1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview for a corporate in-house legal internship. Problem is, they're conducting the screening interview at their office, and it's 4 hours away. I asked if the trip would be reimbursed, and they said no. Is it worth it to still go? Gas is pretty damn expensive these days, not to mention the 8 hour round-trip, just for a 30 min screening interview.


The questions for me would be 1) is it a paid internship and 2) what are your other option.


paid...not as much as biglaw, but a decent $1500/week

no other options yet, but I have an unpaid backup plan through connections if all else fails

I think we have different definitions of "decent".


My thoughts exactly.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:07 pm

finally accepted a position!

interning with a state judge. she said i can work as little or as many hours as i'd like over the summer. i'm hoping to lock up something else part time (very small firm or RA) and do both.

:)

ETA: this thread has helped me keep my sanity, and has also been extremely helpful with the search!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on a trial level criminal court internship doing really interesting work or a federal magistrate district court internship? Does the prestige factor of the federal internship take a hit because it's not with a main district court judge? Major city (not NY though) in both instances.


I just had a similar interview today and will likely be in the same position although my other option is civil court. Thoughts?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

OMG so I am starting to freak out!! I have nothing. I have had a few interviews including one call back and I have sent my resume to over 50 places and nothing yet!! Is this normal? I am at a T6 with well above median grades- probably top 1/4 or higher.

I sent stuff out to Public interest places way back in January and I have not heard from a single one of them yet. WTF is that about?

I had my resume looked at by a partner at a downtown firm and OCS (although they are useless)and I think I am a decent interviewer, but I just don't know what I am doing wrong!!

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby get it to x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 pm

swc65 wrote:OMG so I am starting to freak out!! I have nothing. I have had a few interviews including one call back and I have sent my resume to over 50 places and nothing yet!! Is this normal? I am at a T6 with well above median grades- probably top 1/4 or higher.

I sent stuff out to Public interest places way back in January and I have not heard from a single one of them yet. WTF is that about?

I had my resume looked at by a partner at a downtown firm and OCS (although they are useless)and I think I am a decent interviewer, but I just don't know what I am doing wrong!!


While the consensus on TLS is that 1L hiring for decent positions is over, some of my 1L friends told me as of last week that some federal judges are still hiring interns and most of the non-uber prestigious public interest positions (DA offices etc.) are just beginning to sort through resumes. There is hope for you especially coming from a T6. I would say though that 50 places might not have been enough. People have literally been carpet bombing their areas with hundreds of resumes.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 pm

phonepro wrote:finally accepted a position!

interning with a state judge. she said i can work as little or as many hours as i'd like over the summer. i'm hoping to lock up something else part time (very small firm or RA) and do both.

:)

ETA: this thread has helped me keep my sanity, and has also been extremely helpful with the search!


congrats, sounds like a relaxing gig

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 pm

phonepro wrote:finally accepted a position!

interning with a state judge. she said i can work as little or as many hours as i'd like over the summer. i'm hoping to lock up something else part time (very small firm or RA) and do both.

:)

ETA: this thread has helped me keep my sanity, and has also been extremely helpful with the search!


Congrats!

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm

get it to x wrote:
swc65 wrote:OMG so I am starting to freak out!! I have nothing. I have had a few interviews including one call back and I have sent my resume to over 50 places and nothing yet!! Is this normal? I am at a T6 with well above median grades- probably top 1/4 or higher.

I sent stuff out to Public interest places way back in January and I have not heard from a single one of them yet. WTF is that about?

I had my resume looked at by a partner at a downtown firm and OCS (although they are useless)and I think I am a decent interviewer, but I just don't know what I am doing wrong!!


While the consensus on TLS is that 1L hiring for decent positions is over, some of my 1L friends told me as of last week that some federal judges are still hiring interns and most of the non-uber prestigious public interest positions (DA offices etc.) are just beginning to sort through resumes. There is hope for you especially coming from a T6. I would say though that 50 places might not have been enough. People have literally been carpet bombing their areas with hundreds of resumes.



ya I know firm gigs are out. I just want something! I app;lied too late for firm stuff, I know that. I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself for OCI next year by working at PowerScore or something.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Still unemployed. lolfuck

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Dinged today from a job I really wanted. Getting a little frustrated.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm

For people who are getting discouraged, I just heard back from a few govt agencies in the last few weeks. There's still hope!

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:For people who are getting discouraged, I just heard back from a few govt agencies in the last few weeks. There's still hope!


BIGELLENDEGENERESLAW

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Ha! Columbia recently posted a $10/hr job on Symplicity where one of the duties is "Other administrative tasks such as filing, copying, etc." Wow.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 pm

CG614 wrote:Ha! Columbia recently posted a $10/hr job on Symplicity where one of the duties is "Other administrative tasks such as filing, copying, etc." Wow.


Do they take apps from other schools?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CG614 wrote:Ha! Columbia recently posted a $10/hr job on Symplicity where one of the duties is "Other administrative tasks such as filing, copying, etc." Wow.


Do they take apps from other schools?

We get those here too, but we're also a TTTTTT.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CG614 wrote:Ha! Columbia recently posted a $10/hr job on Symplicity where one of the duties is "Other administrative tasks such as filing, copying, etc." Wow.


Do they take apps from other schools?


lol

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby 174 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 pm

What does TLS think about working with a solo for the summer? Practices real estate, employment, and immigration.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm

174 wrote:What does TLS think about working with a solo for the summer? Practices real estate, employment, and immigration.


While I heard that working with any "firm" under 5 attorneys isn't great, its late in the game, take anything.

Also, I second all the frustration everyone else has experienced on here. App #84 was sent out today. My other big gripe is that all the places I interviewed with said they won't let me know till early to mid April which is tough because you can't bank on those jobs since if you get dinged you're basically unemployed by then. I am getting VERY close to just taking ANYTHING at this point but am taking one last shot through some connections to see if a few state judges who went to law school with my prof will hire me. After that its banking on PD/DA taking me (Already interviewed, but they won't know till mid April) or having fun this summer and then working the unemployment line for the next 40 years.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am

hey everyone, 1L here w/ no job and bad grades. Applying to more jobs and have been watching this thread for advice. Any possibility someone can PM me some Cover Letter samples for firms (small firms coming this week to school) as well as for government jobs?

I am concerned that I have not gotten any callbacks because my cover letters are forgettable. While I know that we may not have the same experience, just curious to see what some people wrote, and how personable they sound. Thanks! Good luck everyone

mythosopher
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mythosopher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 am

I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby get it to x » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am

mythosopher wrote:I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?


I don't know if you were wedded to the idea of firm work, but I would expand your scope a bit. You just want something legal-related at the end of the day. If it's an unpaid position, try to get credit/work-study etc. so you're getting something out of it besides experience. Sometimes the non-paying positions pay off big time if it's a judge who has firm/gov't connections. Beats the hell out of going through OCI disappointment. And it's still relatively early. Most TLSer's are major self-starters who got their stuff in early. That's why you see posters locking stuff down early. I'm not saying prestigious gov't/biglaw firm positions aren't full (they most likely are or are getting close to it), but a lot of opportunities remain especially if the closing date for resume submissions was mid/late Feb.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:19 am

mythosopher wrote:I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?


Same here. I got one interview and it was for an RA position, so I don't think that even counts. T14, ~3.7. Not really sure what to do now if I don't get that RA spot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:51 am

Had a callback with a biglaw firm. Got dinged. Was SUCH a letdown. It's a huge jump between thinking you might get a 1L SA and then an offer to come back 2L v. scrambling to get something unpaid just to avoid unemployment.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mythosopher wrote:I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?


Same here. I got one interview and it was for an RA position, so I don't think that even counts. T14, ~3.7. Not really sure what to do now if I don't get that RA spot.


What do you mean "I don't think that even counts," I'm psyched for my RA

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 am

Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mythosopher wrote:I seriously starting to panic a bit. I can't get a bite. Not even an interview. I think part of my problem is that I didn't apply to enough places. I hear that applying to local, smaller firms isn't too late in the game? Anything else? I'm desperate at this point to even get an interview, although I don't know why. Upper T2, okay grades, great experience... :cry: Any advice?


Same here. I got one interview and it was for an RA position, so I don't think that even counts. T14, ~3.7. Not really sure what to do now if I don't get that RA spot.


What do you mean "I don't think that even counts," I'm psyched for my RA


I didn't mean the position itself. I was more referring to the fact that it seems like he interviewed every single person that applied, so it's not like my resume or cover got me the interview.

I will be very psyched if I get this position.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.