my #1 and #2 fav options if I had the choice. Idk, I may just play it safe and start calling state judges and take one of them if offered. Apparently barely anyone is applying to state judges and I have an in with a few of them through professors who I have spoken to about interning with a judge.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:16 pm

the good thing is that a lot of your competitors will drop out before the dead line as they get other jobs

Return to “Legal Employment”