1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mythosopher wrote:I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?

Same here. I got one interview and it was for an RA position, so I don't think that even counts. T14, ~3.7. Not really sure what to do now if I don't get that RA spot.

What do you mean "I don't think that even counts," I'm psyched for my RA

I didn't mean the position itself. I was more referring to the fact that it seems like he interviewed every single person that applied, so it's not like my resume or cover got me the interview.

I will be very psyched if I get this position.

I feel like everyone on TLS hates on RA positions, but I think its great. Personal relationship w/ my favorite faculty, enough money to cover food and rent, and flexible hours so I can enjoy what will likely be the last summer "break" I have for decades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 am

Yeah, I phrased it badly. I think RA positions are solid, especially since they allow you to pay your rent and have some money for living expenses.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I phrased it badly. I think RA positions are solid, especially since they allow you to pay your rent and have some money for living expenses.

Mine is 20hr/wk, I'm hoping to stack something with it. If I can't find anything better, I have a solo friend I can do some stuff for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 pm

I just had an interview with a state judge that was so weird. I just met with the clerk, the judge was out of town. It lasted 10 minutes. Very few questions were asked, it was basically a brief discussion about law school. I get the impression the interns have no responsibility. When I walked out, all I could think was "how the fuck do they pick interns when they don't ask anything and they don't need anything from the interns?".

This was my 5th interview, I have only gotten one ding. I have no hope for the others. God, I hope this process is over soon.

I just needed to vent. Thanks to those who keep posting in here, this thread has done a lot to help me keep my sanity.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Just scored a paying firm gig for the summer and part time during 2L if we all get along.
Last edited by jkay on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Cupidity wrote:I feel like everyone on TLS hates on RA positions, but I think its great. Personal relationship w/ my favorite faculty, enough money to cover food and rent, and flexible hours so I can enjoy what will likely be the last summer "break" I have for decades.

They're a good gig, I won't deny that. I just know for me (and likely for many others on TLS), RA gigs aren't really giving you exposure or experience in a real legal setting. It would be fine for the resume and I'm sure it won't hurt you down the road, but I want to actually see what firm/office life is like and be involved in some legal work. I'm ready to get out of the confines of legal academia and into the real world a little bit (even as just "the intern"), which is why I didn't bother with RA stuff.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I feel like everyone on TLS hates on RA positions, but I think its great. Personal relationship w/ my favorite faculty, enough money to cover food and rent, and flexible hours so I can enjoy what will likely be the last summer "break" I have for decades.

They're a good gig, I won't deny that. I just know for me (and likely for many others on TLS), RA gigs aren't really giving you exposure or experience in a real legal setting. It would be fine for the resume and I'm sure it won't hurt you down the road, but I want to actually see what firm/office life is like and be involved in some legal work. I'm ready to get out of the confines of legal academia and into the real world a little bit (even as just "the intern"), which is why I didn't bother with RA stuff.

Firms > RA, but I personally think RA > everything else. Judicial shit is cool and "prestigious" but I had zero interest in doing it because a lot of people I talked to seemed to indicate it didn't really benefit their legal arsenal. At least as an RA, you hone your writing and research skillz.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Two hiring peeps (one firm and one in a government office) said they view the 1L job hierarchy as follows:

Firm/office/agency
Judge
RA
Taking classes
Waiting tables
Nothing

But they also said that with only a few exceptions, the difference between those top three isn't very much at all. I think for the most part, all three of them are roughly equal. I really don't think it is something to fret about at all, and I think all three can lead to important connections and give you something to talk about at OCI.

SkepticalHippo

Postby SkepticalHippo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:19 pm

If you receive a letter from a judge that they are "assessing hiring needs" and that someone "will be in touch with you within the next few weeks", is it appropriate to follow up with interest and availability or just sit back and wait? If I am interested but have other interviews lined up and I know that I will have to let people know, is it appropriate to share this with them?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Two hiring peeps (one firm and one in a government office) said they view the 1L job hierarchy as follows:

Firm/office/agency
Judge
RA
Taking classes
Waiting tables
Nothing

But they also said that with only a few exceptions, the difference between those top three isn't very much at all. I think for the most part, all three of them are roughly equal. I really don't think it is something to fret about at all, and I think all three can lead to important connections and give you something to talk about at OCI.

So, is there any differentiation between lower court state judge and art III judge other than the perception of "prestige"? What about small firms? Still better than judges?

You put the scale out there, so now I'm curious

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Has anyone got it in with the NYC Law Department? I've applied, and they sent an acknowledgment of receipt email and said the file is under consideration. Safe to assume the email is standard, but how long did it go under review before they called for an interview?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:05 pm

How critical is timing in applying for RA positions? Do profs generally take whoever they can get first, or do they pool applications and select later in the summer job hunt to avoid conflicting with clerkships and firm jobs? What happens if after accepting an RA position, a clerkship or firm job miraculously materializes? Could one then just beg off the RA position?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 pm

SkepticalHippo wrote:If you receive a letter from a judge that they are "assessing hiring needs" and that someone "will be in touch with you within the next few weeks", is it appropriate to follow up with interest and availability or just sit back and wait? If I am interested but have other interviews lined up and I know that I will have to let people know, is it appropriate to share this with them?

E-mail them. Converse with them. Make them like you... If they like you they will be much more likely to hire you. At the least it'll get you rejected quicker and at the most will lead to a quicker interview. You have very little to lose as long as you write coherently, briefly, and purposefully. Offer to stop by and meet them if in the area and end with a question or something that gets them to want to respond.

I am not sure what you mean at the end of your post, you can communicate to them you have decisions to make shortly and this is at the top of your list, but if already accepted to another place will no longer be able to consider the judge would be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Has anyone got it in with the NYC Law Department? I've applied, and they sent an acknowledgment of receipt email and said the file is under consideration. Safe to assume the email is standard, but how long did it go under review before they called for an interview?

T20 school. 5 offers at my school. 4 accepted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Sorry that I didn't answer the rest of your question about the NYC Law Dept. They interviewed at my school, so I can't really tell you how long they take on mailers. I got an offer about 3 weeks after my interview. However, I believe they are done with their offers for paid positions for this summer, and are absolutely done with interviews. If your are interested in working there after graduation, it is better to work there 2L summer anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

I was fortunate enough to be offered a summer externship position with a federal district court judge today. Unfortunately, I am also waiting to hear back from a few law firms. I told the judge this, and she is allowing me approximately two weeks to let her know my decision. However, she said that if another qualified applicant comes and accepts the position, that applicant get the job (which is only fair).

Has anyone had an experience like this? I already e-mailed the firms and let them know of my deadline, but I don't want to end up waiting so long that I lose this awesome externship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry that I didn't answer the rest of your question about the NYC Law Dept. They interviewed at my school, so I can't really tell you how long they take on mailers. I got an offer about 3 weeks after my interview. However, I believe they are done with their offers for paid positions for this summer, and are absolutely done with interviews. If your are interested in working there after graduation, it is better to work there 2L summer anyway.

How do you know they are done with their offers? I just had an interview there a week and a half ago and he said their "drop dead" date for offers was April 1st. They didn't interview at my school until late Feb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:

The only reason I genuinely would not take an RA position is because of how poorly they're regarded by many attorneys I know. I remember I asked an attorney on a hiring committee at a firm I'd love to be at for advice and one of things he said was "Do not be a Research Assistant." He said it doesn't matter how 'interesting' the research is, it's rarely interesting to the employer.

Sure, it's merely the opinion of 10 or so attorneys that I know, and thus not representative, but it's enough for me to go for something more substantive.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The only reason I genuinely would not take an RA position is because of how poorly they're regarded by many attorneys I know. I remember I asked an attorney on a hiring committee at a firm I'd love to be at for advice and one of things he said was "Do not be a Research Assistant." He said it doesn't matter how 'interesting' the research is, it's rarely interesting to the employer.

Sure, it's merely the opinion of 10 or so attorneys that I know, and thus not representative, but it's enough for me to go for something more substantive.

i agree with this. it's not going to kill you if you are at at top school with top grades, but it isnt going to help you if your not. It's not real (hands-on) legal work.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Has anyone got it in with the NYC Law Department? I've applied, and they sent an acknowledgment of receipt email and said the file is under consideration. Safe to assume the email is standard, but how long did it go under review before they called for an interview?

I got rejected by them on Valentines day. So, I'm guessing not hearing anything is a good thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Hh
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry that I didn't answer the rest of your question about the NYC Law Dept. They interviewed at my school, so I can't really tell you how long they take on mailers. I got an offer about 3 weeks after my interview. However, I believe they are done with their offers for paid positions for this summer, and are absolutely done with interviews. If your are interested in working there after graduation, it is better to work there 2L summer anyway.

How do you know they are done with their offers? I just had an interview there a week and a half ago and he said their "drop dead" date for offers was April 1st. They didn't interview at my school until late Feb.

I don't know for sure. I was basing what I said on the number of offers and accptances that I'm aware of. It's entirely possible that more offers come out in the next few weeks. However, they are definitely done with interviews.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hh
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know for sure. I was basing what I said on the number of offers and accptances that I'm aware of. It's entirely possible that more offers come out in the next few weeks. However, they are definitely done with interviews.

Actually, according to their site, they still have some unpaid positions to fill - but they have filled all paid positions.
I have something for the second half of the summer - I'm only looking for something for the first half...I'm not expecting an interview as I don't know if they will split the summer.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 am

drdolittle wrote:How critical is timing in applying for RA positions? Do profs generally take whoever they can get first, or do they pool applications and select later in the summer job hunt to avoid conflicting with clerkships and firm jobs? What happens if after accepting an RA position, a clerkship or firm job miraculously materializes? Could one then just beg off the RA position?

My prof contacted me. Many 1L professors will do this. With other profs, its generally the first qualified person who gets the position. It varies from person to person as to whether you can renege but many will allow you to.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was fortunate enough to be offered a summer externship position with a federal district court judge today. Unfortunately, I am also waiting to hear back from a few law firms. I told the judge this, and she is allowing me approximately two weeks to let her know my decision. However, she said that if another qualified applicant comes and accepts the position, that applicant get the job (which is only fair).

Has anyone had an experience like this? I already e-mailed the firms and let them know of my deadline, but I don't want to end up waiting so long that I lose this awesome externship.

Did you have callbacks with the firms? If not, just take the externship.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was fortunate enough to be offered a summer externship position with a federal district court judge today. Unfortunately, I am also waiting to hear back from a few law firms. I told the judge this, and she is allowing me approximately two weeks to let her know my decision. However, she said that if another qualified applicant comes and accepts the position, that applicant get the job (which is only fair).

Take the externship.

Return to “Legal Employment”