1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 am

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was fortunate enough to be offered a summer externship position with a federal district court judge today. Unfortunately, I am also waiting to hear back from a few law firms. I told the judge this, and she is allowing me approximately two weeks to let her know my decision. However, she said that if another qualified applicant comes and accepts the position, that applicant get the job (which is only fair).

Has anyone had an experience like this? I already e-mailed the firms and let them know of my deadline, but I don't want to end up waiting so long that I lose this awesome externship.

Did you have callbacks with the firms? If not, just take the externship.

Poster here. Yes, all were ~4 hour callbacks. While I felt pretty good about the interviews, I have no idea how many other students they are considering. Very nerve-wracking.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did you have callbacks with the firms? If not, just take the externship.

Poster here. Yes, all were ~4 hour callbacks. While I felt pretty good about the interviews, I have no idea how many other students they are considering. Very nerve-wracking.[/quote]
Well in that case, I retract my previous statement. If the judge is serious about giving you time to think about it, then I'd wait it out with these firms.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 am

Dinged from last firm CB and all firms.

Totals

5 OCI interviews (market with no ties) -> 1 CB
11 firm hometown mass mail -> 1 CB, 1 informational
6ish targeted mailers (markets I have ties) -> 1 screener

Sending email to accept job w/Feds as we speak.

edit: only govt. position to which I applied.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

rad law wrote:Dinged from last firm CB and all firms.

Totals

5 OCI interviews (market with no ties) -> 1 CB
11 firm hometown mass mail -> 1 CB, 1 informational
6ish targeted mailers (markets I have ties) -> 1 screener

Sending email to accept job w/Feds as we speak.

edit: only govt. position to which I applied.

that's too bad, bro, well not bad at all actually, at least you know that your interviewing is good enough to get CB's.

Which Fed agency?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Just landed a boutique DC law firm! Very happy to have this application ordeal behind me.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Does the fact that so many 1Ls are getting CBs bode well for 2LOCI or is the hiring disjointed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 pm

interview tomorrow with government agency---wish me luck!

if I get an offer, will likely take it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interview tomorrow with government agency---wish me luck!

Good luck, Mr. Abuse-of-the-Anonymous-Function

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

beach_terror wrote:

1L here
I completed all my interviews and was offered full partnership with a V5 firm...yeah, P-A-R-T-N-E-R...hahahahaha Better-than you.

Not really...I just wanted to abuse the anonymous function too... :(

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Veyron wrote:Does the fact that so many 1Ls are getting CBs bode well for 2LOCI or is the hiring disjointed?

I don't think this thread is representative of 1L firm hiring by any means, so I don't think we can glean much from the experiences of the people ITT.

However, I have heard some somewhat encouraging reports that 2L OCI will be much improved this year (granted, they are very anecdotal and my guess is as good as anybody's).

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Had an interview about 10 days ago for an in-house summer position. Thought it went really well, was told that I would hear back in a week.

Haven't heard back.

Questions:

1. How bad of a sign is this?

2. Friday would be two weeks. Should I call on Friday? Call on Monday?

Feel like such a pawn!

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 pm

What do you do about federal judges that are taking their sweet time to hire? I'm still in contention with 3 federal judges, all secondary markets. They haven't hired yet, but I still haven't gotten an interview with any of them. Emailed the clerks already and was told "judge will start reviewing applications soon." How do I handle this? It's getting really late in the year for me to hold out for one of them.

I struck out at 1L OCI and fed agencies, so what do I do now? Start looking at RA positions? I have a PT one locked down, working on trying to get another one. Should I start looking at state courts or smaller personal injury firms? I like PI work and I did a little of it before I went to law school. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Had an interview about 10 days ago for an in-house summer position. Thought it went really well, was told that I would hear back in a week.

Haven't heard back.

Questions:

Feel like such a pawn!

Bad sign from my experience. Rejections take longer, and usually come by mail. I'd check in ASAP if they said you'd hear within a week. However, your rejection letter is probably in the mail.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I don't know what I did wrong with my application, but there are people who scored far worse than I did (I'm top 5 at school right now) and who have no work experience and they got USAO interviews and I didn't. FML.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:20 pm

So far I have two offers and one upcoming interview. Can anyone help me rank these positions? I'm very happy to even have a choice, but I'm pretty confused at this point.

1) Offer from a small firm (10-15 attornies).
2) Offer from a DA's Office in one of the NY boroughs.
3) Upcoming interview with a state equity & probate judge.

They're all very different, and I'm not sure if one would look better than the other or give me better experience. Help?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Okay, so maybe I am a little bit paranoid. But I could easily be outed if someone checked my recent posts. Better safe than sorry :)

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Had an interview about 10 days ago for an in-house summer position. Thought it went really well, was told that I would hear back in a week.

Haven't heard back.

Questions:

Feel like such a pawn!

Check posts above. Response times can vary and apparently even a month wait is possible. This makes sense considering 1) employers have 1Ls over a barrel given the econ; and 2) that in all likelihood, you were interviewed for a position with many great applicants, so it'll take time for them to consider all their options.

I wouldn't contact them yet.
Last edited by drdolittle on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Whats the dress code for an RA interview. Slacks and button up shirt okay?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Whats the dress code for an RA interview. Slacks and button up shirt okay?

I remember seeing a thread on this (http://goo.gl/TfJul) and the consensus was yes. i.e. no need to dress up too much.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Stupid question here: If you are interning with a trial judge, what are you doing except for observing? With any appellate level work you're writing briefs 99% of the time (During my state supreme court judge interview they flat out said that you are writing 1 bench memo per day the entire summer). With a trial level judge I assume there is no memo until trial is over since you are waiting for testimony and evidence, so....what do interns do?

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Stupid question here: If you are interning with a trial judge, what are you doing except for observing? With any appellate level work you're writing briefs 99% of the time (During my state supreme court judge interview they flat out said that you are writing 1 bench memo per day the entire summer). With a trial level judge I assume there is no memo until trial is over since you are waiting for testimony and evidence, so....what do interns do?

observe courtoom proceedings, write motions for summary judgment/motion to dismiss...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So far I have two offers and one upcoming interview. Can anyone help me rank these positions? I'm very happy to even have a choice, but I'm pretty confused at this point.

They're all very different, and I'm not sure if one would look better than the other or give me better experience. Help?

1) What kind of work does the small firm do? Is it a practice area you want to get into in the future? Does it pay? Do you have the potential to get an offer for 2L summer that pays and can lead to permanent employment?
2) Do you have interest in criminal work?
3) Working for a judge is fine if the firm doesn't pay and won't lead anywhere and you have zero interest in criminal work.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Whats the dress code for an RA interview. Slacks and button up shirt okay?

I went in regular clothes but I knew the professor.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 pm

mths wrote:

I went in regular clothes but I knew the professor.

TITCR

Analyze your relationship, if it's a professor you have had why would they expect anything but the clothes you wore all semester

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So far I have two offers and one upcoming interview. Can anyone help me rank these positions? I'm very happy to even have a choice, but I'm pretty confused at this point.

1) What kind of work does the small firm do? Is it a practice area you want to get into in the future? Does it pay? Do you have the potential to get an offer for 2L summer that pays and can lead to permanent employment?
2) Do you have interest in criminal work?
3) Working for a judge is fine if the firm doesn't pay and won't lead anywhere and you have zero interest in criminal work.

1) The firm does a little bit of everything, including arts & entertainment law, which is of particular interest to me. The partner who interviewed me is extremely flexible and basically told me I can jump in on whatever projects seem interesting. It's part time and unpaid, but if all goes well over the summer I have the option of working there during 2L and maybe next summer. Since it's part time I'd either have to find another legal job (maybe RA?) or maybe bartend.

2) I find criminal work interesting and I have no idea if it's something I'd want to do in the future, which is why I applied to the DA's office. I figure, I'll finally know if it's something I'd like to pursue. I've heard that even if you don't end up liking the work it's great experience.

The firm seems to make the most sense, but like I said I'm confused and I've heard so many different things. One of my professors told me to take a clerkship if I get it because you can always work at a firm later. Two different attornies I've spoken to told me to take the DA position.

Return to “Legal Employment”